• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am finished extending common courtesy of the road to women

F350

[RANT] I am finished extending common courtesy of the road to women; done, finished, no more, period!!!!!!!

3 days in row when trying to exit a convince store I go to the exit, traffic light to the right, I want to go left, so I go to the furthest exit, left turn signal on, traffic light red and a woman pulls right in front of me, looking straight ahead like she doesn't even know I exist and blocks me in. Now 9 out of 10 men would stop far enough back I could get out, 99 out of 100 women will do what these 3 did!!!

Just now was the last straw; we have right turn lanes that go behind the traffic light pole with a short merge lane so you don't even have a yield. My way had the green, the road split ahead and the major traffic flow goes right so right lane is full. A women comes onto the merge beside me, nobody to the left so I pull over and let her in, she is not quite up to speed, falls back a bit opening enough room so I can get back in, I turn on my right turn signal and she speeds up and shuts me off!!!!!!!!!

So; until just 1 woman extends me a common courtesy of the road I WILL NOT give a woman on the road a single inch, nothing, nadda, zilch!!!! I am even thinking about no longer holding doors, yielding to them at a door way etc, NOTHING!!! Till just a single woman extends a common courtesy to me; which may well be till **** FREEZES OVER!!!!![/RANT]

sawah

Never let someone's base behavior turn you into something less. Always take the high road. Be a gentleman because that's what a good man does. There are worse things than not being let into traffic.

SFCRetired

So, you are going to let someone else determine your course of action? I won't. I would much rather keep my cool, continue to be a courteous, defensive driver, and let the other person go their own way. It will come back to haunt them eventually.

Jack House

Was driving to Austin yesterday. While there were a number of cars on the highway, it was mostly clear. While on 71, there was this little tiny plastic car that decided she wanted to speed down the highway. Cool, I wasn't driving, otherwise we'd probably be going either about as fast as she was or a bit faster. So no complaints here. Like I said, the highway was pretty clear, no other cars around us for about half a mile. We were in the right hand lane and she was in the left. For whatever inexplicable dumbass reason, she cuts us off. Again, she's in a little plastic car and we're driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We were going about 70, but had to hit the breaks and dodge her to prevent a crash.

Stupid woman. I don't know what she was thinking or why she did that, like I said, the road was clear all around us, she didn't need in the right lane and she didn't have to merge to avoid hitting someone in front of her. She was just being stupid. She ended up going all the way to Austin. After that, though, she was clearly rattled. You could tell by the way she drove after that, keeping her distance where possible. :lol:

This is proof women shouldn't drive. eusa_snooty.gif

KBCraig

Meanwhile, some woman driver is ranting about the jerk who thinks he should be able to turn left out of a parking lot, right next to a stop light, across multiple lanes of traffic, and that it's somehow incumbent upon her to let him.

Seriously: turn right, then make the block.

Sig229

"Always be a gentlemen to everyone you meet. Not because everyone you meet deserves it, but because they will never have a chance to accuse you of NOT being a gentleman".

Sig229

Meanwhile, some woman driver is ranting about the jerk who thinks he should be able to turn left out of a parking lot, right next to a stop light, across multiple lanes of traffic, and that it's somehow incumbent upon her to let him.

Seriously: turn right, then make the block.

I can understand his anger.
The people in my area have no clue about manner son the road.
But you cant expect it all the time.

However, when you do encounter someone with proper road manners, you have to make sure they see you wave implying "thank you".

jeeper1

Interesting.
My experiences tend to go the other way with people, mostly women, stopping to let me cross the road. By that I mean I'm on my mobility scooter waiting to cross a divided highway with 2 lanes in each direction (US101) and these people with the right-of-way stop to let me cross nearly causing rear end accidents. It also happens on city streets. Usually it's only onr direction that stops and I still can't go because the other direction is still moving.
I've even had people almost cause accidents by slowing down to under 15 mph to take pictures of me going down the shoulders of roads on my big scooter. Most recently while I was going down the on ramp to US101 westbound. The woman had about 6 or 8 cars behind her and yet she almost stopped to take a picture of the scooter.
It's not that I want people to be discourtious, I just want them to think first.

Freedom1Man

Per Mile traveled

Women cause more wrecks than men do.

I have had trouble with both genders on the roadways but when I can see a car moving in a way that indicates someone is doing something stupid most of the time it's a woman. I can by observing from behind guess age range, gender, and race of who is behind the wheel. I am about 65% accurate.

Big truck failure to use signals it's normally that guy who has a 3" tool and is going bald.

Changing lanes and leaving blinker on 'forever' woman are more guilty than men. The idiot proofing of cars was for women drivers. Not saying that woman are idiots but most of them should not be behind the wheel of a car. In my experience at least.

Some women I have seen do really well and some men I have seen do rather poorly.

I guess I am saying that women EARNED the stereo type of being bad drivers.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Most of my problems on the road stem from men, oddly enough. They're usually the ones riding my ass, cutting me off or flipping me the bird for merging onto the highway. My most recent problem is with the big rigs, though. The on-ramp to the highway form where I work us essentially a big u-turn, you drive straight towards on-coming traffic then do a sharp right turn and have about 100 feet to get up to highway speeds and hope that there's a space. Well, I'll get to the speed allotted to me by the person merging in front of me, then while trying to get into traffic, a big rig that couldn't take the open left lane or tap the brakes just runs up right next to me and slows down because of the guy merging in front of me. At least 3 days this last week I've come to a complete stop so I didn't become a smear under a big rig.

I wish these guys had the courtesy that my grandpa did when he was a driver. His last drive he got cut off by a sportscar and instead of plowing through them or the vehicle to his left, he took the concrete wall to his right. I'm not saying they should all have to make that choice, but slowing down a little or moving over safely instead of trying to kill me would be nice.

KBCraig

Most of my problems on the road stem from men, oddly enough. They're usually the ones riding my ass, cutting me off or flipping me the bird for merging onto the highway.
That's aggressive driving, and you're right that it's usually men.

Oblivious driving, which the OP described, is usually by women, or by very young or very old drivers of either sex.

I prefer aggressive drivers to obliviots. You can usuallyl tell what the aggressive driver plans to do.

The ones who actually annoy me the most are the overly defensive drivers, those still abiding by those old 1970's PSAs: "Keep an eye on the other guy."

They're so busy watching what everyone else is doing, they don't bother signalling or even driving in a way that you can tell what they're about to do. They're also the knuckleheads who insist on being nice and giving way to someone who doesn't have the right of way, so that it actually takes longer than if they'd just take the way they have a right to.

papa bear

Most of my problems on the road stem from men, oddly enough. They're usually the ones riding my ass, cutting me off or flipping me the bird for merging onto the highway. My most recent problem is with the big rigs, though. The on-ramp to the highway form where I work us essentially a big u-turn, you drive straight towards on-coming traffic then do a sharp right turn and have about 100 feet to get up to highway speeds and hope that there's a space. Well, I'll get to the speed allotted to me by the person merging in front of me, then while trying to get into traffic, a big rig that couldn't take the open left lane or tap the brakes just runs up right next to me and slows down because of the guy merging in front of me. At least 3 days this last week I've come to a complete stop so I didn't become a smear under a big rig.

I wish these guys had the courtesy that my grandpa did when he was a driver. His last drive he got cut off by a sportscar and instead of plowing through them or the vehicle to his left, he took the concrete wall to his right. I'm not saying they should all have to make that choice, but slowing down a little or moving over safely instead of trying to kill me would be nice.

those trucks are 50+ ft long and weigh 40kton+. they don't move so good. if you can't handle the traffic, go another way

DangerClose

So, you are going to let someone else determine your course of action?

Yep.
If there's that much traffic, the lower risk move is to turn right.

I was pulling up to a big, multi-lane intersection without stoplights and during early evening hours when there was decent traffic and the sun was going down so it was getting dark but not everyone had their headlights on. Trying to turn left out of a store's driveway.

Coming up to the intersection, I thought to myself, "I should just turn right and then go up that-a-way. It'll be slightly longer, but less chance of an accident under these non-ideal conditions."

I did not do that.

When I thought I was clear to turn left, suddenly a dark-colored car was there "out of nowhere." I scraped up my front and their side.
I couldn't believe I didn't see them coming. Then I noticed their lights were off, and they said they had pulled out of the store's driveway to the left of the one I was at. So I was probably 35 feet to their right wanting to turn left, and they were 35 feet to my left wanting to turn right.

That was my one and only car accident.
I make more right turns now.

OC for ME

those trucks are 50+ ft long and weigh 40kton+. they don't move so good. if you can't handle the traffic, go another way
Is that a typo? '40 kilo tons +'....40 tons....OK. By the way, most roads are not suited for large trucks and therefore they are prohibited from driving on them. So, big rigs usually congregate where they are permitied to travel....4-wheelers need to get over it, the laws of physics are not on the side of the 4-wheeler.

gunns

So, you are going to let someone else determine your course of action? I won't. I would much rather keep my cool, continue to be a courteous, defensive driver, and let the other person go their own way. It will come back to haunt them eventually.

No it won't. Stupid lasts for ever.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I have to wonder at those who would lump all women together ...

... and then not expect others to lump all gun-owners together.

People are people, and refusing courtesy to any person lowers you.

Ruby

I have to wonder at those who would lump all women together ...

... and then not expect others to lump all gun-owners together.

People are people, and refusing courtesy to any person lowers you.

+100!! I have had the unfortunate experience of being rear ended while sitting at a stop light several times in my life. Every time, with one exception, it was a man that hit me. But I don't think all or even most men are bad drivers. There are good and bad drivers of both genders, just as there are responsible and irresponsible gun owners, parents, etc. etc. etc. None of us are perfect and have probably inconvienced or upset other people at one time or another. Let's all take a deep breath and cut others a little slack. It's not who is right that matters, it's who's left (alive that is!) You think driving is fun, try being a full time pedestrian!!!

papa bear

Is that a typo? '40 kilo tons +'....40 tons....OK. By the way, most roads are not suited for large trucks and therefore they are prohibited from driving on them. So, big rigs usually congregate where they are permitied to travel....4-wheelers need to get over it, the laws of physics are not on the side of the 4-wheeler.

40 thousand ton, 80,000 lb. typical weight load

BTW, most times trucks are limited to the right lane