• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am finished extending common courtesy of the road to women

Jack House

40 thousand ton, 80,000 lb. typical weight load

BTW, most times trucks are limited to the right lane
Actually a ton is 2,000lbs, so it would be 80,000,000 pounds. I don't believe a truck can haul that much and god help us if they start.

Yaki

Same as when I hold the door open for a woman and she can't say thank you. My only response to their non response is your welcome. I won't stop because of a few as many actually utter the words than you..

georg jetson

SNIP.

My most recent problem is with the big rigs, though. The on-ramp to the highway form where I work us essentially a big u-turn, you drive straight towards on-coming traffic then do a sharp right turn and have about 100 feet to get up to highway speeds and hope that there's a space. Well, I'll get to the speed allotted to me by the person merging in front of me, then while trying to get into traffic, a big rig that couldn't take the open left lane or tap the brakes just runs up right next to me and slows down because of the guy merging in front of me. At least 3 days this last week I've come to a complete stop so I didn't become a smear under a big rig.

I wish these guys had the courtesy that my grandpa did when he was a driver. His last drive he got cut off by a sportscar and instead of plowing through them or the vehicle to his left, he took the concrete wall to his right. I'm not saying they should all have to make that choice, but slowing down a little or moving over safely instead of trying to kill me would be nice.

The way to get onto a highway is to accelerate to match or exceed merging traffic so that no one has to slow down for you. I understand this is not always possible because there's always the driving impaired in your way trying to merge onto a highway at 45mph with a speed limit of 70mph. May I suggest backing off of the car in front of you many car lengths while in the u-turn. Even if you must slow to a stop, it's better than stopping at the end of a merge lane with drivers behind you looking backwards and accelerating. I'm surprised you haven't had someone run you over yet.

In keeping with the rant part of this topic but leaving out the man/woman part...

If you're on a highway or interstate that has at least 2 lanes remember: The right lane is for driving and the left lane is for PASSING. So... get out of my way!!

Brimstone Baritone

If you're on a highway or interstate that has at least 2 lanes remember: The right lane is for driving and the left lane is for PASSING. So... get out of my way!!

People get so mad when I point out this is actually the law in Alabama. They always say some variant of "If I'm going the speed limit I'll do it in whatever lane I want." Sorry, buddy. You aren't better than me just because you choose to break a different law. The slow guy in the passing lane in is more of a road hazard than the guy speeding with a wide open highway in front of him.

Freedom1Man

People get so mad when I point out this is actually the law in Alabama. They always say some variant of "If I'm going the speed limit I'll do it in whatever lane I want." Sorry, buddy. You aren't better than me just because you choose to break a different law. The slow guy in the passing lane in is more of a road hazard than the guy speeding with a wide open highway in front of him.

I agree, it's a law in many states.

Except the carpool lane.

sawah

The problem is you can't always go as fast as people want you to in the left lane. If it's raining, and you are going 5mph over, pushing the safety factor, you should not be obligated to move over until it's safe. Yet entitled bad drivers want to tailgate you, using intimidation, not good driving. Sometimes you're pinned by the slower guy in front of you and you get tailgated as though you were the cause.

So, IMO, it's these excessively entitled speeders who are the problem, not some random slow-pokes. But you never hear about that aspect.

MKEgal

HKcarrier said:
Sexist thread is sexist... Plenty of idiots on both sides.
Amen.
I see obliviots of all descriptions, in cars, on foot, in service positions, & my personal experience has been that the ones who have caused me the most problems while I'm on my motorcycle have all (but one) been men.

The one woman was oblivious to the concept of right of way at a 4-way stop.
The men have generally been deliberately aggressive, which when they're in a car or truck & I'm on 2 wheels could be deadly.

I take that back - one man was an obliviot & nearly hit me broadside when he ran a red light. Thank goodness one of us was paying attention, & I had good brakes. The car [driven by a woman] in the lane closest to me stopped as required by law.

BTW... see the forum rules:
(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity or choice of occupation

(9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE: Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior

georg jetson

The problem is you can't always go as fast as people want you to in the left lane. If it's raining, and you are going 5mph over, pushing the safety factor, you should not be obligated to move over until it's safe. Yet entitled bad drivers want to tailgate you, using intimidation, not good driving. Sometimes you're pinned by the slower guy in front of you and you get tailgated as though you were the cause.

So, IMO, it's these excessively entitled speeders who are the problem, not some random slow-pokes. But you never hear about that aspect.

I don't think anyone condones tailgating or intimidation here. Obviously, if you're in the left lane then you're passing someone or there's a hazard on the right shoulder. When clear of traffic or hazards on the right then get over. It's a simple concept that promotes a safe driving environment for everyone because it minimizes rolling parking lots.

since9

Campaign Veteran
For a gentleman, chivalry never dies.

Nevertheless, chivalry isn't an invitation to be abused like a doormat. I had to let a person in one of my Meetup groups go because she was being abusive. She was only the fourth person I've had to drop from the rolls of over 500 members in the last three years.

It had absolutely nothing to do with her being female, and I'd never blanket stereotype others in my group based upon the sex of the few who do act up. Most people in my groups behave as you would expect them to -- as adults.