• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question

suntzu

So I am looking to move. Just got married, wife currently away.
We preferably would rather be somewhere in the northwest--particularly CO, WY, MT, and even AK..but she needs to be able to find work in process engineering, invoicing or document controls--as is her occupation. Can anyone in these states tell me or give me some idea of where to look at the current job prospects, unemployment rates, cost of living, and of course gun control..Given a choice I'd rather live in a state that allows Constitutional carry--such as AK, WY or MT, but work is a huge factor. No decisions made yet on where--but we are researching prospective areas and I could use a heads up on the employment situation among other things.

Also---I would ideally like to get back into welding, or even automotive assembly or automotive casting. Though I could do about anything as long as it paid decently-meaning more than minimum wage.

Please pm me with suggestions or information.

jhco50

Your wife should look in Denver and you should think about Pueblo. Actually, both of you could probably find work in Denver.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Your wife should look in Denver and you should think about Pueblo. Actually, both of you could probably find work in Denver.

Sure! Send them to Denver where more than just their 2A rights are institutionally trampled.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

It sounds as if the wife has the ability to bring in the higher paycheck - which is not a bad thing. Welding is something you can find work doing just about anywhere. If you are good at it you can make good money.

I'd work my search backwards - find out where the jobs are and then weed out the places that do not support your life choices. A check of the chatter in the state-specific fora (correct plural of forum - noted because I've been accused of misspelling when I use that word) should either give you the info you need to make a choice or the chance to ask questions to get that info.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
So I am looking to move. Just got married, wife currently away.
We preferably would rather be somewhere in the northwest--particularly CO, WY, MT, and even AK..but she needs to be able to find work in process engineering, invoicing or document controls--as is her occupation. Can anyone in these states tell me or give me some idea of where to look at the current job prospects, unemployment rates, cost of living, and of course gun control..

Colorado's fine - just stay out of Denver County. The rest of the Denver Metropolitan Area is fine.

As for "how-to" stuff, check out these resources:

Resource 1

Resource 2

Hunterdave

I have worked all over Colorado.I felt like I was
in soviet Russia compared to where I'm from.
The influx of Californians has really ruined that
state. Most generational Coloradans will tell
you so and it is getting worse.

No state is perfect, but of the 3 you mentioned
it's the last I would choose.

gobbly

people appreciate descriptive titles for posts. If everyone with a question titled their post "Question" it would be exceedingly difficult to navigate forums.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
people appreciate descriptive titles for posts. If everyone with a question titled their post "Question" it would be exceedingly difficult to navigate forums.

As soon as I saw a thread called "question" my natural reaction was to completely ignore it, I think of it as a way of me punishing the OP by not getting my input because they couldn't take two seconds to fill us in on the topic.

This is a picture of a hippopotamus.
hippopotamus.jpg

MKEgal

+1 on the descriptive title thing

As for the picture Schlitz posted,
combined with Skidmark's lovely language usage it led my full-of-interesting-things brain to this line from an Alan Sherman song:

"One hippopotami
cannot get on a bus
because one hippopotami
is two hippopotamus."

Thanks... now I'll be singing that in my head the rest of the night.
Please tell me I'm not the only person who's ever heard this song?
Here's the rest of the lyrics, & the opportunity to have it as a ring tone.

Last edited:

Sig229

When I lived in Colorado, it was VERY VERY difficult to find work and its well known that a lot of employers give jobs to Colorado natives before they give them to any newcomer to the state. No matter how well qualified you are of the position.

Have you thought about western Pennsylvania by chance?
Here in Pittsburgh, we actually are one of the few cities in the US right now that has a lot of jobs to offer.
And many in your wife's field.
For instance, Westinghouse , Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Bayer , US Naval Warfare Labs and Alcoa are all looking for engineers!

And as far as your welding experience goes, I dont think you would have to look for a job more than a few days. This is the City of Steel after all and welding Jobs are advertised everywhere.
Hell, employers would compete with each other to hire you.

You can OC just about everywhere you want and this states is extremely gun friendly, has low taxes and very low crime.

Another great thing about Pittsburgh is, you can be in downtown city, drive 10 minutes and you're out in the country and mountains.

Doesn't hurt to check it out.
If you want to visit, I can offer some time to show you around.

Last edited:

jhco50

Sure! Send them to Denver where more than just their 2A rights are institutionally trampled.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

You know, I really screwed up, didn't I? I would be separating a new family...but, give them 15-20 years and my suggestion would work, right? Him in Pueblo, her in Denver. Ok never mind, I'm digging a really deep hole here.

Last edited:

Ruby

When I lived in Colorado, it was VERY VERY difficult to find work and its well known that a lot of employers give jobs to Colorado natives before they give them to any newcomer to the state. No matter how well qualified you are of the position.

Have you thought about western Pennsylvania by chance?
Here in Pittsburgh, we actually are one of the few cities in the US right now that has a lot of jobs to offer.
And many in your wife's field.
For instance, Westinghouse , Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Bayer , US Naval Warfare Labs and Alcoa are all looking for engineers!

And as far as your welding experience goes, I dont think you would have to look for a job more than a few days. This is the City of Steel after all and welding Jobs are advertised everywhere.
Hell, employers would compete with each other to hire you.

You can OC just about everywhere you want and this states is extremely gun friendly, has low taxes and very low crime.

Another great thing about Pittsburgh is, you can be in downtown city, drive 10 minutes and you're out in the country and mountains.

Doesn't hurt to check it out.
If you want to visit, I can offer some time to show you around.

I had the same experience in Oregon when I moved there in 1994. In fact, it was Oregon Employment Security that told me that they would hire a native Oregonian over someone new to the state. Which is why I now reside in Washington.

To the OP: I would do a lot of research before I made a decision. Even that can't tell you everything. Visit the area you are thinking of moving to beforehand if you can. Pittsburgh sounds like it might offer everything you are looking for. Good luck to you in your new life wherever you decide to go!

Sig229

I had the same experience in Oregon when I moved there in 1994. In fact, it was Oregon Employment Security that told me that they would hire a native Oregonian over someone new to the state. Which is why I now reside in Washington.

Thats a horrible feeling isnt it?

I moved to CO and my GF came with me. She found a job right away because the university she applied at "was required to hire more minorities" (she's Asian).

After a couple of months of solid job searching and being turned down, our relationship of six years went to hell.
Funny thing though, when I had a large bank account she was happy.

I remember when I would go on job interviews, the person doing the interview would ask "so, you're not really from around here are you?" or "From the looks of your resume, I see you're new to Colorado" and I wouldn't hear back from them.

Oh well. At my age, Ive realized some things happen for a reason.

Last edited: