• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Constitutes Harassment?

stainless1911

Banned
What constitutes harassment legally?

The reason I ask, is that since the reckless thing got pinned on me, not only did I get an on foot OC stop, and the stop last Friday, and pulled over and searched before my DL suspension, my neighbors are now telling me that they have been watching my house, and keeping tabs on my car.

I knew that as soon as I got my license back, they would be looking for my little red car, and every time they saw it, they would pull it over, and do another illegal search, and a drivers responsibility fee ticket. Knowing this, I got rid of that car, trading it for something different. My neighbors told me that OCSD was sneaking around at night, focused on my new car, basically getting to know what it looks like, so that they can go tell all their little cop friends what I'm driving, and that they be on the lookout for it.

Now, Im thinking about getting rid of it, never having the chance to drive that one, and keeping my next car at a freinds house so they can't find it. I'll just walk to that location, and pick the car up from there.

OneForAll

The LEO's are infringing on your private property rights getting to know your new vehicle? All this because you were walking down the street OC'ing?

TheQ

You are a person of interest to them for one reason or another. Once again I am telling you: you should lay low!

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
You are a person of interest to them for one reason or another. Once again I am telling you: you should lay low!

I will decode this for you. They (PD) want to stomp your dick into the dirt given the chance. Maybe they just do not like you. We are finding some departments pick & choose the laws they will follow. If you truly feel you are being stalked by them, you will have to prove your claims via video & witnesses in the area. You will need to keep detailed logs of everything, time of contact, duration, car #, description of officer(s) etc.. You will need your witnesses to sign statements stating what they observed. You will then have to FOIA dispatch logs. Why? Because every vehicle must be signed out by the driver at the beginning of their shift, if they drive by your house 6 times on their shift, stop, take pictures of your car, walk around your yard and peek in the windows and so on without there being a legitimate reason for them to be there, now you have data to use against them. Without these items or more you are going to be shrugged off as just another nut.

Oakland Co, Sheriff's have always been one of the better agencies out there when it comes to OC, to the best of my knowledge. I think if you are able to compile the items above, someone is going to be looking for a new job pretty quick. Now on the other hand, you have not been building model cars, planes, ships in a bottle etc.. in a confined, poorly ventilated area have you? :p

Bailenforcer

I have one problem with all this.......

They have your LEIN information every time they pull you over and know what cars, or any registered vehicles you own. When they do a 28 and 29 on LEIN they can tell everything about your Michigan S.O.S. files and so why would they sneak around?

to be honest anyone with a few bucks can go to the SOS office and search your name and address for all your registered vehicles information. I haven't seen the new prices but for decades if was $6.55 to do this and even after they so called tightened the procedures it is still easy to do.

I think something else is at play here and yes I would have a security camera system with recording capability and be making notes on who comes and goes.

What constitutes harassment legally?

The reason I ask, is that since the reckless thing got pinned on me, not only did I get an on foot OC stop, and the stop last Friday, and pulled over and searched before my DL suspension, my neighbors are now telling me that they have been watching my house, and keeping tabs on my car.

I knew that as soon as I got my license back, they would be looking for my little red car, and every time they saw it, they would pull it over, and do another illegal search, and a drivers responsibility fee ticket. Knowing this, I got rid of that car, trading it for something different. My neighbors told me that OCSD was sneaking around at night, focused on my new car, basically getting to know what it looks like, so that they can go tell all their little cop friends what I'm driving, and that they be on the lookout for it.

Now, Im thinking about getting rid of it, never having the chance to drive that one, and keeping my next car at a freinds house so they can't find it. I'll just walk to that location, and pick the car up from there.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

lol I can think of about a half-dozen reasons.

Seriously, the over-riding reason is that your conviction for the Reckless has given them the impression that you will do things that give them even more to eventually charge you with. This is just one more example that the police ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS. I would follow Q's suggestion to lay low; not out of any sense that they are correct, rather that they will get bored after a while and move on. I know, this sounds like advice that one used to give a person who was being bullied on the playground. With limited funds and and a penchant for speaking with leos, I think that there is probably not much you can do. Basically, they are trying to rattle you.

edited to add: I see in another thread you are on probation. Under the terms of probation, your rights in many areas are limited. Basically, if an officer has "reasonable cause" to believe that you have violated ANY term of your probation, they can arrest you for "Violation of Term of Probation" (MCL 764.15[g])

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Well, they have got me rattled.

Good job boys, is that what you dreamed of when you were young, wanting to be a cop someday?

I intend to lay low for a while, not my M.O. but I guess it will have to do. It's good advice.

Truthfully, if I had a CPL, I'd just CC for the rest of the year to let things cool. I hate to even say that, I don't like CC in general, as a rule I stand firmly against it with very few exceptions.

Bailenforcer

I am in 100% agreement on what The-Q and Dr Todd said, and take it from my experience being on the other side of things here. Being invisible is your best asset right now till they get tired of looking for you that needle in a hay stack. The old saying out of sight is out of mind is very applicable here. Lay low and stay home or away from home as much as possible. Not answering the door is not a crime either. If you have mere days left they are looking for you to screw up as so many do in the last days or a suspension, probation or parole. Ask any Probation officer the best time to hit someone on a substance abuse test is the last day of probation and the same mindset applies with a suspension. People get antsy and restless and screw up.

Be invisible for a few months, change your habits if possible.

lol I can think of about a half-dozen reasons.

Seriously, the over-riding reason is that your conviction for the Reckless has given them the impression that you will do things that give them even more to eventually charge you with. This is just one more example that the police ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS. I would follow Q's suggestion to lay low; not out of any sense that they are correct, rather that they will get bored after a while and move on. I know, this sounds like advice that one used to give a person who was being bullied on the playground. With limited funds and and a penchant for speaking with leos, I think that there is probably not much you can do. Basically, they are trying to rattle you.

edited to add: I see in another thread you are on probation. Under the terms of probation, your rights in many areas are limited. Basically, if an officer has "reasonable cause" to believe that you have violated ANY term of your probation, they can arrest you for "Violation of Term of Probation" (MCL 764.15[g])