Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Detained at Sonny's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    So they got a free search of your trunk as well. I love that tactic.

Recorders are necessary because many police when it comes to guns, a ton of police officers try to harass and threaten you like street thugs. They would have arrested you if they knew you were doing something illegal.

It's the bad apples that make the other **** of cops look bad.
    And, any "good cop" who knows about the bad apples and doesn't do anything about can no longer be considered a good cop.

I found out after the fact that there was a good apple that showed up that I never saw.

Upon his arrival and assessing the situation, he called the Sgt because the officers were not handling the encounter properly.

I would have preferred he speak up at the time but am glad he made the call. I guess not everyone is a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by rmansu2 View Post
    I found out after the fact that there was a good apple that showed up that I never saw.

Upon his arrival and assessing the situation, he called the Sgt because the officers were not handling the encounter properly.

I would have preferred he speak up at the time but am glad he made the call. I guess not everyone is a hero.

Many times it is the unsung, unseen or unheard hero that saves your butt. Just don't rely on it.

You were harrassed by cops that only knew half the law.

Since you were OC'ing and Not CC'ing the cop couldnt do anything about your permit, you only have to present it if you are CCing. ITs ritoo..ght there printed on the back of your license..... I have one too. One way or the other you were unfairly harrassed.

Look. the cops are eithere un-educated or are trying to bull the public.

a lot of cops now just dont like it when a citizen OC's because it digs into their image of badge and a gun. Watch out in New Orleans area particularly, there are a lot of very dirty cops that will just take your piece and say thank you have a nice day...... what gun?

next time ask the cop specifically on what charges or reasonable suspicion am I being detained? No? Have a nice day then officer !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rmansu2
    I have yet to see the report, however I have heard what was in it.
    Some of his points were stretched imagination while others were completely fabricated.
    Say it isn't so! I'm shocked. [/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by rmansu2
    Good for him!
    We need more like that.

Detained at Sonny's BBQ

UPDATE

The initiating officer is no longer a member of BRPD and will not be able to get a job in the surrounding areas in any capacity as an officer or EMS.

Yes, I said EMS. I only know this because he tried to apply and was denied because of the way he treated the public while on the force.

Clark County, NV-----------------------Mohave County, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by rmansu2 View Post
    ...I asked who's piece I had disturbed and he asked if I was lawyer...
    He needed to know because he conducts himself quite differently in front of lawyers, apparently.
    Blue & Gold Firearms Training; Clark County, NV
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Detained at Sonny's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    He needed to know because he conducts himself quite differently in front of lawyers, apparently.
    He didn't like it when I accused him of thinking he was a lawyer.

What I find ironic about all of this is that cops everywhere (even here in AZ) always say the same stuff: we have to respond when people call 911 about someone with a weapon.

Hmmmm....

So we can lawfully carry a weapon openly, yet we have to be shaken down when someone calls 911. Does this apply to everything? If someone calls 911 because there is a (insert color here) person in their neighborhood, do the cops have to respond and shake them down?

Maybe I am going the wrong way with this, but I think these things are the same.

Time and time again I read about abuse of police power on this board however there is never any follow up action. Where are the lawsuits? When will someone post some follow up about taking action against these criminals with badges.

The moderators should start a sub thread titled Case filed. Victory's or Defeats?

Civil litigation is a must to get the point across about the 2A.

Hold the violators accountable, hit them in the pocket and make there miserable life more miserable.

My .02

Best regards.

CCJ

Quote Originally Posted by Operator_223 View Post
    Since you were OC'ing and Not CC'ing the cop couldnt do anything about your permit, you only have to present it if you are CCing.
    Where are you getting this? From my reading of the statute, you could be fined for failing to produce the permit if asked for it while swimming - no guns involved. Whether it'd be applied is a separate matter, but I didn't see language limiting the requirement to produce to where the permit was being used.

Detained at Sonny's BBQ

He never asked for my permit. He asked for identification which he had no right to demand.

Re: Detained at Sonny's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Seigi View Post
    Where are you getting this? From my reading of the statute, you could be fined for failing to produce the permit if asked for it while swimming - no guns involved. Whether it'd be applied is a separate matter, but I didn't see language limiting the requirement to produce to where the permit was being used.
    You are correct. The first sentence under the Duties of Permittees section, on the http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#duties link, states; "The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer."

If a LEO asks for it, you have to show it. It does not matter if you have a weapon or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by mmclin; 06-21-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Detained at Sonny's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by mmclin View Post
    You are correct. The first sentence under the Duties of Permittees section, on the http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#duties link, states; "The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer."
    I agree with everything you said. The ct still stand that he didn't ask for my permit. He asked for my identification. I could have have offered him a library card if I had one.

OMG! You don't have a Library Card? What kind of American are you?
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Seigi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmclin View Post

If a LEO asks for it, you have to show it. It does not matter if you have a weapon or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    i agree the wording is poor. in most states the CHP is permission to carry a handgun concealed. ergo, if you are not carrying a handgun concealed you do not need a permission slip. a few questions, how would a LEO know you needed a CHP if you are not carrying? you cited the HP page, [if it is not law it doesn't matter what the LE thinks], do you have the actual law that states this? do you have any case history were this was ruled on?

believe me i am not trying to be argumentative, i am trying to get weather or not this is true. if it is you seriously need to have it change
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    i agree the wording is poor. in most states the CHP is permission to carry a handgun concealed. ergo, if you are not carrying a handgun concealed you do not need a permission slip. a few questions, how would a LEO know you needed a CHP if you are not carrying? you cited the HP page, [if it is not law it doesn't matter what the LE thinks], do you have the actual law that states this? do you have any case history were this was ruled on?

believe me i am not trying to be argumentative, i am trying to get weather or not this is true. if it is you seriously need to have it change
    I would seriously like some clarification on this issue as well. MY READING of the law RS40:1379.3 (http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=97451) is that nothing in this section is valid unless the permittee is carrying in accordance with said section.

RS40:1379.3
    B.(1) A concealed handgun permit shall be issued only to a Louisiana resident who qualifies for a permit under the provisions of this Section. A concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to the provisions of this Section shall grant authority to a Louisiana resident to carry a concealed handgun on his person.

(2) A Louisiana resident shall be required to possess a valid concealed handgun permit issued by the state of Louisiana pursuant to the provisions of this Section in order to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Louisiana.

While open carrying, under seat or glove box carry, or swimming in Lake Pontchartrain for that matter, I am not carrying on my person as stated in subsection 40:1379.3.B(1) . If I'm stopped for speeding, lets say, and the LEO runs my tags and sees that the owner/operator is a CHP holder in the state, and my weapon is under my seat or in glovebox, or at my house (anywhere not concealed my person in accordance with RS40:1379.3), LEO asks to see my permit, then my CHP is as legally pertinent to the situation as my library card. and I would tell a LEO such if faced with such a scenario. I'm I wrong ???
    Last edited by Slidell Jim; 06-23-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Detained at Sonny's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Slidell Jim View Post
    I would seriously like some clarification on this issue as well. MY READING of the law RS40:1379.3 (http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=97451) is that nothing in this section is valid unless the permittee is carrying in accordance with said section.
    The shift commander I had lunch with agreed with your (and my) assessment. As I was not carrying concealed, not approached with official business and he didn't ask for my permit, I was under no obligation to provide my permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    So they got a free search of your trunk as well. I love that tactic.

Recorders are necessary because many police when it comes to guns, a ton of police officers try to harass and threaten you like street thugs. They would have arrested you if they knew you were doing something illegal.

It's the bad apples that make the other **** of cops look bad.
    Last time I checked "trucks" do not have trunks.

Hind sight is always 20/20 or better. IMO opinion at least on recording device is mandatory these days for a multiple of reasons. I even run a dash cam which can be swivled to cover different angles in my truck.

I'm sure the OP has seen areas he might have done a few things differently. Also I don't see that he has taken the option of a civil suit off the table - only that for personal reasons he wishes to try to resolve it another way first.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12