• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained at Sonny's BBQ

papa bear

Where are you getting this? From my reading of the statute, you could be fined for failing to produce the permit if asked for it while swimming - no guns involved. Whether it'd be applied is a separate matter, but I didn't see language limiting the requirement to produce to where the permit was being used.

You are correct. The first sentence under the Duties of Permittees section, on the [url]http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#duties [/URL] link, states; "The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer."

If a LEO asks for it, you have to show it. It does not matter if you have a weapon or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

i agree the wording is poor. in most states the CHP is permission to carry a handgun concealed. ergo, if you are not carrying a handgun concealed you do not need a permission slip. a few questions, how would a LEO know you needed a CHP if you are not carrying? you cited the HP page, [if it is not law it doesn't matter what the LE thinks], do you have the actual law that states this? do you have any case history were this was ruled on?

believe me i am not trying to be argumentative, i am trying to get weather or not this is true. if it is you seriously need to have it change

Slidell Jim

i agree the wording is poor. in most states the CHP is permission to carry a handgun concealed. ergo, if you are not carrying a handgun concealed you do not need a permission slip. a few questions, how would a LEO know you needed a CHP if you are not carrying? you cited the HP page, [if it is not law it doesn't matter what the LE thinks], do you have the actual law that states this? do you have any case history were this was ruled on?

believe me i am not trying to be argumentative, i am trying to get weather or not this is true. if it is you seriously need to have it change

I would seriously like some clarification on this issue as well. MY READING of the law RS40:1379.3 (http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=97451) is that nothing in this section is valid unless the permittee is carrying in accordance with said section.

RS40:1379.3
B.(1) A concealed handgun permit shall be issued only to a Louisiana resident who qualifies for a permit under the provisions of this Section. A concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to the provisions of this Section shall grant authority to a Louisiana resident to carry a concealed handgun on his person.

(2) A Louisiana resident shall be required to possess a valid concealed handgun permit issued by the state of Louisiana pursuant to the provisions of this Section in order to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Louisiana.

While open carrying, under seat or glove box carry, or swimming in Lake Pontchartrain for that matter, I am not carrying on my person as stated in subsection 40:1379.3.B(1) . If I'm stopped for speeding, lets say, and the LEO runs my tags and sees that the owner/operator is a CHP holder in the state, and my weapon is under my seat or in glovebox, or at my house (anywhere not concealed my person in accordance with RS40:1379.3), LEO asks to see my permit, then my CHP is as legally pertinent to the situation as my library card. and I would tell a LEO such if faced with such a scenario. I'm I wrong ???

Last edited:

rmansu2

I would seriously like some clarification on this issue as well. MY READING of the law RS40:1379.3 (http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=97451) is that nothing in this section is valid unless the permittee is carrying in accordance with said section.

The shift commander I had lunch with agreed with your (and my) assessment. As I was not carrying concealed, not approached with official business and he didn't ask for my permit, I was under no obligation to provide my permit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So they got a free search of your trunk as well. I love that tactic.

Recorders are necessary because many police when it comes to guns, a ton of police officers try to harass and threaten you like street thugs. They would have arrested you if they knew you were doing something illegal.

It's the bad apples that make the other **** of cops look bad.

Last time I checked "trucks" do not have trunks.

Hind sight is always 20/20 or better. IMO opinion at least on recording device is mandatory these days for a multiple of reasons. I even run a dash cam which can be swivled to cover different angles in my truck.

I'm sure the OP has seen areas he might have done a few things differently. Also I don't see that he has taken the option of a civil suit off the table - only that for personal reasons he wishes to try to resolve it another way first.