• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Sultan Pits?

Freedom First

Yes, Sultan is the pits... But you can always move! :p

I used to live in Gold Bar and drove through Sultan daily. Actually seemed like a nice place to live.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Yes, Sultan is the pits... But you can always move! :p

I used to live in Gold Bar and drove through Sultan daily. Actually seemed like a nice place to live.

You waste your thoughts,
your words,
your typing,
and my/our reading time with your inane post!

sirpuma knows of a pit near his abode.
His abode is not anywhere near sultan...

I think he is going to be in the sultan area for some reason or another, and
wishes to go shooting near there while he is near there.

There is a pit,,, near sultan, I have read about it...

Maybe someone that actually has something germain to offer will chime in.... thank you very much!

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
There are areas to go shoot out around Sultan. Its where I go shoot but I can't give you the location, its top secret to only a couple people. There are other more public spots down Sultan Basin Rd about 15 miles (past all the no shooting signs)...

Freedom First

You waste your thoughts,
your words,
your typing,
and my/our reading time with your inane post!

sirpuma knows of a pit near his abode.
His abode is not anywhere near sultan...

I think he is going to be in the sultan area for some reason or another, and
wishes to go shooting near there while he is near there.

There is a pit,,, near sultan, I have read about it...

Maybe someone that actually has something germain to offer will chime in.... thank you very much!

Yes, it was inane and I am pleased that you noticed.

Actually I loved the Highway 2 run and I do miss most of living there. We had good friends who lived in Sultan and it was a nice place to live. I loved the weather, the trees (sorely lacking here in Kennewick), the snow covered mountains and seeing Wallace Falls from my bedroom. I do not miss the traffic, especially the Sunday afternoons when all the skiers or campers would make it impossible to get anywhere or the proximity to the Metroplex.

When I was residing out there, I was not a gun owner, didn't go shooting and thus I have nothing germain to add. My apologies for wasting your time. ;)

sirpuma

There are areas to go shoot out around Sultan. Its where I go shoot but I can't give you the location, its top secret to only a couple people. There are other more public spots down Sultan Basin Rd about 15 miles (past all the no shooting signs)...

I was actually out there today for a BBQ and we looked around on Google Earth and used the DNR maps to look up state land. My friend who lives there needs a place to plink and practice that isn't too far from her and she's right off Sultan Basin Rd. It looks like there's a good spot a few miles up the road from her just inside the DNR land but outside the "Forest Legacy Area".

amlevin

The "Sultan Pit" was closed in the last year or so due to complaints over the trash, shooting at all hours, and generally unsafe practices. The more the location got "passed around" on the internet, the more fools showed up and trashed the place. I used to shoot out there every week. It got to the point where I wouldn't even pull in if there was another vehicle there. Shooting from all directions, from people behind you, and generally stupid behavior.

I don't blame those that won't publicly share locations they've found. The word will get out soon enough and then the same old "pigs" will show up to trash the area.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Since I don't know where the "Sutan Pit" was I guess we'll just go scouting around out there.

Here is the snohomish county no shooting zones map: http://sheriff.snoco.org/Documents/NoShooting_Full_County.pdf

You will notice a large part of sultan basin rd is no shooting but as you get further out it becomes no shooting on only 1 side (north). You should be able to find some pits out there. I hit up my spot this morning.

Last edited:

sirpuma

amzbrady

We used to live in Gold Bar around 89 and we used to shoot at the pits and reiter road. Thing I hated most was waiting on the hwy 2 to clear after a head on. Thing I miss was back then My wife and I used to stop at the little station by start up and get an order of little joes, and ranch, and go to the swap meet on weekends.

FMJ 911

Here is the snohomish county no shooting zones map: http://sheriff.snoco.org/Documents/NoShooting_Full_County.pdf

You will notice a large part of sultan basin rd is no shooting but as you get further out it becomes no shooting on only 1 side (north). You should be able to find some pits out there. I hit up my spot this morning.

I was just out there on Sultan Basin Road, and I went all the way to Spada Lake, and all along the road is "NO SHOOTING" signs. I was half-tempted to shoot up one, but I wasn't about to get caught.

amlevin

I was just out there on Sultan Basin Road, and I went all the way to Spada Lake, and all along the road is "NO SHOOTING" signs. I was half-tempted to shoot up one, but I wasn't about to get caught.

I'm glad you overcame that temptation to be irresponsible. Shooting up the "no shooting signs" just gives those that want to close ALL public lands to shooting more ammunition for their cause.

Just remember, "Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching". You may want to work a little on that "half" that was tempted.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

The no shooting zone along Sultan Basin Road only applies to 100 yards (300 feet) off the road, for most of it (see map for location details). They do that so they can post no shooting signs along the road, when in fact you can easily walk to a location you can legally shoot. My location is conveniently 450 ft off the road. Happy shooting.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A group of us used to schedule shooting days at the Sultan Basin pit that were combination shooting days and cleanup days. I'd bring contractors orange tape and make an actual shooting line so that the insanity wouldn't get too bad when crowded. Unfortunately, a lot of other groups were much more irresponsible, shooting glass, tannerite at night, etc. We had the pit largely clean, and we'd come back a couple months later to find shot up glass, destroyed appliances, and other things we couldn't even clean up. Then it got shut down.

As amlevin said, the irresponsible behavior makes it so that those of us who know places don't want to share them, less bubba and buddies show up and start trashing the place, then laugh at or ignore requests to clean up.