Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB question that'll show I don't know squat about carrying

IWB question that'll show I don't know squat about carrying

As a test, I stuffed my (not chambered, no mag) P345 between my hip and the waistline of my jeans and things got a bit too snug. Granted, it wouldn't kill me lose a couple pounds...still... If you carry your pistol in a IWB holster, do you wear pants that are wee bit bigger than you would otherwise wear?

I'm serious, this is not a joke question.

Yup, most people need a little extra room. You said you tried between your hip and waistband, which I infer to be the 3 o'clock position. Depending on how prominent your hipbone is, you might find it more comfortable--and your waistband a little more slack--at the 4 o'clock position (just behind your hipbone). Forward cant definitely helps the draw from 4 o'clock.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Ya the general rule of thumb is 1 size pant up or if you have larger pants already with a belt go 1 hole closer to the end. I wear my super tuck at about 3:30-4. As for the "cant", having the grip as far forward as you can manage helps the fit a lot. In the mirror my full size beretta looks like the grip is at a 45 degree angle.

I have recently lost some weight and it has caused pants and shorts to be a bit loose. I was not real pleased with that because it means buying new clothes to replace the now over size ones.
    Then I found the solution that saves me lots of money (unless you factor in the cost of my new G23). The G23 & an IWB holster saved me spending on clothes leaving more for ammo. Life is good!

Thanks everybody! This is the holster I am considering. Any thoughts on this holster or Kirkpatrick in general?

i was also one of the lucky ones who were fat and got skinny the only problem i have with cc is that alot of my shirts would show the gun so i had to make some changes and start buying large instead of medium as for cc goes i have a cheap blackhawk iwb holster that i love. now i ware mine in the front of me kinda by my manhood parts lol so after a few days i have to wash mine because its nylon. now if i open carry i of course dont have that problem witch is what alot of people will say that you should do seeing that this is a oc place. i ordered my CCL but i plan on open carry as much as possible unless family events, friends houses stuff like that then i will CC.

now for comfort i prefer open carry, but not everyone likes to do so.

this is my cc holster witch is vary comfortable when i carry my .380 bersa ( i love that little gun)

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=black...9,r:1,s:0,i:75

thats not my gun or picture stole it from the web to show.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    i open carry i of course dont have that problem witch is what alot of people will say that you should do seeing that this is a oc place
    I know this is an OC board, but I live in Arkansas. OC is not permitted here except in the confines of your own home. Believe me, I would rather open carry. Despite the efforts of citizens in recent years, OC can't get enough support in Little Rock to become law.

Quote Originally Posted by the_rog View Post
    I know this is an OC board, but I live in Arkansas. OC is not permitted here except in the confines of your own home. Believe me, I would rather open carry. Despite the efforts of citizens in recent years, OC can't get enough support in Little Rock to become law.
    that would suck but i know i have to cc also every now and again your best bet if you are on a budget is go to a goodwill or other type thrift store to buy a couple pairs of pants. i always wear the firearm in the front because i find its faster (for me) to draw then in the back. witch causes another problem the gun jabbing me in my gut everytime i sit down. like now i am cc and i feel this thing pressing into me. but lucky for my my holster has a slight overlap of the firearm so its not as bad. if you chose to get the smaller type holster like the one i posted i think thats best for cc. i have tried a couple and didnt really like them because some pants didnt fit over the holster/gun. so with this type im able to wear pretty much everything i own with little to no imprinting.

it also depends on where you are putting the gun on your person. there are alot of types of cc holsters, iwb holsters seem to be most popular, and there are ones for front,back,sides and picking the one that best fits you work.

if you are a slim person (like myself) IMO its better wearing it in front, iv tried a IWB holster that went in the small of my back and i hated it returned it later that day. i have also tried a pancake type holster for your side witch not alot of my jeans like to fit over and makes it incredibly uncomfortable

here is a picture of how i cc this is my bersa .380 (my favorite gun, because of size feel of shooting, safety's and what not) i keep the gun in front a spare mag in my pocket as seen and a knife in my pocket also. iv never had anyone come up to me when i wear the gun like this and ask me if i have a firearm on me. but if you have a mag pouch on then people will be asking why you have a mag on your side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0263.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	8510  

here is a picture of how i cc this is my bersa .380 (my favorite gun, because of size feel of shooting, safety's and what not) i keep the gun in front a spare mag in my pocket as seen and a knife in my pocket also. iv never had anyone come up to me when i wear the gun like this and ask me if i have a firearm on me. but if you have a mag pouch on then people will be asking why you have a mag on your side.
    That looks like it would be uncomfortable if you was just sitting or driving.

Quote Originally Posted by merc460 View Post
    That looks like it would be uncomfortable if you was just sitting or driving.
    I will not say its the best, but its not to bad. you really do get used to it. Also as seen in the picture im pretty much bone with a tad bit of meet on me, so it doesnt jab into me all to much, my brother tried using my holster/gun to see how it felt and hes about 220lbs and he said its not the best but he could make do with a holster like mine. i just found that since im all bone the holster for my side hurt my hip, and the one that goes in the small of your back falls out whenever i sit down.

I wear my gun while being tailored for my suits, yes.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

yes! The common figure I hear is two sizes larger. I'm skinny as a rail, normally I will buy 30-32" waists. Once I started to CC I started to go with 34" and it works pretty well for me.

As a test, I stuffed my (not chambered, no mag) P345 between my hip and the waistline of my jeans and things got a bit too snug. Granted, it wouldn't kill me lose a couple pounds...still... If you carry your pistol in a IWB holster, do you wear pants that are wee bit bigger than you would otherwise wear?

I'm serious, this is not a joke question.
    I know a lot of cops three decades ago including myself that carried our 45 between the the waistband and hip. I do not see anything that you cannot carry your firearm loaded in that fashion as long as it is secure. I found the extra bulk of the inside the pants holster uncomfortable. I really don't like concealed carry now or then so most times now I use a good leather holster. Times have changed but back then we were required to carry concealed off duty. And when I worked for the University it was also required to be concealed when on duty.

that would suck but i know i have to cc also every now and again your best bet if you are on a budget is go to a goodwill or other type thrift store to buy a couple pairs of pants.
    This is exactly what I did. I have a couple pair of Dockers and a couple pair of jeans that I bought at Goodwill, one size too big, SPECIFICALLY for CC.

For the price of ONE pair of new Levi 501's I got 2 like-new pair of Dockers and two pair of practically new Levi 505s. Since I OC most of the time, I didn't see any reason to pay full retail for pants I would only wear every now and then...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    This is exactly what I did. I have a couple pair of Dockers and a couple pair of jeans that I bought at Goodwill, one size too big, SPECIFICALLY for CC.

For the price of ONE pair of new Levi 501's I got 2 like-new pair of Dockers and two pair of practically new Levi 505s. Since I OC most of the time, I didn't see any reason to pay full retail for pants I would only wear every now and then...
    exactly my same pattern of thinking. i went i got maybe 4 pairs of jeans witch were "amarican eagle" my style of cloths. witch would have cost me new maybe 150ish for 4 pairs. instead i got 4 pairs one size up for $20. i dont think alot of people like to shop at thrift type stores, but i say why not save a few bucks and buy some more ammo!

Like they said, 1 or 2 inches inches larger on the waistband. I have a couple of sets of hiking pants from Cabelas with some elastic in the waistband that stretch a little, they're 2 inches larger than my normal waist size. Work like a charm. I also have a gun belt that's 2 inches larger than my normal gun belt just for IWB.

Thanks everybody! This is the holster I am considering. Any thoughts on this holster or Kirkpatrick in general?
    I don't know if anyone told you, but your link doesn't work.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

I carry at the 10-11 clock position and I almost never have any issues with it (when there is an issue it is because the barrel has managed to dig into my thigh and I just have to slightly adjust it). For my pants I didn't have buy any bigger pants, but I always buy pants 2-4" larger than my actual size because I HATE wearing things that feel tight/restrictive in the waist/crotch/thigh area. Always seems to lead to uncomfortable or even painful situations, and thats before trying to CC.

I believe this is the link that the OP means:

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/iw...den-defense-86

Kirkpatrick makes some good products. I've never owned or carried it, but I know folks who have, and they seem to like it a lot. I've handled some of their cowboy-style rigs, and they appear to be constructed of high-quality materials, and their fit and finish is superb. Their specialty seems to be "old West" style rigs, and that seems to be where their true expertise lies. Bu tthey DO make some more "modern" IWB holsters for EDC, and some "duty holsters" that would serve as VERY nice OC rigs.

The only thing I don;t like about Kirkpatrick holsters is that most of them do NOT have fully-covered triggers, and are of the "old West cut-out" style. Thsi may be beneficial if you are doing SASS competitions, but seems like a problem waiting to happen for most modern-day OCers...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I have found that I actually prefer to OC using my IWB holster. It is quite visible as I have mine relatively high. I find it more comfortable and like that I can more easily switch from OC to CC as I find appropriate for a given situation.
    Last edited by wmodavis; 06-18-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    I have that I actually prefer to OC using my IWB holster. It is quite visible as I have mine relatively high. I find it more comfortable and like that I can more easily switch from OC to CC as I find appropriate for a given situation.
    As long as you have a license to carry concealed, I don't see a problem with it. Depending on where you're at, at the time you OC with an IWB holster, you might get charged with carrying concealed, so, if you have a license, then you're covered. If you don't, I caution you against carrying that way.
    Big Gay Al

Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    I have that I actually prefer to OC using my IWB holster. It is quite visible as I have mine relatively high. I find it more comfortable and like that I can more easily switch from OC to CC as I find appropriate for a given situation.
    +1

My CC holster is a Crossbreed super tuck and let me tell you it is SUPER comfortable and I carry an XDsc .40 which by far is not the thinnest carry weapon out there but I do love it!!!!!! Ive tryed many different IWB holsters from cheap "Unclemikes" to well not so cheap "Crossbreed" and in my opinion you get what you pay for! but carrying a gun is always comforting but not always comfortable but the super-tuck sure evens the playing feild in fact I'm wearing it right now!

I got enough stuff rubbing against my body that I don't need any IWB holster doing it too. I've carried for many years, concealed and openly, and I can tell you, I've ALWAYS found OWB to be way more comfortable than IWB.

Keep in mind, I'm speaking for myself. Everyone else's experience may vary. And as I've said in another thread, holsters are really a personal choice. What works for you, may not work for me.
    Big Gay Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast