• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB question that'll show I don't know squat about carrying

wmodavis

I have found that I actually prefer to OC using my IWB holster. It is quite visible as I have mine relatively high. I find it more comfortable and like that I can more easily switch from OC to CC as I find appropriate for a given situation.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I have that I actually prefer to OC using my IWB holster. It is quite visible as I have mine relatively high. I find it more comfortable and like that I can more easily switch from OC to CC as I find appropriate for a given situation.
As long as you have a license to carry concealed, I don't see a problem with it. Depending on where you're at, at the time you OC with an IWB holster, you might get charged with carrying concealed, so, if you have a license, then you're covered. If you don't, I caution you against carrying that way.

raven81686

My CC holster is a Crossbreed super tuck and let me tell you it is SUPER comfortable and I carry an XDsc .40 which by far is not the thinnest carry weapon out there but I do love it!!!!!! Ive tryed many different IWB holsters from cheap "Unclemikes" to well not so cheap "Crossbreed" and in my opinion you get what you pay for! but carrying a gun is always comforting but not always comfortable but the super-tuck sure evens the playing feild in fact I'm wearing it right now!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I got enough stuff rubbing against my body that I don't need any IWB holster doing it too. I've carried for many years, concealed and openly, and I can tell you, I've ALWAYS found OWB to be way more comfortable than IWB.

Keep in mind, I'm speaking for myself. Everyone else's experience may vary. And as I've said in another thread, holsters are really a personal choice. What works for you, may not work for me.

86 slo-vo

I feel much more comfortable with my galco summer comfort IWB then I was with any of my OWB holsters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
You just compared one of the best IWB holsters on the market to unknown OWB holsters. That didn't really tell us anything...

The Wolfhound

IWB OC for me!

My primary carry is a compact 45. I can wear my Crossbreed Supertuck all day and find it comfortable at about a 3:30-4:00 position. OC CC does not matter for this preference although a layer of cloth between me and the holster is preferable (like a tucked shirt when OC). I do find I need about 1-2 inches extra in waist and belt to accomodate this rig. On the rare occasion when I carry at 6:00, my waistband has plenty of slack, so I do not need to upsize.

Gil223

My CC holster is a Crossbreed super tuck and let me tell you it is SUPER comfortable and I carry an XDsc .40 which by far is not the thinnest carry weapon out there but I do love it!!!!!! Ive tryed many different IWB holsters from cheap "Unclemikes" to well not so cheap "Crossbreed" and in my opinion you get what you pay for! but carrying a gun is always comforting but not always comfortable but the super-tuck sure evens the playing feild in fact I'm wearing it right now!

I also have a Crossbreed SuperTuck also, and it is the most comfortable concealment/OC holster I have ever worn. I can wear it all day long with no discomfort or other ill effects (no chafing, no dye bleeding from perspiration, etc.). It just stays where you put it! Pax... :D

The Wolfhound:
I do find I need about 1-2 inches extra in waist and belt to accomodate this rig.

Two inches of extra waistband and belt seems to be the universal (more-or-less) recommended standard for IWB holsters. :) Pax...

Gil223

As a test, I stuffed my (not chambered, no mag) P345 between my hip and the waistline of my jeans and things got a bit too snug. Granted, it wouldn't kill me lose a couple pounds...still... If you carry your pistol in a IWB holster, do you wear pants that are wee bit bigger than you would otherwise wear?

I'm serious, this is not a joke question.

To answer your question... Yes, you do wear pants about 1 waist size larger than normal (unless, of course, the pants you're already wearing are a a bit too loose in the waist, then you may not have the need to upsize). Pax...

86 slo-vo

You just compared one of the best IWB holsters on the market to unknown OWB holsters. That didn't really tell us anything...

My OWB holsters are blackhawk serpa, bianchi evader.

So much more comfortable without having the gun hanging way out and beating on everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

twpetry

I generally wear 33 or 34, with my White Hat Holster's MaxTuck in natural horsehide (which i LOVE, by the way) i need atleast 34 or 35/36. I first started to carry more toward the rear say 4-5 o'clock. for me, it offered better concealment, however i noticed if i have to bend or sit or do anything, the handle of my compact stuck WAY out. So now i generally carry in a strict 3 o'clock position with a decent cant. I have found that while standing it prints slighty more, but there is a dramatic reduction when bending, sitting etc. I find this an acceptable trade off, YMMV.

As a side note I love the fact that holsters such as the MaxTuck provide two points to anchor the holster vice only one on some other IWB holsters, and that it can use J-hooks for even better concealment. And the horsehide is so smooth and stays very cool against the skin.

P95

As a test, I stuffed my (not chambered, no mag) P345 between my hip and the waistline of my jeans and things got a bit too snug. Granted, it wouldn't kill me lose a couple pounds...still... If you carry your pistol in a IWB holster, do you wear pants that are wee bit bigger than you would otherwise wear?

I'm serious, this is not a joke question.
I like the Crossbreed Supertuck holsters. They are about $85.00 to the door....so I decided to make my own. Here is a IWB and a OWB I made.

IMAG033544.jpgIMAG0333.jpg

ThreeCenterMass

comfort

I'm seriou
s, this is not a joke question.
what ever works for you. have you tried a crossbreed? I own two and they a very comfortable. work the leather a little and I think you may like them.

GrandZJ

I must be lucky. I didn't go up a size since I had enough room to snugly fit my M&P 9c in my waistband at 4:30 with no discomfort. I tried on an old pair of jeans one size up and they were way too loose. I wear medium shirts also.

langenc

I know this is an OC board, but I live in Arkansas. OC is not permitted here except in the confines of your own home. Believe me, I would rather open carry. Despite the efforts of citizens in recent years, OC can't get enough support in Little Rock to become law.

The support for any law, esp gun laws, must come from the citizens, the EMPLOYEER.

Get your friends, gun clubs, etc to tell the EMPLOYEES what you want and then they can pass the law(s).

The problem is with gun people they cant get organized. Shotgunners will seldom support a handgun law and vica versa. Divided we all hang, way too bad.

It is no different in MIchigan. We cant even get a repeal of handgun registration passed.

Last edited: