• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma Open Carry Association (OKOCA) formed

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Oklahoma Open Carry Association (OKOCA) began in 2011 as a Facebook page (www.facebook.com/opencarryok) where Oklahomans interested in the lawful practice of open carry of handguns joined forces to lobby the State Legislature for the passage of a positive firearms bill that included a provision for open carry. This page currently has more than 850 supporters.

SB1733 was signed into law by Governor Mary Fallin on May 15, 2012. A week later, the founders of the Facebook page “I support Open Carry in Oklahoma” formed Oklahoma Open Carry Association (OKOCA). The primary objectives of this organization include educating the public about open carry, to normalize the sight of lawfully carried handguns by licensed and trained citizens, and to work with law enforcement agencies to address their concerns about appropriate procedures when dealing with lawful open carriers.

A major goal of OKOCA is to demonstrate to Oklahomans in general that licensed gun owners are one of the most law-abiding segments of our society and they need not fear lawful open carry. We also seek to exercise and protect the citizens’ right to self defense using the most efficient and common tool, a handgun. To accomplish these objectives, OKOCA hopes to have discussions with law enforcement agencies and the media of our fine state, via email, telephone, and personal interaction.

OKOCA will hold organized meetings which will be open to the general public, as well as larger informal events. These events will include picnics and litter clean-ups as well as an information booth manned by members of our association at local car shows, fairs, festivals, and other public events across the state. OKOCA’s vow to the citizens of the State of Oklahoma is to stay informed of and act against legislation that infringes on their right to open carry, and to always be ambassadors of good will with regard to the safe and lawful carry of a handgun.

For more information, visit our page: http://www.facebook.com/opencarryok

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
OKOCA is holding the following organizational meetings:

Tuesday, June 5 - Golden Corral, 1501 W I-240 Service Road, Oklahoma City Link to event on Facebook

Thursday, June 7 - Golden Corral, 8144 East 21st Street, Tulsa Link to event on Facebook

For both meetings, dinner will start at 6:30PM, and the official meeting will begin at 7PM and last until 8:30PM. Attendees will need to purchase their own meal, but Golden Corral is providing the room to us at no cost. Golden Corral is concealed carry friendly.

The purpose of these meetings is to explain what we have accomplished so far, to answer any questions, and to accept nominations for Regional Coordinators and Board Members. Please indicate that you will be attending on the respective Facebook Event pages.

okiephlyer

I don't Facebook anymore, and won't facebook again until they change some of their policies. Is there another way to stay informed about OKOCA?

Springfield Smitty

OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank good
At this time our only means of disseminating information is on Facebook. However, we do realize that there are many people who do not use the site. We are developing a website and hope to have it functional very soon. When it is available, we will post it here. In the meantime, we will also place our events here in the Oklahoma forum on OCDO. Thank you for your support and interest in our group. We look forward to having you as a member of our organization and I personally look forward to meeting you at one of our upcoming events.

1911er

Can't wait to get back down home so I can get involved in the group. I won't lie it has been nice living up here in WA. were they have non permitted open carry but any Open Carry is better than none at all . Hope to see yall by mid summer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OKOCA is holding the following organizational meetings:

Tuesday, June 5 - Golden Corral, 1501 W I-240 Service Road, Oklahoma City Link to event on Facebook

Thursday, June 7 - Golden Corral, 8144 East 21st Street, Tulsa Link to event on Facebook

For both meetings, dinner will start at 6:30PM, and the official meeting will begin at 7PM and last until 8:30PM. Attendees will need to purchase their own meal, but Golden Corral is providing the room to us at no cost. Golden Corral is concealed carry friendly.

The purpose of these meetings is to explain what we have accomplished so far, to answer any questions, and to accept nominations for Regional Coordinators and Board Members. Please indicate that you will be attending on the respective Facebook Event pages.

Start a new thread for these events on the OK sub-forum and request a sticky - glad to help
icon14.png