• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WV Stories of OC

papa bear

i was in Princeton recently and i didn't know the WV laws :shocker:. but after a call to a buddy of mine we settled on what the laws were i thought i would have some fun, and went to a few stores around there to see

went to wall mart, looks like they had just opened. no one said anything to me so i went to the sports counter and bought a box of 9mm. while i was there i asked the woman, what the law was for carry in WV. she said absolutely. you could not carry unless you had a permit.

then went to Lowe's hardware, had a new trainee at the counter so she had a trainer there. asked them and got a good answer. if i could carry in their store there was a bit of debate, but they assured me that it was OK

went to a few other places but nothing happened

twoskinsonemanns

OC'd today in Autozone, walmart, Martins grocery.

Got a curious look from the check out person at walmart but nothing else.

Good day!

Shallnotbeinfringed

These are older events, but figured I'd put them up.

I went to 7-11 by the VA hospital, two federal police were in there getting coffee. I don't know that they even noticed me OCing. They had to have seen me, I was standing right beside them getting my coffee. No reaction from either, they were talking about something, not even a pause in the conversation.

5 Guys in Ranson, went in, ordered my food, there were 2 tables of guys dressed in black BDU pants and some (all?) were carrying in what was obviously duty belts/holsters. I think, but am not sure, that they were Coasties. No reaction from any of them. Whether this was due to them recognizing I was breaking no laws, or they were so engrossed in their burgers, I can't say.

Sheets in Kearneysville (both the new and old stores), state trooper (old store) and sheriff deputy (new store) getting coffee walked right past me (ordering food), no discernible reaction.

Walmart in Martinsville and Spring Mills, no encounters with store employees, some odd looks, but no one said anything, no MWAG calls (that I know of).

Sig229

I wont be OC'ing in WV for a while.
Im in the Peoples Republic of Maryland for the next week or so.

However, I did still bring my Sig with me thoughg. If there's any place that I need to be armed, its here in Baltimore!

twoskinsonemanns

OC'd to GlockCOP firing range and Food Lion with no problems.
Great to finally find a range/gun shop that didn't disarm their patrons.

Was OC my SS Taurus 357mag in a Fobus paddle holster. Definitely get more looks with it than my small black Bersa.

Dreamer

I wont be OC'ing in WV for a while.
Im in the Peoples Republic of Maryland for the next week or so.

However, I did still bring my Sig with me thoughg. If there's any place that I need to be armed, its here in Baltimore!

Sig, I'm in Columbia MD. We should get together for coffee or a burger or something while your exiled here in the PRM. I'm sure we have some interesting stories to share.

My condolences for you being in Bulletmore. Keep your eyes open, and stay safe!

Sig229

Sig, I'm in Columbia MD. We should get together for coffee or a burger or something while your exiled here in the PRM. I'm sure we have some interesting stories to share.

My condolences for you being in Bulletmore. Keep your eyes open, and stay safe!

Yeah that sounds good.
Im staying at a hotel near BWI at the moment, so Im not that far from Columbia.

Maybe Saturday or Sunday afternoon/early evening.

Im going to that Sailabration thing in the Inner Harbor tomorrow and then the beach during the day on Saturday.

ButchC130

In Baltimore

I have just joined the forum, and wanted to share. I was in Baltimore for 8 weeks this fall. We never had any trouble at all. Except for taxi operators almost running over us. We were down at the IH almost every night, or @ a place called Supano's. The owner is from Wheeling area and a great guy. Occupy Baltimore was going on at that time so there was a good bit of police in the area. Even the walk from the Power Plant back to Holiday Inn at 3 AM was uneventful. Anyway, hope the trip was safe and uneventful.

twoskinsonemanns

I have just joined the forum, and wanted to share. I was in Baltimore for 8 weeks this fall. We never had any trouble at all. Except for taxi operators almost running over us. We were down at the IH almost every night, or @ a place called Supano's. The owner is from Wheeling area and a great guy. Occupy Baltimore was going on at that time so there was a good bit of police in the area. Even the walk from the Power Plant back to Holiday Inn at 3 AM was uneventful. Anyway, hope the trip was safe and uneventful.

Welcome welcome.
You were OCing in Baltimore?

ETA: OC'ed in Advanced Auto and Martins and Penn Liquors in Martinsburg today. No problems. I did feel a little uneasy because I forgot my pocket recorder. But all things good.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

Yeah, OCing in Baltimore? ButchC130 is either the luckiest SOB ever, or he's got some very special and powerful friends in MD.

And why post a MD related 'experience' in a WV thread?

Last edited:

Sig229

I was in Baltimore for 8 weeks this fall. We never had any trouble at all.

We were down at the IH almost every night, or @ a place called Supano's.

Going to the Inner Harbor is not expoerencing teh "real" baltimore.
Go over teo the West, north and even parts of south baltimore and tell me how nice it is.

boutaswell

My son and I went to shoot at a place called Glockcop today. They were closed.. boohoo! Never been there before so I hadn't guessed it might be.

Go back and give them a try if you haven't already. That's where I go to bust caps, I only live about a mile further down the road so I can tell if the range is full by sticking my head out the door. :D They used to have a lot of new stuff in their case but quite a bit is used now, not bad though. I picked up my Ruger Mark II Target for $125.00. They get stuff from police auctions I think. They do order and FFL ship though. Their range is 6 lanes outdoor 25yds +/- and covered. Manual retractable target holders. They are making more changes but it can get warm inside since the windward side is closed off but it's dry anyhow. Cold in the winter; do an hours shooting in 30 minutes. ;) They do CCW classes upstairs, where I did my class.

But, enough. Let me throw in a carry question. When OCing, does the weapon have to be fully exposed? I usually CC and wear a polo. I've gotten now to where I don't feel weird when I bend or lean over or reach up for something. I know at least part of the holster is going to show.

Since WV is an OC state, are there guidelines for carrying CC to insure there is never any exposure? I'm presuming that if I just wear a shirt out and part of the holster shows, is that then open carry or does it have to be fully exposed?

Thanks,

papa bear

i have my suspenses with a place named "Glock Cop", but i will hold my opinion until i get an answer to the email i sent them

do you know if they allow self defense carry on their property?

carried in Bluefeild, tried to get some conversations about carry. most were ill informed