• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WV Stories of OC

twoskinsonemanns

Well I would like to see a thread develop about OC experiences. I see a couple of States' sub-forums have these with 100+ pages.
Please post your experiences. Sometimes I feel pretty isolated. I don't know if I've ever seen someone OC around here.

Anyway. OC'ed for the first time in WV today. I CC often but when it's very warm like today I run into a dilemma of what to do.

So first stop was Target to return a Pictionary game I couldn't get anyone to play with me :(

For my first OC experience in years (last one was in Maine while fishing years and years ago) it wasn't so bad.
The CSR who returned my money looked down at the firearm then back at me then scowled the rest of the short time it took to complete the refund.

Then off to Lowes for some weed-wacker line. No looks, nothing said, good to go.

Last stop was the liquor store for a little Jager treat being Memorial Day weekend. As soon as I pulled up to the store I saw dozens of people in there and half had that "thug look". Forgive me for profiling... But a guy with a wife beater on, sun glasses on inside the store, one of those black stretchable stocking things on the head holding in corn-rolls. To my shame I completely chickened out. I pulled out my shirt and pulled it over the firearm... Making me look like a slob of course and probably "printing" pretty bad...

Anyway my virgin walk as it were.

If there is anyone else out there OC in WV please post your experiences and let me gleam a little courage from you. :lol:

eamelhorn

I havent had any trouble in the Ripley area, except for Walmart. But then nothing was said just managers followed me around, my middle son CC and he exposed his weapon once, (we talked about properly CC'ing) and he was followed every visit for awhile. He had a talk with management, explained he is legal to CC and that he started coming there when we had to carry him in the store, and if it didnt stop he would take his business else where, the following has STOPED. I would love to see a thread as you mentioned on the WV site.

twoskinsonemanns

What part of WV were you in?

I usually OC in Morgantown at least two or three times a week.

Yesterday I OC'ed in Krogers and got a few looks, but no comments and then I went to Wendy;s.

Eastern Panhandle. Berkeley County. Most of my shopping type business happens in Martinsburg so I've got that city-owned property gun ban to worry about.

twoskinsonemanns

OC'ed to Food Lion grocery store yesterday. When I got to the check out the young girl ringing up the groceries looked straight down at my firearm then looked me right in the eye.... then the strangest thing... Her face turned BEET RED. Very weird. Nothing more than that. She was nice. She asked if the fruit flavored beer I was buying was any good and I lied and told her they were for my wife. :lol: She smile and I left.
Not a bad reaction but curious.

Sig229

OC'ed to Food Lion grocery store yesterday. When I got to the check out the young girl ringing up the groceries looked straight down at my firearm then looked me right in the eye.... then the strangest thing... Her face turned BEET RED. Very weird. Nothing more than that. She was nice. She asked if the fruit flavored beer I was buying was any good and I lied and told her they were for my wife. :lol: She smile and I left.
Not a bad reaction but curious.

lol thats funny.

JeffTL

Huntington Mall

Going to the Huntington Mall with my girlfriend this afternoon and I will be OC. Ill check back later to let you all know how it went.

JeffTL

Going to the Huntington Mall with my girlfriend this afternoon and I will be OC. Ill check back later to let you all know how it went.

Huntington mall has a firearms are prohibited sign on the front door. I read it and decided not to willfully ignore it. I went to best buy as well. They had no signage, so I OCd and there was no trouble. talked to a guy about speakers and he definitely noticed my weapon but he did not comment or seem jumpy.

twoskinsonemanns

My son and I went to shoot at a place called Glockcop today. They were closed.. boohoo! Never been there before so I hadn't guessed it might be.
Then OC'd to TacoBell (the boy want a chicken quesadilla hold the chicken! Sheesh) Then Lowes, Target, and Sweet Frog. No problems except Sweet Frog (first time there) charges for their yogurt by weight. $11 for two small frozen yogurts!
No one gave me any dirty looks but the guy at Lowes helping me with a grill looked EXTREMELY nervous. Kept glancing at the firearm then back at me. Also he was stumbling over his sentences losing his train of thought. I felt bad for the guy. I wanted to have a conversation with him about OCing and try to alleviate his fears but he didn't bring it up so I didn't.
I really don't want to make people uneasy. Maybe the next time he sees me he'll remember I wasn't a psycho killer last time so I'm probably still ok. :(

twoskinsonemanns

OC today into Autozone. No problems. No looks.

Hey maybe we can get the mods to change the thread title to "WV Stories of Sig and Twoskins OCing"!

:D

ArmedSociety

There are several on the WVCDL Facebook page who OC regularly. You might try luring some of them over here. (I don't have an FB account myself.)

JeffTL

As an experiment I OC'd at three in the morning all around my neighborhood in Huntington. I stopped in a speedway and all was good, employees there paid no special attention to me. when i left speedway there was a LEO across the street parked with his headlights on. to get home i would have to walk directly in front of him. PERFECT! I did. Was maybe 6 feet in front of his cruiser he was looking right at me and my right hip was there in front of him P220 sitting right there in the serpa for all to see. he didnt even flinch. i figured he would at least try to ask a question or something. he saw it and then just continued reading whatever was on his clipboard. apparently he knows its legal, even at 3 AM, and knew he had no reason to pester me.

Sig229

As an experiment I OC'd at three in the morning all around my neighborhood in Huntington. I stopped in a speedway and all was good, employees there paid no special attention to me. when i left speedway there was a LEO across the street parked with his headlights on. to get home i would have to walk directly in front of him. PERFECT! I did. Was maybe 6 feet in front of his cruiser he was looking right at me and my right hip was there in front of him P220 sitting right there in the serpa for all to see. he didnt even flinch. i figured he would at least try to ask a question or something. he saw it and then just continued reading whatever was on his clipboard. apparently he knows its legal, even at 3 AM, and knew he had no reason to pester me.

Thats excellent news!

Perhaps OC'ing Sig's is somehow lucky. hehe

knight0334

Its been about 5 years since I OC'd in West Virginia - but I had no problems whatsoever in Hancock and Brooke Counties.

I did get eyeballed by a sheriff deputy when I was walking from my vehicle to a shop in the plaza at Pennsylvania Ave and Penco Rd. But he just gave me a nod when I noticed him.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

awesome! Great to see cops not harassing a LAC.

There are several on the WVCDL Facebook page who OC regularly. You might try luring some of them over here. (I don't have an FB account myself.)

I'm facebook challenged, can you post a link to this page you speak of. The only I could find was this:

wvcdl.jpg

twoskinsonemanns

lol
Thats funny.
But kinda worrying to be honest.
There has to be more than just you and myself who OC regularly in West Virginia.
Hell, I dont even live in West Virginia and I OC often there!

Yeah I wish there was a little more support around here. If we ever had a "meet and greet" there would probably only be 3 people there and each person would probably have to drive 3 hours to meet in the middle. :cry:

PistolPackingMomma

My husband and I OC whenever we visit my family in WV. Had one or two interesting non-events, but most of the time it was normal, un-noticed stuff.