• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WV Stories of OC

Tackett

Arma1911

Reading the story above I felt like I should post a good experience that happened recently. In sharing I hope that it will inspire others to OC.

I too have only ever seen few OCer's but LOTS of not-so-discretely cc'd weapons. I typically OC in the panhandle part of the state when I am there. Anyway, I had a need to call the local police recently. One deputy sherrif showed up to speak with me and at he never said a work about my weapon. In fact, he was extremely friendly and professional.

Tackett

There is one thing I've always been confused about, and I can never seem to find a definitive answer.

If one does not have a CCL and decides to open carry, does this person have to disarm, unload and place the mag in the glove box (or other seperate location) and the gun on the dash or passenger seat when entering a vehicle?
That's the way I've always interpreted the law and told others to do who want to OC and do not have a CCL.

Or can you simply load, arm and go about your buisness? Seems a lot safer that way. The less you have to handle your fire arm, the safer you are IMO.

Then what happens if someone tries to car jack you? "Hold on mr criminal while I load my gun."

Last edited:

Shallnotbeinfringed

Tackett,

The way the law is written, if you do not have your Concealed Pistol/Revolver license you cannot carry a loaded firearm of any kind in a motor vehicle. Car, truck, motorcycle, ATV, etc. including attachments, which I believe would include trailers or possibly even camper shells.

The natural resource code reads:

(9) Have in his or her possession a crossbow with a nocked bolt, a loaded firearm or a firearm from the magazine of which all shells and cartridges have not been removed, in or on any vehicle or conveyance, or its attachments, within the state, except as may otherwise be provided by law or regulation. Except as hereinafter provided, between five o'clock postmeridian of one day and seven o'clock antemeridian, eastern standard time of the day following, any unloaded firearm or crossbow, being lawfully carried in accordance with the foregoing provisions, may be so carried only when in a case or taken apart and securely wrapped. During the period from July 1 to September 30, inclusive, of each year, the foregoing requirements relative to carrying certain unloaded firearms are permissible only from eight-thirty o'clock postmeridian to five o'clock antemeridian, eastern standard time: Provided, That the time periods for carrying unloaded and uncased firearms are extended for one hour after the postmeridian times and one hour before the antemeridian times established above if a hunter is preparing to or in the process of transporting or transferring the firearms to or from a hunting site, campsite, home or other place of abode;

available here: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/ChapterEntire.cfmchap=20&art=2&section=5#02

with an exception made for concealed carry permit holders under WV Code Chapter 20-2-6a here: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/ChapterEntire.cfm?chap=20&art=2&section=6A#02

§20-2-6a. Carrying a concealed handgun.
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of this code to the contrary, a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to the provisions of section four, article seven, chapter sixty-one of this code who is not prohibited at the time from possessing a firearm pursuant to the provisions of section seven, article seven, chapter sixty-one of this code or by any applicable federal law may carry a handgun in a concealed manner for self defense purposes while afield hunting, hiking, camping or in or on a motor vehicle.

I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice. Its a laypersons interpretation of the text of the law. It is worth precisely what you paid for it. :)

Come check out WVCDL on facebook, this topic just came up

Tackett

Tackett,

The way the law is written, if you do not have your Concealed Pistol/Revolver license you cannot carry a loaded firearm of any kind in a motor vehicle. Car, truck, motorcycle, ATV, etc. including attachments, which I believe would include trailers or possibly even camper shells.

The natural resource code reads:

(9) Have in his or her possession a crossbow with a nocked bolt, a loaded firearm or a firearm from the magazine of which all shells and cartridges have not been removed, in or on any vehicle or conveyance, or its attachments, within the state, except as may otherwise be provided by law or regulation. Except as hereinafter provided, between five o'clock postmeridian of one day and seven o'clock antemeridian, eastern standard time of the day following, any unloaded firearm or crossbow, being lawfully carried in accordance with the foregoing provisions, may be so carried only when in a case or taken apart and securely wrapped. During the period from July 1 to September 30, inclusive, of each year, the foregoing requirements relative to carrying certain unloaded firearms are permissible only from eight-thirty o'clock postmeridian to five o'clock antemeridian, eastern standard time: Provided, That the time periods for carrying unloaded and uncased firearms are extended for one hour after the postmeridian times and one hour before the antemeridian times established above if a hunter is preparing to or in the process of transporting or transferring the firearms to or from a hunting site, campsite, home or other place of abode;

available here: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/ChapterEntire.cfmchap=20&art=2&section=5#02

with an exception made for concealed carry permit holders under WV Code Chapter 20-2-6a here: http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/ChapterEntire.cfm?chap=20&art=2&section=6A#02

§20-2-6a. Carrying a concealed handgun.
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of this code to the contrary, a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to the provisions of section four, article seven, chapter sixty-one of this code who is not prohibited at the time from possessing a firearm pursuant to the provisions of section seven, article seven, chapter sixty-one of this code or by any applicable federal law may carry a handgun in a concealed manner for self defense purposes while afield hunting, hiking, camping or in or on a motor vehicle.

I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice. Its a laypersons interpretation of the text of the law. It is worth precisely what you paid for it. :)

Come check out WVCDL on facebook, this topic just came up

That's the way I've always interpreted it and practiced when I did not have my CCL.

I would enter the vehicle, unholster my side arm, remove the mag, place the side arm in the seat and the mag in the center console. So I would have a mag in the glove box, a mag in the holster and the side arm on the seat.

For this reason I rarely had the gun in the one position, simply because it was too big of a hassle to eject the round every time I wanted to enter the vehicle. If I was going to spend a long period of time somewhere I would chamber before exiting. But it was pretty rare. And again this is the practice I tell people to use when carrying without a CCL.

I was stopped for speeding once when practicing this way, and the officer had me exit the vehicle. He checked the side arm for load and asked me where the mags were. I told him one was on me, and one was in the console. He then told me as far as he knew that was the correct way to transport a gun. He also went on to say that very rarely does anyone do it correctly, and he has NEVER arrested someone for having a loaded plain sight firearm. Though he never has, and most don't, if an officer had a burr up his ass that day he/she could easily cause a stir. So the way I was doing it was probably the safest way without a CCL.

Law information from an officer FWIW. It did make me feel better at the time though. But that's been years ago.

ElTeeRanDee

I personally have no stories to tell from OCing in West-By-God, but having moved here almost a year ago (and finally being able to arrange my furniture after an impromptu deployment) I'm looking forward to being out this weekend.

I'm seeing someone about a new OC weapon (Though I do love carrying a wheelgun!) on Thursday up in Morgantown, then back down to Ronceverte to help a friend move to PA, then home to Cass.

I'll report any stops (good or bad) along the way.

600 miles this weekend and all of them will be OC. Hopefully it'll be enlightening.

Tackett

If you don't mind carrying a full size frame. I've always carried a steyr m40. It's a fantastic weapon and very easy to handle. They are not anywhere near as pricey as they used to be since you don't have to have them individually imported anymore. (I think buds has some for ~450.) They have only trigger safety and no manual safety, the slide is very comfortable and quiet to rack, the trap sights are very quick, it's pretty light being a poly frame, the ergonomics are perfect, and the .40 holds 12+1 and the 9mm holds 17+1.

Shallnotbeinfringed

It was a busy couple of days, so, without further ado:

Glory Days & Gander Mtn in Winchester, VA last night. Good food and looking at bows. VERY FIRST OC with the wife. She requested that I not OC, it's just not something she is comfortable with. CC is fine, its the potential confrontation she is concerned about. But its just situationial, in Gander Mtn, she was fine with me OCing. After walking out of Glory Days, I said, "No one even batted an eye." It took her several steps to realize what I was talking about. Hug and a kiss and "thats awesome". I think we had a break through :)

Today:

Sheetz on 11 across from Lowes
7-11 by the V.A. hospital
Food Lion in Hedgesville (forgot my damn wallet and had to run back out to the truck. Looked like a fool.)
Burger King in Hedgesville - Don't bother eating there. In the last 5 years I think they got 1 of my orders right.
All over Sleepy Creek, from Devils nose to the south end of the lake.

Ed Soler

Question about oc ?

Hi I'm new here I moved to we south charleston and I have a doubt some one posted that he oc on Dunbar and some in charleston now I just have purchased a sd40 ve and its a nice gun but I have doubts that you can legally open carry in charleston I understand that in federal buildings and municipal buildings you can so any where that a sign says no gun allowed but I want it to start oc my gun in say going to kroggers or Wendy's or such, I long time ago I used to oc in California when it was legal and always had cops coming and harrasing now that hasn't deterred me to keep excersing my right of 2A just wondering is it legal to be on public street and or property and oc in charleston, south charleston, Dunbar and so on ?

Tackett

Hey buddy I live in so.chas as well. Chances are we know one another. I'm a RN and work over at Thomas memorial.

Anyway. I do not carry downtown, I've not yet had to carry in Dunbar, but I carry everywhere else.

I've rarely had an issue aside from a few awkward looks and comments/questions that typically come with the territory.

I was under the impression that you could NOT carry downtown or in the town of Dunbar. Whether or not this includes the whole are or just within downtown or not, I'm not sure and haven't tested it yet.

I would not carry downtown, there are police all over the place and you really can't go anywhere with it anyway. The mall is not allowed, and 99% of the buildings are city owned. (Including the mall, the shops just rent space from the city.)

But green light everywhere else. I carry aroun south ridge mostly because its where I live, downtown so chas and pretty well everywhere else I go.

Be sure to print out a pamphlet or two off of here and keep on you when you carry, this way if you get stopped by a LEO you can kindly educate him/her and avoid confrontation. It's came in handy for me a few times.

Tackett

It was a busy couple of days, so, without further ado:

Glory Days & Gander Mtn in Winchester, VA last night. Good food and looking at bows. VERY FIRST OC with the wife. She requested that I not OC, it's just not something she is comfortable with. CC is fine, its the potential confrontation she is concerned about. But its just situationial, in Gander Mtn, she was fine with me OCing. After walking out of Glory Days, I said, "No one even batted an eye." It took her several steps to realize what I was talking about. Hug and a kiss and "thats awesome". I think we had a break through :)

Today:

Sheetz on 11 across from Lowes
7-11 by the V.A. hospital
Food Lion in Hedgesville (forgot my damn wallet and had to run back out to the truck. Looked like a fool.)
Burger King in Hedgesville - Don't bother eating there. In the last 5 years I think they got 1 of my orders right.
All over Sleepy Creek, from Devils nose to the south end of the lake.

You do realize that VA and WV are two different states right?

Ed Soler

Hey buddy I live in so.chas as well. Chances are we know one another. I'm a RN and work over at Thomas memorial.

Anyway. I do not carry downtown, I've not yet had to carry in Dunbar, but I carry everywhere else.

I've rarely had an issue aside from a few awkward looks and comments/questions that typically come with the territory.

I was under the impression that you could NOT carry downtown or in the town of Dunbar. Whether or not this includes the whole are or just within downtown or not, I'm not sure and haven't tested it yet.

I would not carry downtown, there are police all over the place and you really can't go anywhere with it anyway. The mall is not allowed, and 99% of the buildings are city owned. (Including the mall, the shops just rent space from the city.)

But green light everywhere else. I carry aroun south ridge mostly because its where I live, downtown so chas and pretty well everywhere else I go.

Be sure to print out a pamphlet or two off of here and keep on you when you carry, this way if you get stopped by a LEO you can kindly educate him/her and avoid confrontation. It's came in handy for me a few times.

Thanks ill look for the link on the pamphlets to print them so yea I will avoid downtown now I don't know the right procedure to carry in the car with out the Ccw so all I understand if I'm alone in the car take the mag off and put it on the center console or glove box and the gun in the passenger seat but what about if I have some passenger with me?

papa bear

Hey, this is for all the WV people. not just picking on TACKETTE. i have only been to Charleston a couple of times. i ask, is it illegal to carry in the downtown area? if it is i would suggest that you work to get that changed. if NOT, then i would suggest that you do carry there.

if you don't exercise a right you will lose it.

if you do the sheeple will get used to it and will not pay attention. may i make a suggestion. if you are afraid then get together and go in packs. they can't arrest you all

carry and carry often

Tackett

Thanks ill look for the link on the pamphlets to print them so yea I will avoid downtown now I don't know the right procedure to carry in the car with out the Ccw so all I understand if I'm alone in the car take the mag off and put it on the center console or glove box and the gun in the passenger seat but what about if I have some passenger with me?

Well, I always tell people to eject the mag, and throw the empty gun on the dashboard.

But this is a grey area since the DNR law and the State law are conflicting.

Id imagine that if you are pulled over, you would have plenty of time to unload and place the gun in plain view. If it was a revolver I wouldn't even bother unloading it. I would just put it in plain view

ArmedSociety

Unload when you get in the car, and store the gun and ammunition separately.

DO NOT quickly grab your gun and unload while a cop is about to approach your vehicle.

Ed Soler

Unload when you get in the car, and store the gun and ammunition separately.

DO NOT quickly grab your gun and unload while a cop is about to approach your vehicle.

Ok so unload it, and trow the gun where? What about if its two people in tha car I mean I'm not trying to be a jerk just I don't I though you could have it loaded has long was on the dash board or passenger seat I'm sorry just getting confused

Last edited: