• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WV Stories of OC

twoskinsonemanns

i have my suspenses with a place named "Glock Cop", but i will hold my opinion until i get an answer to the email i sent them

do you know if they allow self defense carry on their property?

carried in Bluefeild, tried to get some conversations about carry. most were ill informed

See post #26.

FWIW. I shot there that day. OC'ed a shinny 357mag right into the shop. No problems, no anti 2A signs. I had a fine conversation with a very friendly man behind the counter. I think there were three employees in there. I think they were all OCing. I felt right at home. They were very friendly. The range was a little rinky-dink but nice and practical. I definitely will be back and recommend it. The only bad is no rifles, 45acp and weaker, no children. I understand it but I still have yet to find a close place, where I can take my 10 year old to teach him, that is NOT anti 2A. I certainly would not hold back my opinion if they were anti 2A.

In fact just for anyone who cares to know it, a range/gun club located in Gerrardstown, WV close to Inwood, named Peacemakers National Training Center (sponsored by the NRA and Colt) IS very much anti 2A for it's customers. Staff walk around flaunting their OC'ed guns but NOONE, even club members, is allowed to OC/CC on their property.

Disgraceful.

twoskinsonemanns

But, enough. Let me throw in a carry question. When OCing, does the weapon have to be fully exposed? I usually CC and wear a polo. I've gotten now to where I don't feel weird when I bend or lean over or reach up for something. I know at least part of the holster is going to show.

Since WV is an OC state, are there guidelines for carrying CC to insure there is never any exposure? I'm presuming that if I just wear a shirt out and part of the holster shows, is that then open carry or does it have to be fully exposed?

Thanks,
Good question. I haven't come across anything to indicate anything more than common sense is required. A lot of the time I notice WV doesn't have clear laws to cover the bases. I have 3 firearms I carry. One fobus, one Serpa and one IWB. When I care IWB I consider it OC. But that's just my opinion. It seems illogical for a cop to say I'm concealing if he walks up and ask about the gun sticking out of my jeans. :D

Sig229

OC'ed today at the Walgreens in Star City (got some strange looks).

Then went to the BP station off of I-68 exit 10 near Morgantown. The lady behind the counter and I had a real nice chat about OC and how messed up the roads are in Pennsylvania. She called Pennsylvania "the Pothole Capital of the U.S." LMAO

After that I OC'ed at the Mc Donalds off of I-79 exit 155.

ETA: I meant to go up the the I-79 WV Welcome Center rest stop to see of they had removed the "No Guns" sign yet (as ordered by the AG) but I forgot.
Next time Im down there I will definitely stop in and see if the sign has been removed.
I'll probably do it tomorrow night sometime.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

OC'd yesterday to the gas station and grocery store. There was LEO (sheriff dept) in the gas station. Nothing said.

In the grocery store a guy who LOOKED like the case of beer he was buying wasn't his first that night was in line behind me.
"You guys getting a lot of calls?" (I assume he thought I was a cop and he was referring to complications of all the power outages in the area). I just said "It's sure is rough out there right now" and left after paying. Non-issue but funny. Guess there's not much to do but drink beer when the lights are out. :lol:

Arma1911

Looks like no one has pasted in a day or so to this thread.... but anyway, I regularly carry in Moorefield. I have never had any problems OCing there.....Gas station, USCellular store, etc. The ONLY person who has given me a "problem" is my young daughter who just can't seem to get used to seeing her dad with a gun on his hip, LOL :D

twoskinsonemanns

Looks like no one has pasted in a day or so to this thread.... but anyway, I regularly carry in Moorefield. I have never had any problems OCing there.....Gas station, USCellular store, etc. The ONLY person who has given me a "problem" is my young daughter who just can't seem to get used to seeing her dad with a gun on his hip, LOL :D

OC'd to Tango Down Gun Range in Hedgesville (great range!) and then to Martins in Martinsburg. Been carrying the 357 mag in fobus paddle lately. Man there were tons and tons of people in Martinsburg. So glad to be back in my house on my dead end dirt road out in the boonies!
No problems at all. One guy was trying to give me a dirty look but I was in a hurry and couldn't give him a second thought. He may have just been constipated. I couldn't spare enough time to try and see if he was looking at the firearm.

Also my kid has seen me carry at home for such a long time. I don't think he even notices it any more.

USAF1N33

I live in Martinsburg and open carry just about daily. Only story I have was at the shell at spring mills. I was walking in to prepay and a woman yells across the station, "What's the gun for?" I ignored her comment.

twoskinsonemanns

I live in Martinsburg and open carry just about daily. Only story I have was at the shell at spring mills. I was walking in to prepay and a woman yells across the station, "What's the gun for?" I ignored her comment.

Welcome to the forum!
Just out of curiosity what were you carrying?

USAF1N33

Welcome to the forum!
Just out of curiosity what were you carrying?

Thank you! I was carrying my S&W M&P40 at the time. I recently purchased a new Ruger SR40c. Its much more comfortable and easy to conceal when the occasion calls for it. I have a 50 state federal carry permit, but still prefer to open carry. I can think of at least five people who now open carry because I educated them.

Arma1911

USAF, welcome to OCDO! I too am very new to the site. I am happy to see there are other OCers in WV. You mentioned that you have a 50-state Federal Carry Permit. Is that because you are employed in a Law Enforcement Agency? Almost everytime that I OC someone will ask me if I am in Law Enforcement and I wish that I could say, yes, because the average American seems much more tolerable to the idea of a LEO carrying than a honest, hardworking, average joe or jane carrying. I am new to OC myself and it is still not as comfortable as CC...hopefully, one day it will be.

USAF1N33

USAF, welcome to OCDO! I too am very new to the site. I am happy to see there are other OCers in WV. You mentioned that you have a 50-state Federal Carry Permit. Is that because you are employed in a Law Enforcement Agency? Almost everytime that I OC someone will ask me if I am in Law Enforcement and I wish that I could say, yes, because the average American seems much more tolerable to the idea of a LEO carrying than a honest, hardworking, average joe or jane carrying. I am new to OC myself and it is still not as comfortable as CC...hopefully, one day it will be.

I am employed by the DOD. I am not a law enforcement officer as I do not have a jurisdiction. However, routine work with multiple agencies as well as TS clearance allowed me to obtain the permit. I can carry in schools, on city property and federal property as well. Pretty much anywhere but an airplane. Still like my open carry in West by god Virginia. Moving to California in two weeks. No open carry for me :-(

Sig229

I am employed by the DOD. I am not a law enforcement officer as I do not have a jurisdiction. However, routine work with multiple agencies as well as TS clearance allowed me to obtain the permit. I can carry in schools, on city property and federal property as well. Pretty much anywhere but an airplane. Still like my open carry in West by god Virginia. Moving to California in two weeks. No open carry for me :-(

That would mean you were deputized as a federal agent.
Which agency gave you these carry privileges?

Sig229

OC'ed yesterday at the BFS gas station off of exit 10 ob I-68 and the Wal Mart off of exit 1 near the I-79/68 junction.

Today OC'ed at the circle K on Morgantown RD and a Sheriff Jeep was in teh parking lot. He noticed me OC'ing but didnt say anything.

Ex Pat

OK, I will register for the forum to keep this thread going.:D

Open carried on the way to Richwood yesterday. Stopped for gas and went in the store for a cold ice tea. There were multiple people in line and nothing was said, not even a strange look.

twoskinsonemanns

Wow. You registered just to keep the thread alive. Thank you kindly and welcome to the forum!
I hope you continue to participate.

twoskinsonemanns

Yesterday with the wife, OC'd to Glockcop range in Martinsburg, then to Logan's Roadhouse.
The wife is really digging the new Sig Sauer Pro 2022 9mm. Sh'e started hinting that I may be losing it. :(:eek:

twoskinsonemanns

OC'd to Tango Down Gun Range with my 10yo son, then to Ledo Pizza, then to Sweet Frog, then be to Ledo Pizza to get order.
First time OCing the Sig IIRC. All good!

armysgt2008

I also live in Martinsburg...

Eastern Panhandle. Berkeley County. Most of my shopping type business happens in Martinsburg so I've got that city-owned property gun ban to worry about.

Since I'm new to this OCing thing, i'm not real sure what City Owned Property we are talking about minus the obvious...Court House, Jail, Tax Office and so forth... Forgive my noobness, please educate me.

armysgt2008

OC'd in Walmart last night around 11pm. Rather unfortunate that I had to go to Walmart (spring mills) so late but, my AC ran outta Pyron sometime over the weekend when i was gone :( So I went to get a fan.

So, I asked a young lady where the fans where and she glanced down on my sidearm and that was that. We talked about fans for a bit and that was it. I personally felt she was 100 percent comfortable with it! Since I'm new to this OCing thing and all, made me feel damn good.