• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone been ticketed for anything while icing?

Natenite

Ok so I have been trying to muster the guts to OC here in Springfield and have been reading lots and asking lots of questions of people and had one guy scare the crap out of me. I walked into a local gun store and asked the guy working who I think is the owner but am not certain about OCing and how well received it is. He said its not worth it and that if the cops are called on you that you will "get papers" which I took to mean a ticket or citation for something like disturbing the peace or public menace or whatever it's called. Well.. Being totally new to all of this I am wondering if that is an accurate perspective or not. Also I am wondering what the consequences are long term for such tickets. Is this something that could affect me getting my cc or owning guns in general?

On a side note are all small guns store guys just mean and scary? The guys at academy and bass pro are really friendly but the 2 local stores I have gone in have intense dudes. No smiles or anything. I was expecting a little bit of friendliness when I was looking at $600 pistols.

Nate

Last edited:

larueman

OCing in Springfield is pretty good. Coppers are getting more aware though it can still be a PITA.

If I was you I would go to Academy or Bass Pro and by your pistol make a copy of the reciept and give it to the aholes at the gun shop. There is a lot of them around here that are rude and dont give a crap about there customers here in SW MO. A little friendliness goes a long way.

Redbaron007

Unless you actually know the LGS 'dudes' and know they have credibility, take their comments with a grain of salt. Many of them are not OC friendly. Same goes with Academy and BPS; some of those guys don't know a 38 from a 30-06. They may be friendly, but sometimes not too product smart. Best bet is to do your homework online.

As too the SPD; many of the guys are versed in OC. Don't be a jerk to them and you should be fine. Just remember, if you are asked to leave...LEAVE...sign or not.

Mo

Banned
On a side note are all small guns store guys just mean and scary?

Most I've dealt with have been. And that's why they no longer get my money. They need to learn to compete instead of just blaming their competition.

Natenite

Lol. I tried to fix that but couldn't. Did a solid palm to face when I saw that. Stupid auto correct.

REALteach4u

Ok so I have been trying to muster the guts to OC here in Springfield and have been reading lots and asking lots of questions of people and had one guy scare the crap out of me. I walked into a local gun store and asked the guy working who I think is the owner but am not certain about OCing and how well received it is. He said its not worth it and that if the cops are called on you that you will "get papers" which I took to mean a ticket or citation for something like disturbing the peace or public menace or whatever it's called. Well.. Being totally new to all of this I am wondering if that is an accurate perspective or not. Also I am wondering what the consequences are long term for such tickets. Is this something that could affect me getting my cc or owning guns in general?

On a side note are all small guns store guys just mean and scary? The guys at academy and bass pro are really friendly but the 2 local stores I have gone in have intense dudes. No smiles or anything. I was expecting a little bit of friendliness when I was looking at $600 pistols.

Nate

After SPD's last OC media spectacle I haven't heard or seen much on the issue as far as negativity goes. Most of them know that OC is legal inside the city limits, but remain courteous and professional if you receive a LE contact while OC'ing. Doc can tell you that calm, courteous, and professional goes a long way with LE on OC encounters.

I'm not sure on the impact a DC ticket would have on your firearm rights. I'd tend to lean towards the pattern of behavior, documented in public records, demonstrating that you are a danger to yourself or others issue that's similar to what's in the CCW laws for endorsement revokation.

When my PD guys arrive today I'll ask them about the DC tickets in town to see where at least one of them stands or perhaps if he knows of a policy against it for OC.

Care to tell us which stores? There are a couple I tend to steer folks away from.

Last edited:

Natenite

I would be willing to mention the stores but I am not looking to drag a stores through the mud when I still am learning the whole gun world. also not lookin to make enemies on here just yet. Hoping to make some friends first.

I asked someone in the jail about how the officers feel about OC but he didn't have much to say on it. Tryin to figure out if cops would be reasonable if I got called on. The guy that worked for sheriff that I talked too was knowledgable about it but had to google the laws for reference since he used to Answers phones for he ccw office.

I watched the usmcbess video with the shotgun incident and it seemed the cops were willing to be reasonable but bess seemed to be aggravating the situation. Dunno but I know I still have lots to figure out.

Last edited:

HighFlyingA380

Yeah, don't take gun advice from pawn shops. They seem to know just enough to B.S. uneducated buyers into purchasing some expensive gun. They're there only to make money, and that's all they care about, not getting you the right gun that fits your need.

Don't get advice from Bass Pro. They generally don't know jack about anything. I had to buy some .30-30 ammo there once, but he idiot grabbed .30-06 boxes and rang 'em up, and put 'em in a bag without me seeing it. I looked in it as soon as he handed me the bag and said it was wrong, to give me the right stuff. He said that they can't take returns, because I could have tampered with it, and then added, "but why would you return it anyway? You can shoot an .30-06 out of a .30-30, the only difference is the shape." WHAT!?!?!?! Needless to say I was not happy, and it took me about an hour arguing with the manager, until someone said he was going to buy .30-06, so he just bought me what I needed and we traded.

Long story short, do your own research on guns, because most people selling them will just blow smoke up your a$$ to make the sale.

Also, I advise you not to get information on OCing from law enforcement. Sadly, those paid to enforce the laws generally don't know the laws. (Makes sense, right?)

From what I hear, Springfield is pretty good with OC. You'll be nervous for a while, I know I was, but you just gotta do it. You'll come to find that the vast majority of people don't even notice it, and the few that do most likely won't do anything but stare and whisper amongst themselves. Just don't worry about other people and go about your normal business.

REALteach4u

Btw what was their latest OC spectacle? I am totally oblivious.

It was the incident at Kum and Go near MSU, think it was last year or the year before. They still haven't gotten past that smear just yet.

SPD guy is looking into department policy on the matter. He suggested that anyone interested in the legal ramifications contact a lawyer that might have case precedence info as he does not have it readily available. (Mo blue book is his misguided friend)

Last edited:

Fyermn

It was the incident at Kum and Go near MSU, think it was last year or the year before. They still haven't gotten past that smear just yet.

SPD guy is looking into department policy on the matter. He suggested that anyone interested in the legal ramifications contact a lawyer that might have case precedence info as he does not have it readily available. (Mo blue book is his misguided friend)

The one on Kimbrough and Elm?? I OC there nearly everyday that I work.

REALteach4u

The one on Kimbrough and Elm?? I OC there nearly everyday that I work.

Been a long while since the article, but yes I do believe that's the one. If memory serves, it was a citizen that made the anonymous call.

Doc or Shooter may have the article archived.

Last edited: