• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State of Idaho

robert1970

I have a couple of questions. Iam from Blackfoot Idaho,and I was talking to a leo the other day,and he was telling me that you have to have a hunting license to open carry in thise state,does enyone know if thats true? I was also wondering if in idaho you have to id yourself to the ploice.

ManInBlack

I have a couple of questions. Iam from Blackfoot Idaho,and I was talking to a leo the other day,and he was telling me that you have to have a hunting license to open carry in thise state,does enyone know if thats true? I was also wondering if in idaho you have to id yourself to the ploice.

You do not need any license to openly carry any firearm in the state of Idaho, whether or not your are in the field. You do need a license to hunt. I would be cautious about wearing the latest Realtree or Mossy Oak patterns, and creeping stealthily through the woods, while carrying a long gun in hunting areas without a hunting license, but your mileage may vary.

You do not need any license or permit to conceal a legal rifle or shotgun.

If you are within a vehicle, within city limits, and your weapons are loaded, they must not be concealed if you do not have a permit. Loaded is considered ammo+gun, whether or not a round is chambered. You may openly carry a loaded, chambered long gun in a vehicle. You may openly carry a loaded, chambered handgun on your hip or other "plain sight" location within a vehicle. If you are within a vehicle, in unincorporated areas, you may conceal a weapon without a permit. You may not carry it concealed, on your person, while on foot.

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33SECT18-3302.htm

TITLE 18 CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS

CHAPTER 33 FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES AND OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS

(7) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, or on property in which the person has any ownership or leasehold interest, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon without a license to carry a concealed weapon. For the purposes of this section, a concealed weapon means any dirk, dirk knife, bowie knife, dagger, pistol, revolver or any other deadly or dangerous weapon. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle.

(8) A county sheriff, deputy sheriff or county employee who issues a license to carry a concealed weapon under this section shall not incur any civil or criminal liability as the result of the performance of his duties under this section.

(9) While in any motor vehicle, inside the limits or confines of any city, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon on or about his person without a license to carry a concealed weapon. This shall not apply to any firearm located in plain view whether it is loaded or unloaded. A firearm may be concealed legally in a motor vehicle so long as the weapon is disassembled or unloaded.

Last edited:

robert1970

I didnt really think you needed a hunting license.I was thinking thise perticular leo was against open carry.

DocWalker

This LEO is an IDIOT; I would have asked him to show me the law requiring it. I would also like to have his supervisor present when he showed me so he could see what a dofus he has working for him.