• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have you come this close to shooting your own kid?

zekester

I am at home on extended leave from work, personal issues, dead asleep and I hear a pounding at the door, not a knock…a pounding. I awake startled, grabbed my Glock and try to assess the situation. Next thing I hear is my front door being opened. I go into “This SOB is dead” mode. This is all happening within a few seconds. I jump out of my bed, lay down between my door jam and the hallway (figure the bad guy is going to look for someone standing up). I see a shadow of a person on the wall. If you have never been in this situation, let me tell you something. Knowing in your heart that you about to shoot and possibly end a life is not a good feeling, but I was surprised in my calmness. I guess I took on the “him or me “ feeling. Just before the figure turned the corner , I hear…”DAD!!!…You ok?” I was not aware that my son had made a copy of the key to my house. He was just checking on me, because I haven't called him in a while. My "calmness" quickly went to fear knowing I almost killed my son.

Let me tell you, there was quite of bit of yelling, hugging and kissing after this, not to mention awareness on my son’s part. I am pretty sure if he didn't, I sh@@ my pants…

I know in my heart, that if he would have turned that corner without saying a word, he may be dead today. I swear this happened in about 45 seconds...I should have yelled..." I have a firearm", who are you and the like...this happened so fast.....My son had unlocked the door before he "knocked"..

With this situation and with the time frame, my GOD how would you know...I was lucky that day.

I say "I" was lucky that day, because I can't imagine anyone going on normally with their life knowing that they shot and killed their own child.

Redbaron007

I am at home on extended leave from work, personal issues, dead asleep and I hear a pounding at the door, not a knock…a pounding. I awake startled, grabbed my Glock and try to assess the situation. Next thing I hear is my front door being opened. I go into “This SOB is dead” mode. This is all happening within a few seconds. I jump out of my bed, lay down between my door jam and the hallway (figure the bad guy is going to look for someone standing up). I see a shadow of a person on the wall. If you have never been in this situation, let me tell you something. Knowing in your heart that you about to shoot and possibly end a life is not a good feeling, but I was surprised in my calmness. I guess I took on the “him or me “ feeling. Just before the figure turned the corner , I hear…”DAD!!!…You ok?” I was not aware that my son had made a copy of the key to my house. He was just checking on me, because I haven't called him in a while. My "calmness" quickly went to fear knowing I almost killed my son.

Let me tell you, there was quite of bit of yelling, hugging and kissing after this, not to mention awareness on my son’s part. I am pretty sure if he didn't, I sh@@ my pants…

I know in my heart, that if he would have turned that corner without saying a word, he may be dead today. I swear this happened in about 45 seconds...I should have yelled..." I have a firearm", who are you and the like...this happened so fast.....My son had unlocked the door before he "knocked"..

With this situation and with the time frame, my GOD how would you know...I was lucky that day.

I say "I" was lucky that day, because I can't imagine anyone going on normally with their life knowing that they shot and killed their own child.

I haven't been that close.......we have teenagers coming in going all the time with my kids...so I could see where it could happen. I have thought of this scenario with the traffic I have. Only the family/friends come through the garage...no one has a key to the doors, period. We have told all the kids to announce themselves when they come in through the garage......never know when I'm in my birfday suit! ;)

kylemoul

i visit my brothers house to do laundry, and we make sure we know who is coming over. he knows damn well i will be open carrying my firearm on his property, as the same reason i know damn well he has a loaded 9mm and 12G waiting for the unlucky soul. communication works best but it sounds like the unexpected happened here. glad you refrained from shooting and for your son to be vocal.

the unexpected can happen anywhere. you were prepared for it!