• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry permit in Missouri

bp231986

Hey guys im new to the forum and dint even know oc was an available option!! So now with the ?'s....Do you have to have some type of permit or can you just go and OC? Has anybody recently had any experience OCing in Columbia MO? Are there any rules to OC besides the common ones such as no go for bars schools, Govt buildings and so on?

Thanks!!

F350

I lived in Columbia for a couple years and open carried for a couple summers; including on Broadway downtown....

1} No permit needed to OC at the state level, and I never had any problems in Columbia.

2} Cities are allowed to ban OC so you have to know the city you are going to and check them out, Columbia is OC legal

3} a GREAT source for Missouri handgun information is http://www.missouricarry.com and a great bunch of guys to get to know

A} As you are in Columbia, DO NOT patronize "Target Masters" the owners and management (along with Todd Burke of Tactical Training Specialties), were behind a last minute, behind the scenes secret screwing up of the CCW qualification requirements last year (I use to work there and know the players).

B} If you do not have your Missouri CCW and plan to get it Tim Oliver at http://www.learntocarry.com would be my hands down choice (say hello to Tim and Scott from Bob).

C} If looking for a bank, Boone County State Bank is CCW/OC friendly.

wolfgangmob

Keep in mind, if you possess a Missouri CCW Permit you can walk in school zones (just not on the campus) under federal law. Also, always check the laws of where you are for OC bans and possible regulations, I believe one city requires it be visible from two angles at all times, otherwise legal.