Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California ex-congressman and felon wants to carry a gun

California ex-congressman and felon wants to carry a gun

California's ex-congressman Randy Cunningham is seeking the right to carry a gun after his anticipated release from federal prison this December.

Cunningham pleaded guilty in 2005 to taking $2.4 million in bribes from defense contractors in exchange for using his House appropriations position to steer government contracts to them.

As a felon, he's not allowed to carry a gun.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...est=latestnews
    Last edited by oldbanger; 05-27-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    As a felon, he's not allowed to carry a gun.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...est=latestnews
    Cunningham wrote that he plans to live ... in rural Arkansas after his prison release. He said he wants to restore his gun rights so he can hunt and compete in sport shooting contests. The judge replied that he had no power to help Cunningham.
    Darn. I was hoping that he was going to fight the good fight in California.

Perhaps he will find the joys of black-powder shooting, which slipped around the prohibition thanks to a loophole.

I do find it both annoying and amusing that the gentleman writes to a federal judge before he has been released (both from prison and from any subsequent post-incarceration supervision).

stay safrel.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Perhaps he will find the joys of black-powder shooting.

black powder guns can be so fun. not in a defense situation, but if your out shooting targets in the yard its worth taking a look at one. a friend of mine has a .50cal black powder gun and i had a blast shooting bottles with it.

Does anyone have any info on his votes on 2A related laws (Clinton AWB in particular)? Just curious.

I am typically of the mind that dangerous people should be incarcerated until they no longer pose a threat, or be executed. Once someone has served his sentence, he should be released as a free and full citizen.

In a free Republic, it is not healthy to have different classes of "free" citizens, permitted by the State to exercise their rights to varying degrees of fullness.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Same here, MIB. Was hoping to hear about some sort of movement he wanted to spearhead, but he's not even released from prison yet. What the fudge.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    I am typically of the mind that dangerous people should be incarcerated until they no longer pose a threat, or be executed. Once someone has served his sentence, he should be released as a free and full citizen.
    i will have to disagree. just to name a few what about rapist, child molesters, murderers (the ones who get out early since there not giving alot of time for murder anymore), reckless homicide, armed robbers, drug dealers?

i will have to say all of them dont deserve the right to own a firearm. you do the crime you do the time. also you do the crime you lose alot of your rights. thats the way it should be. and thats the way its going to be.

Nra a+

Randy "Duke" Cunningham received an A+ as the incumbent of District 50 in 2004. http://nrapvf.org/grades-archive/2004/California.aspx

I'm not sure I'd put much stock into the lobbyist ratings of a man convicted of taking bribes.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    ...what about rapist [sic], child molesters, murderers... reckless homicide, armed robbers, drug dealers?
    i [sic] will have to say all of them dont [sic] deserve the right to own a firearm. you do the crime you do the time. also you do the crime you lose alot [sic] of your rights. thats [sic] the way it should be. and thats [sic] the way its [sic] going to be.
    I'm with MIB. If someone is safe to be in society, they should be a citizen just like anyone else. They've done their time, gone through their punishment, that's why they're not locked up any more.
    If the person screws up again, they can go to prison again.
    And if they really want a gun, a law isn't going to stop them from getting one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    i will have to disagree. just to name a few what about rapist, child molesters, murderers (the ones who get out early since there not giving alot of time for murder anymore), reckless homicide, armed robbers, drug dealers?

i will have to say all of them dont deserve the right to own a firearm. you do the crime you do the time. also you do the crime you lose alot of your rights. thats the way it should be. and thats the way its going to be.
    actually he said , any crimes of violence should be locked up for life or executed
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    actually he said , any crimes of violence should be locked up for life or executed
    must have missed that part. i was just putting in my .02, by saying they shouldnt own guns exp. violent offenders. thats just asking them to rob your ass the first chance they get.

iv got a true story about one of my close friends i grew up with and still is a good friend of mine

his name kevin j lombard. of hartford wisconsin.

when we were about 15ish 3 of us were hanging around a apartment complex smoking cigs being the cool kids
    kevin and another friend decided to steal the running cop car that just answered a call to a apt. 2 of them get in the Hartford WI. cop car and a chase was started and quickly ended about 3-4 blocks down where they crashed the police car.

kevin gets a charge for theft of a vehicle and joyriding he gets sent to a boys prison until the age 18/ other kid gets sent to a "scare program for 1 week"

age 18 kevin gets out of the boys prison and we quickly meet up again for old times sake hes out of jail for 3 weeks kevin doesnt know much of the outside world anymore so he wants to go back to jail. so he steals another car, this time going on a high speed chase in milwaukee and crashing the car into a pole.

kevin gets out of prison at age 21. we meet up again just as we did the last time. this time i plead with him to stay out of jail. i told him id help him find work he accepts my offer and i get him a job we meet a few times after that to see if he can get a job at a tattoo shop. he declines the offer for the job and i dont hear from him for about a month

now i turn on the news to see my good friends face on tv for murder. kevin couldnt handle the world outside so he choked his 18? year old girlfriend to death. he now faces life in prison.

now that was one of my bestfriends my whole life i wrote him letters once a week until the murder charge.

here is a link to his last crime. http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/127638788.html

now ask yourself do you really want people committing non violent crimes to have a gun?

black powder guns can be so fun. not in a defense situation, but if your out shooting targets in the yard its worth taking a look at one....
    Harry Callahan would have been just as effective with a Ruger Old Army, the most powerful black powder revolver in the world, and would blow your head clean off....
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-28-2012 at 12:18 AM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Lightbulb

kevin and another friend decided to steal the running cop car that just answered a call to a apt. 2 of them get in the Hartford WI. cop car and a chase was started and quickly ended about 3-4 blocks down where they crashed the police car.

age 18 kevin gets out of the boys prison and we quickly meet up again for old times sake hes out of jail for 3 weeks kevin doesnt know much of the outside world anymore so he wants to go back to jail. so he steals another car, this time going on a high speed chase in milwaukee and crashing the car into a pole.

now i turn on the news to see my good friends face on tv for murder. kevin couldnt handle the world outside so he choked his 18? year old girlfriend to death. he now faces life in prison.

now that was one of my bestfriends my whole life i wrote him letters once a week until the murder charge.

here is a link to his last crime. http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/127638788.html

now ask yourself do you really want people committing non violent crimes to have a gun?
    1. Ummm...tell me more about how your ex-friend is a person who committed non-violent crimes...
    2. He is a clear and present threat to society, and as such, he should be incapacitated unless and until he is no longer a threat.
    3. He clearly has proven himself to not be trustworthy with automobiles, and I probably wouldn't want him handling power tools, either. Or, God forbid, a gun! That's right; in case you haven't heard, criminals, by definition, break the law. He is not going to worry about a silly rule against convicted felons carrying a firearm.
    4. If he is going to use a firearm to commit a felony crime of violence, do you really believe he will stop to consider the ramifications of the possession of that firearm?
    5. Etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    1. Ummm...tell me more about how your ex-friend is a person who committed non-violent crimes...
    2. He is a clear and present threat to society, and as such, he should be incapacitated unless and until he is no longer a threat.
    3. He clearly has proven himself to not be trustworthy with automobiles, and I probably wouldn't want him handling power tools, either. Or, God forbid, a gun! That's right; in case you haven't heard, criminals, by definition, break the law. He is not going to worry about a silly rule against convicted felons carrying a firearm.
    4. If he is going to use a firearm to commit a felony crime of violence, do you really believe he will stop to consider the ramifications of the possession of that firearm?
    5. Etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.
    his crimes was theft of automobiles. not violent in any way. he paid his debt by sitting his teenage and adult life behind bars.

the main point of this story was to show you guys that non violent offenders can quickly move up the charts. now iv used someone im close to as an example to show you what happens in real life. most offenders end up right back behind bars that is a FACT. now even though iv never seen this guy raise a fist at anyone and had a huge heart he ended up killing a young girl.

now if we send a message to felons saying "Hey you didnt do anything violent, so you can buy this gun" what do you think could happen? most of them end up back behind bars.

so now that non violent car jacker becomes a car jacker with a loaded gun in his lap. now if you stop him he knows hes going back do you think hes going to say eh im not going to use it. hell no hes going to pull that out so fast and empty his mag in YOU the law abiding citizen. now viola you just made him graduate crime school by becoming a murderer.

lets face facts here. if you have ever known anyone in a jail or prison alot of them when they get out they dont say "hey i was in prison" No they say "hey i just got out of "CON COLLAGE" now iv first hand had a few of my friends/family in prison and you have no idea what kind of dumb ass ideas these people come up with. weather its robbing a store or even heard this one "stealing cows"

these guys with guns in there hands would be a mistake.

i should also add he did not murder anyone before he was a felon. he did that after his 2nd trip to prison. before that he was a "non violent" felon. and upon his last relies he killed his own girlfriend

Newbie, your example proves more that our prisons are ineffective and need to be overhauled. If anything, it's more an argument for adopting one of those European jail systems, where prisoners get awesome living quarters.

The prison system is beyond screwed up. In there crimes are committed against people that is illegal to do to the enemy during war.

AFAIC once a person does their time and "off the paper" they should have all rights returned. They're still Americans. In today's society once a person is convicted means that it's ok to do anything to them you want. Is that right? No, far from it. They did the crime, they did the time, it's over, let them back into society instead of repeatedly punish them over and over.

If you're so scared of a criminal committing a crime, get a gun. If they do something to you, defend yourself.
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

A freed man getting ALL his rights back? Why not . If they don't , then they are not "free" .

Quote Originally Posted by Logan 5 View Post
    AFAIC once a person does their time and "off the paper" they should have all rights returned. They're still Americans. In today's society once a person is convicted means that it's ok to do anything to them you want. Is that right? No, far from it. They did the crime, they did the time, it's over, let them back into society instead of repeatedly punish them over and over.

If you're so scared of a criminal committing a crime, get a gun. If they do something to you, defend yourself.
    My thoughts 100% exactly!!!!!!!
    "My dedication to my country's flag rests on my ardent belief in this noblest of causes, equality for all. If my future rests under this earth rather than upon it, I fear not."

-Leopold Karpeles, US Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient

hey NEWBIE, the example you gave was an antidote to one person. there are hundreds of thousands of ex-con that never do anything wrong again for the rest of their lives.

it would be like saying since one gun owner, did something wrong with a gun. then NO ONE should every own a gun again

the choice is theirs to make. you can not do a "Majority Report" on people, you must let them commit the crime before you punish them.

this is actually how this nation did things for 170 years till the gun grabbers used this to grab guns. they said we will take away the criminals guns. so everyone thought that was good. then the guns used in crime.......till. well you know the rest of the story
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Herr Heckler Koch
    his name kevin j lombard. of hartford wisconsin....now that was one of my bestfriends my whole life i wrote him letters once a week until the murder charge. here is a link to his last crime. http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/127638788.html now ask yourself do you really want people committing non violent crimes to have a gun?
    That's quite a rap sheet but there's no murder charge on it.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    That's quite a rap sheet but there's no murder charge on it.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl

as of now he is pending trial. he is trying to barter it down to reckless homicide. witch as of now there is still no deal for that the DA still wants to press for murder. but he says it started out as a night of drinking at a hotel, witch led to a argument, witch then led to him getting on top of her and choking her until she was un responsive. he said he didnt think that would happen and since he called 911 on himself right away that it should not be murder. the DA and girls family so far is disagreeing.

now he is my friend but i dont think hes safe on the outside. and fully agree with him getting a murder charge.

he used to call me all the time and let me know what was happening with the case and i have not heard from him since the 3rd week after his arrest.

so....

Just need to ask . If a man is convicted of DUI , should he lose ANY of his rights for life ?

One of my workers , as well as a few friends falls into this category . For each one , that is the only criminal record they have . But now , because they are "felons" , they can no longer own firearms . Does that seem right ?

Each payed the societal price-- fines,loss of license,jail time . Isn't removal of any right after that , for life , excessive?

Article 8 :

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
    Would not the removal of a right be excessive?

Activist Member
    Newbie, it seems to me that your friend did not need a gun to kill somebody. Merely being out of prison and having his bare hands appeared to be all he needed.

You say that before he went to prison, he was not violent, and after prison he was so detached from the world that he wanted to go back in and now he was violent too. If indeed prison has warped him to not be able to live outside of it, and made him violent, then the prison system itself is not working properly. Prison ought to be about results, in my opinion, more than punishment. The goal of the prison system should be to reduce crime.

As for the carjacker example, chances are if he is a convict and used to selling illegal goods, he has a source for guns without buying them legally...
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 05-28-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast