• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California ex-congressman and felon wants to carry a gun

oldbanger

California's ex-congressman Randy :dude: Cunningham is seeking the right to carry a gun after his anticipated release from federal prison this December.

Cunningham pleaded guilty in 2005 to taking $2.4 million in bribes from defense contractors in exchange for using his House appropriations position to steer government contracts to them.

As a felon, he's not allowed to carry a gun.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/27/imprisoned-ex-congressman-cunningham-wants-gun-rights-restored-upon-release/?test=latestnews

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Cunningham wrote that he plans to live ... in rural Arkansas after his prison release. He said he wants to restore his gun rights so he can hunt and compete in sport shooting contests. The judge replied that he had no power to help Cunningham.
Darn. I was hoping that he was going to fight the good fight in California.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Perhaps he will find the joys of black-powder shooting, which slipped around the prohibition thanks to a loophole.

I do find it both annoying and amusing that the gentleman writes to a federal judge before he has been released (both from prison and from any subsequent post-incarceration supervision).

stay safrel.

Perhaps he will find the joys of black-powder shooting.

black powder guns can be so fun. not in a defense situation, but if your out shooting targets in the yard its worth taking a look at one. a friend of mine has a .50cal black powder gun and i had a blast shooting bottles with it.

ManInBlack

Does anyone have any info on his votes on 2A related laws (Clinton AWB in particular)? Just curious.

I am typically of the mind that dangerous people should be incarcerated until they no longer pose a threat, or be executed. Once someone has served his sentence, he should be released as a free and full citizen.

In a free Republic, it is not healthy to have different classes of "free" citizens, permitted by the State to exercise their rights to varying degrees of fullness.

Jack House

Same here, MIB. Was hoping to hear about some sort of movement he wanted to spearhead, but he's not even released from prison yet. What the fudge.

I am typically of the mind that dangerous people should be incarcerated until they no longer pose a threat, or be executed. Once someone has served his sentence, he should be released as a free and full citizen.

i will have to disagree. just to name a few what about rapist, child molesters, murderers (the ones who get out early since there not giving alot of time for murder anymore), reckless homicide, armed robbers, drug dealers?

i will have to say all of them dont deserve the right to own a firearm. you do the crime you do the time. also you do the crime you lose alot of your rights. thats the way it should be. and thats the way its going to be.

Jack House

I'm not sure I'd put much stock into the lobbyist ratings of a man convicted of taking bribes. :uhoh:

MKEgal

newbie said:
...what about rapist [sic], child molesters, murderers... reckless homicide, armed robbers, drug dealers?
i [sic] will have to say all of them dont [sic] deserve the right to own a firearm. you do the crime you do the time. also you do the crime you lose alot [sic] of your rights. thats [sic] the way it should be. and thats [sic] the way its [sic] going to be.
I'm with MIB. If someone is safe to be in society, they should be a citizen just like anyone else. They've done their time, gone through their punishment, that's why they're not locked up any more.
If the person screws up again, they can go to prison again.
And if they really want a gun, a law isn't going to stop them from getting one.

papa bear

i will have to disagree. just to name a few what about rapist, child molesters, murderers (the ones who get out early since there not giving alot of time for murder anymore), reckless homicide, armed robbers, drug dealers?

i will have to say all of them dont deserve the right to own a firearm. you do the crime you do the time. also you do the crime you lose alot of your rights. thats the way it should be. and thats the way its going to be.

actually he said , any crimes of violence should be locked up for life or executed

actually he said , any crimes of violence should be locked up for life or executed

must have missed that part. i was just putting in my .02, by saying they shouldnt own guns exp. violent offenders. thats just asking them to rob your ass the first chance they get.

iv got a true story about one of my close friends i grew up with and still is a good friend of mine

his name kevin j lombard. of hartford wisconsin.

when we were about 15ish 3 of us were hanging around a apartment complex smoking cigs being the cool kids
kevin and another friend decided to steal the running cop car that just answered a call to a apt. 2 of them get in the Hartford WI. cop car and a chase was started and quickly ended about 3-4 blocks down where they crashed the police car.

kevin gets a charge for theft of a vehicle and joyriding he gets sent to a boys prison until the age 18/ other kid gets sent to a "scare program for 1 week"

age 18 kevin gets out of the boys prison and we quickly meet up again for old times sake hes out of jail for 3 weeks kevin doesnt know much of the outside world anymore so he wants to go back to jail. so he steals another car, this time going on a high speed chase in milwaukee and crashing the car into a pole.

kevin gets out of prison at age 21. we meet up again just as we did the last time. this time i plead with him to stay out of jail. i told him id help him find work he accepts my offer and i get him a job we meet a few times after that to see if he can get a job at a tattoo shop. he declines the offer for the job and i dont hear from him for about a month

now i turn on the news to see my good friends face on tv for murder. kevin couldnt handle the world outside so he choked his 18? year old girlfriend to death. he now faces life in prison.

now that was one of my bestfriends my whole life i wrote him letters once a week until the murder charge.

here is a link to his last crime. http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/127638788.html

now ask yourself do you really want people committing non violent crimes to have a gun?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
black powder guns can be so fun. not in a defense situation, but if your out shooting targets in the yard its worth taking a look at one....

Harry Callahan would have been just as effective with a Ruger Old Army, the most powerful black powder revolver in the world, and would blow your head clean off....

Last edited:

ManInBlack

kevin and another friend decided to steal the running cop car that just answered a call to a apt. 2 of them get in the Hartford WI. cop car and a chase was started and quickly ended about 3-4 blocks down where they crashed the police car.

age 18 kevin gets out of the boys prison and we quickly meet up again for old times sake hes out of jail for 3 weeks kevin doesnt know much of the outside world anymore so he wants to go back to jail. so he steals another car, this time going on a high speed chase in milwaukee and crashing the car into a pole.

now i turn on the news to see my good friends face on tv for murder. kevin couldnt handle the world outside so he choked his 18? year old girlfriend to death. he now faces life in prison.

now that was one of my bestfriends my whole life i wrote him letters once a week until the murder charge.

here is a link to his last crime. http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/127638788.html

now ask yourself do you really want people committing non violent crimes to have a gun?

1. Ummm...tell me more about how your ex-friend is a person who committed non-violent crimes... :rolleyes:
2. He is a clear and present threat to society, and as such, he should be incapacitated unless and until he is no longer a threat.
3. He clearly has proven himself to not be trustworthy with automobiles, and I probably wouldn't want him handling power tools, either. Or, God forbid, a gun! That's right; in case you haven't heard, criminals, by definition, break the law. He is not going to worry about a silly rule against convicted felons carrying a firearm.
4. If he is going to use a firearm to commit a felony crime of violence, do you really believe he will stop to consider the ramifications of the possession of that firearm?
5. Etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.

1. Ummm...tell me more about how your ex-friend is a person who committed non-violent crimes... :rolleyes:
2. He is a clear and present threat to society, and as such, he should be incapacitated unless and until he is no longer a threat.
3. He clearly has proven himself to not be trustworthy with automobiles, and I probably wouldn't want him handling power tools, either. Or, God forbid, a gun! That's right; in case you haven't heard, criminals, by definition, break the law. He is not going to worry about a silly rule against convicted felons carrying a firearm.
4. If he is going to use a firearm to commit a felony crime of violence, do you really believe he will stop to consider the ramifications of the possession of that firearm?
5. Etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.

his crimes was theft of automobiles. not violent in any way. he paid his debt by sitting his teenage and adult life behind bars.

the main point of this story was to show you guys that non violent offenders can quickly move up the charts. now iv used someone im close to as an example to show you what happens in real life. most offenders end up right back behind bars that is a FACT. now even though iv never seen this guy raise a fist at anyone and had a huge heart he ended up killing a young girl.

now if we send a message to felons saying "Hey you didnt do anything violent, so you can buy this gun" what do you think could happen? most of them end up back behind bars.

so now that non violent car jacker becomes a car jacker with a loaded gun in his lap. now if you stop him he knows hes going back do you think hes going to say eh im not going to use it. hell no hes going to pull that out so fast and empty his mag in YOU the law abiding citizen. now viola you just made him graduate crime school by becoming a murderer.

lets face facts here. if you have ever known anyone in a jail or prison alot of them when they get out they dont say "hey i was in prison" No they say "hey i just got out of "CON COLLAGE" now iv first hand had a few of my friends/family in prison and you have no idea what kind of dumb ass ideas these people come up with. weather its robbing a store or even heard this one "stealing cows"

these guys with guns in there hands would be a mistake.

i should also add he did not murder anyone before he was a felon. he did that after his 2nd trip to prison. before that he was a "non violent" felon. and upon his last relies he killed his own girlfriend

Jack House

Newbie, your example proves more that our prisons are ineffective and need to be overhauled. If anything, it's more an argument for adopting one of those European jail systems, where prisoners get awesome living quarters.

Logan 5

The prison system is beyond screwed up. In there crimes are committed against people that is illegal to do to the enemy during war.

AFAIC once a person does their time and "off the paper" they should have all rights returned. They're still Americans. In today's society once a person is convicted means that it's ok to do anything to them you want. Is that right? No, far from it. They did the crime, they did the time, it's over, let them back into society instead of repeatedly punish them over and over.

If you're so scared of a criminal committing a crime, get a gun. If they do something to you, defend yourself.

XD4ME

A freed man getting ALL his rights back? Why not . If they don't , then they are not "free" .

MarlboroLts5150

AFAIC once a person does their time and "off the paper" they should have all rights returned. They're still Americans. In today's society once a person is convicted means that it's ok to do anything to them you want. Is that right? No, far from it. They did the crime, they did the time, it's over, let them back into society instead of repeatedly punish them over and over.

If you're so scared of a criminal committing a crime, get a gun. If they do something to you, defend yourself.

My thoughts 100% exactly!!!!!!!