Thread: My first Open Carry today

My first Open Carry today

Just got my CPL in the mail last week so today I finally went out and carried. I didn't have a holster yet so I went around to a few places and ended up getting an Uncle Mikes from the General Store. It was made for a G20/21 but fits my M&P .45 just right. Did that Saturday and carried around the house to get used to the feel of it. Then today my wife was going stir crazy so we went over to Franklin Park with the kids and let them play in the kids area there. Got a few looks and heard someone say something about a firearm when I was grabbing my son off one of the climbing deals. Not sure if it was a positive or negative comment. Then i saw the guy who I believe said it pull his phone out shortly after. Thought he might be making a MWAG call but no one showed up. Stayed there for about 45 minutes then went to Fred Meyer on Francis. Saw a few wide eyes but no comments. No issues at all really. Played some Disc Golf at downriver later, but had my gun in my bag so I didn't throw off my balance. This was a huge day for building my confidence about carrying. I think we have plans to go to Riverfront park tomorrow and I will definitely be carrying there.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-27-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: "adjusted" verbiage

Regular Member WinchesterModel12's Avatar
    Each time you OC, you will get more comfortable and not worry about or notice the random comments.
    If guns kill people......then all of mine are defective........ UNCLE TED

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterModel12 View Post
    Each time you OC, you will get more comfortable and not worry about or notice the random comments.
    I notice I hear them more and care less.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

good lord man... what were you thinking??? putting a S&W in a Glock holster....

Glad the day was uneventful and as you will see it gets easier each time out. Welcome to freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Gunr View Post
    <snip> Welcome to freedom.
    This is what it is all about.
    Live Free or Die!

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    This is what it is all about.
    +1 on that!

When I first started carrying a few years ago I thought everybody and their brother AND sister was looking at me and wondering about the gun. As I got accustomed to it I realized that 95% or better don't even see, much less care about it. Most people simply aren't observant of their surroundings.

Welcome to OCDO!
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

As was stated before the more you do it the easier it gets carry on!! Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by 1911er; 05-28-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Good job on OC'ing why wait until you got your CPL though?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    +1 on that!

When I first started carrying a few years ago I thought everybody and their brother AND sister was looking at me and wondering about the gun. As I got accustomed to it I realized that 95% or better don't even see, much less care about it. Most people simply aren't observant of their surroundings.

Welcome to OCDO!
    It is funny that you mention that.

I've had my shoulder holster out in the open and talking face to face with someone and then find out that they never noticed I was armed.

It's interesting to observe people around, situational awareness, and figure out who's noticed and who has not.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Ahhh... the sweet, sweet feeling of freedom. So liberating! Love that! Congratulations, and welcome!