• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first Open Carry today

alexm963

Just got my CPL in the mail last week so today I finally went out and carried. I didn't have a holster yet so I went around to a few places and ended up getting an Uncle Mikes from the General Store. It was made for a G20/21 but fits my M&P .45 just right. Did that Saturday and carried around the house to get used to the feel of it. Then today my wife was going stir crazy so we went over to Franklin Park with the kids and let them play in the kids area there. Got a few looks and heard someone say something about a firearm when I was grabbing my son off one of the climbing deals. Not sure if it was a positive or negative comment. Then i saw the guy who I believe said it pull his phone out shortly after. Thought he might be making a MWAG call but no one showed up. Stayed there for about 45 minutes then went to Fred Meyer on Francis. Saw a few wide eyes but no comments. No issues at all really. Played some Disc Golf at downriver later, but had my gun in my bag so I didn't throw off my balance. This was a huge day for building my confidence about carrying. I think we have plans to go to Riverfront park tomorrow and I will definitely be carrying there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
good lord man... what were you thinking??? putting a S&W in a Glock holster.... :shocker::eek::shocker:

Glad the day was uneventful and as you will see it gets easier each time out. Welcome to freedom.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
This is what it is all about.

+1 on that!

When I first started carrying a few years ago I thought everybody and their brother AND sister was looking at me and wondering about the gun. As I got accustomed to it I realized that 95% or better don't even see, much less care about it. Most people simply aren't observant of their surroundings.

Welcome to OCDO!

Freedom1Man

+1 on that!

When I first started carrying a few years ago I thought everybody and their brother AND sister was looking at me and wondering about the gun. As I got accustomed to it I realized that 95% or better don't even see, much less care about it. Most people simply aren't observant of their surroundings.

Welcome to OCDO!

It is funny that you mention that.

I've had my shoulder holster out in the open and talking face to face with someone and then find out that they never noticed I was armed.

It's interesting to observe people around, situational awareness, and figure out who's noticed and who has not.