• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger SR22 feedback

Sportdog7

Well been thinking about this SR22 because the cost of ammo for my 40 & 380 sure isn't getting any cheaper. The SR22 will allow me to keep up my form, before
I buy one I would like some idea of how its performed and what I can expect to pay for a gun like this one? Any issues with the guns function before I get real serious
about owning one. And before I buy are there any 22cal pistols I should consider?...Thanks

j4l

Been curious about this one as well. But, like with most new Ruger stuff, finding one in a store=snowballs'
chance in Hell. And when you do, -at least around here, anyway- expect it to be about $200+ above MSRP.
The one or two reviews I have read of it, havent been terribly good. But, I take those with a grain of salt- I want to see one for myself.
Either way, I have a hard time considering .22 pistols that cost as much-or nearly- as my .45. No matter who makes em, or how well they may be made.
One possible exception being that new Judge .22/.22MAG . Checked one of those out the other day, locally- very sweet- and you have the option of both rounds.

As for equating .22 practice, with whatever you normally carry-= to a point, maybe, but it doesnt simulate recoil/blast effects and eventual fatigue that you get with the real thing. I consider .22 practice it's own thing, and practice with the actual carry arms something entirely seprate.

Sportdog7

Your point is well taken about the 22 not having the same recoil and such, I just want to go shooting and not worry on how much I end up shooting.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I had just decided I was going to get one. Then I found out that the frame-mounted safety is down for safe and up for fire, the opposite of most frame-mounted safeties. I really do not like that design, even though nearly everything else I've read and heard about the SR22 is great.

As for .22's for practice, if you have a .22 conversion kit on your EDC gun, you can practice everything from the draw through the first shot with minimal difference.

SovereignAxe

I had just decided I was going to get one. Then I found out that the frame-mounted safety is down for safe and up for fire, the opposite of most frame-mounted safeties. I really do not like that design, even though nearly everything else I've read and heard about the SR22 is great.

As for .22's for practice, if you have a .22 conversion kit on your EDC gun, you can practice everything from the draw through the first shot with minimal difference.

That's awfully nitpicky. Are you ever actually going to use the safety? It's a plinking gun after all. I've found that I almost never activate the safety on my Ruger Mk I. It gets used more often to hold the bolt open than anything else.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's awfully nitpicky. Are you ever actually going to use the safety? It's a plinking gun after all. I've found that I almost never activate the safety on my Ruger Mk I. It gets used more often to hold the bolt open than anything else.

Nitpicky is your opinion and you are welcome to it.

Not liking the safety is my opinion, and I'm welcome to share it, especially when ASKED for my opinion.

For someone who daily carries a frame-mounted safety that operates the exact opposite direction of the SR22, it it more significant than it might otherwise be.

The fact remains that I liked everything I've heard about the gun, until I got to that. I'm very glad someone else took the time to put it in their review.

I didn't say to not get the gun because of it.

Butch00

It's a Ruger, I wouldn't hesitate buying it. I have had a lot of Rugers and
never had a problem with any of them. In fact I still have a lot or Rugers,
Rifles and Handguns.

j4l

It's a Ruger, I wouldn't hesitate buying it. I have had a lot of Rugers and
never had a problem with any of them. In fact I still have a lot or Rugers,
Rifles and Handguns.

Indeed, but being well-built doesnt always equate to being well-designed, does it? It's normally considered best practice, to use a device that operates the same way as an normal-use device,no?

As for safeties on "plinking guns" vs. carry guns- are you suggesting one should negate normal safety practices, just because it's a "less-powerful" gun?
Train like you fight, and fight like you train. Would it not be a bad habbit to begin eschewing routine gun-handling safety,just because you are plinking with it?