• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memorial Day Blessings to the fallen, to those on Eternal Patrol

H

Herr Heckler Koch

"When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one Talent which is death to hide
Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest He returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts. Who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly: thousands at his bidding speed,
And post o'er land and ocean without rest;
They also serve who only stand and wait." (On His Blindness, John Milton 1652)

Today I will walk in the Memorial Day Parade, likely at the head of the procession, in the Color Guard armed with a flag or an M1. We haven't had any members' or indeed any military funerals for some time now, but the older fellows are doing good just to walk the half-mile the the cemetery. It is my preference to walk behind the older veterans so as to offer an arm or catch their stumble on our rough unpaved road.

Jake will read the two hundred plus names of our fallen sons once more, each time we have to remember that he's well into his Eighties.

Leo will play the Taps machine, our last bugler is gone. The pipers will pipe. Reverend Bass will hold forth again. The Boy Scouts will float a Wreath on Lake Michigan.

"There are no atheists in foxholes." (Father William Thomas Cummings, Field Sermon on Bataan, 1942)

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
God bless our fallen men and women who gave their all for our country, our freedoms, our way of life.

Freedom isn't free....we pay for it in blood and lost lives.