• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the basis for open cary?

Logan 5

Many people claim it's the Second Amendment. Ok, that's fine. I firmly support the Second Amendment. But....

I know- "but". And I've already noticed a good number of you have a hard time with "but". That is something you need to get over.

Like the right of property owners. I've noticed a number of the Open carry supporters ALSO support ignoring the preferences and rights of property owners. Open carrying on private property against the wishes of the property owners.

So explain to me how you can justify you right to keep and bear arms when you refuse to honor the rights of property owners. This includes commercial property as well.
Perhaps you miss this part, or perhaps you simply do not care. But how can you have more right to safety on your property when you openly endorse other property owners not having the same rights?

You do realize that in today's technology not only do you, supporters of Open Carry have access to this forum, but so does the Brady Bunch....?
So when you talk about how you don't care about property owner's preferences and wishes and you STILL open carry on private property....
They see that.

And it adds more fuel to their fire.

You do realize that, right?

So explain to me how you can justify any kind of carry, open or concealed, when the property owner, no matter if it's residential or commercial, says not to.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
On the contrary, I find that MOST OC-ers are proactive in telling such businesses why we do not patronize their stores.

It is those carrying concealed that seem to do more of the purposeful ignoring of the wishes of private property owners, would you not agree?

carsontech

Activist Member
Like the right of property owners. I've noticed a number of the Open carry supporters ALSO support ignoring the preferences and rights of property owners. Open carrying on private property against the wishes of the property owners.

Do you care to cite the posts you read where people are not leaving private property when told? I don't see any posts where anyone was charged with trespassing, so I doubt anyone here has refused to leave once a person in charge private property told them they're not welcome.

Logan 5

Yes, there have been several such posts. As for CC, it doesn't matter. If there is a sign saying no weapons, then honor it.
I'll dig up those posts and put their links here.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Yes, there have been several such posts. As for CC, it doesn't matter. If there is a sign saying no weapons, then honor it.

You may find one here and there on some sites. I read through one not long ago where one of the posters was adamant that his right to self defense exceeded anyone's private property rights. But I would wager that the vast majority of people who carry openly or concealed do honor the wishes of private property owners and do as they say. After all many, if not most, of us are also private property owners and we have certain rules and requirements with our property as would others.

TruxLupus

I will leave property when asked to because it is the law and I will respect that. (And because I don't want to go to jail!!!) And I will not come back later CCing either, or just CC if I see a sign.

However, I believe that when you decide to open your doors to the public for business, you *shouldn't* be able to deny entry to someone based on such purely arbitrary grounds as their second amendment rights. I see it as similar (although much lesser in gravity) to denying entry to someone because they are black, or Catholic, in a wheelchair, denying someone a house because they have kids, etc. I've chosen perfectly legal and constitutionally protected means for self defense, and I pose no threat (yes, I realize you don't choose to be disabled or choose your skin color, it's just an example). Should I also be denied entry if I, hypothetically, was a grandmaster in three different forms of martial arts? That's also a legal means of self defense, but I can't "disarm" myself of that without a lobotomy and/or amputation.

"Private" private property, on the other hand (i.e., not a place that is open to the general public) is a completely different story. The hitch point here is if you've chosen to allow the general public onto your property or not.

Just my opinion. I know that isn't ever going to change, so I will just continue not to provide business who do not support my second amendment rights with my business. I do, and will continue to, honor private property rights above my second amendment rights despite my personal opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
While I agree with the OP that everyone should honor private property owner's rights, after looking into some previous discussions the OP was in, it appears this thread might have been created on an emotional basis.

I see where this thread is going, it seems like a continuation of countless other threads.

SovereignAxe

You may find a few users who will ignore property rights, but the general consensus that I've seen among this forum is that we will respect the rights of property owners by not patronizing their establishment.

Nobody wants to give money to those that don't respect the 2nd amendment, so most of us don't carry in those places. Those that do you will find to be few an far between.

wmodavis

A bit off topic but I think the OP gives a lot more credit to the "Brady bunch" than they deserve.
I suggest you read "Shooting the Bull" by Guy Smith to get insight as to what makes them tick and why what is said here would not affect their actions. Here is one small exerpt:

"On the subject of gun control nary a truth can be found emanating from her (Sarah Brady's) lips. Her web site fumes statistical irregularities than cannot be explained by sloppiness or stupidity. Sarah’s newspaper interviews echo grander, borrowed falsehoods. The organization that bears her name, the Brady Campaign, is a veritable misinformation factory employing a full set of machinery for minting political falsehood. Well, almost the full set. We have yet to see them produce a doctored photograph of Ted Nugent pumping a few rounds into Chuck Schumer. Why then does Sarah Brady and nearly everyone else campaigning for gun control lie? For the same reason that men lie to their wives about matrimonial infidelity and politicians lie about … well, everything. She is possessed with the same motivation as a jewel thief who lies to the police as they drag him away from a mansion. Sarah lies for the same reason as a street-corner drug dealer who slips crack junkies a homebrew of candle wax and baking soda, or as Michael Moore does when claiming not to eat children whole. Sarah lies in order to gain something she could not otherwise acquire honestly. Sarah and her cohorts fib to achieve political ends for which they have fading public support and finance. Sarah and her minions propagate propaganda to take from you what the law says they cannot take. Call it the “do-gooder” syndrome, a disease in which blind fixation on correcting a perceived social ill makes rampant dishonesty a permissible tool. This Holy Cause – or Unholy Curse – that permits telling lies in order to change the world is easily observed and difficult to swallow. Not even the famous Stomach from Flint could manage to ingest it all. Sarah is my proxy for everyone in the gun control industry who has bent a statistic, knowingly cited flawed studies or denied demonstrable fact. She is the gentle face that masks flagrant falsehoods spun by the Dianne Feinsteins and Josh Sugarmanns of the world. Sarah uses her grandmotherly façade as a distraction from the impassioned and equally fictitious rhetoric of Rebecca Peters, the Stalin-cast mistress of global gun control. Mrs. Brady is the lovable decoy for Clintonesque proclamations that “we don’t want to ban guns.”

Smith, Guy (2011-04-19). Shooting The Bull . Free Thinkers Media. Kindle Edition.

And I do agree that whether or not you carry, or how you choose to carry should not affect having a rational view of respect of personal property. And Mrs. Brady has little that affects my view of any of those.

P.S. I recommend the book to all. It is a good read!

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher
In situations where the private property is a business and they invite the general public their "rights" as the private property owners should be taken into consideration but not necessarily trump others. An example of this would be placing a sign refusing entry based on religious beliefs.

Businesses that set a prohibitory policy against carry should be allowed to do so, but enforcement should be under the civil law and not criminal. If I exhibit a pattern of violating the "ban" then take me to court and have be permanently banished from your property. Only then should it be a criminal matter if I return. We have become a lazy society expecting the police to solve all our petty problems. Why there ought to be a law!

XD4ME

I think the argument boils down to personal property rights vs commercial property rights . The difference is that a person ( individual) that owns property for self has every right in excluding who and what enters .

Commercial ( for profit) owners of property open their doors to the public in order to make a profit . They invite the public in . Should they not be held to the laws ? If it is not illegal , then what right do they have to refuse entry of a "public" institution? Is that not discrimination?

Now , if it is a members type of store ( BJs , Sams club, etc) then you are agreeing beforehand to the rules they set in place in order to enter .

"the more an owner, for his advantage, opens up his property for use by the public in general, the more do his rights become circumscribed by the statutory and constitutional rights of those who use it."
Marsh v. Alabama

That seems reasonable .

Now , a few other things get thrown into the mix . If a company opens their business up to buying stocks , have they not become "public" , rather than private? If my taxes are increased in order for a business to get an exemption so they will build a store , does it seem right to prevent me from entering , legally by state /fed laws , after providing them such breaks?

Granted , the constitution is there to prevent abuses by government , not private individuals. But , if gov takes an active role outside of just collecting taxes , does that mean I now have a vested part of that "private property"?

"Government is instituted to protect property of every sort; as well that which lies in the various rights of individuals, as that which the term particularly expresses. This being the end of government, that alone is a just government which impartially secures to every man whatever is his own."
James Madison

Sadly , like most rights , I think property rights have been bastardized and changed from the original meanings put forth in the ultimate law of the land . Businesses are no longer owned by individuals , but instead by corporations , who the court has deemed "people" .

Just as an aside , it would be interesting to see what would happen if a shareholder etc were to be asked to leave a store . Or for that matter , an individual with a letter from a shareholder stating they are fine with OC, etc etc .

Beau

I've found that a lot of places have a "No Guns" sign up just because. They don't actually care if you carry. Those that do care will ask you to leave. If asked to leave you do so and decide if you give them any more of your business or not.

hjmoosejaw

I think there are some very good replies to this thread! Particularly #6 and #11. While I believe respecting the property owners wishes are to be adhered to, and if I am asked to leave, I will, "BUT", after reading some of these posts, I am really looking at the issue in a whole new light. Why should we be discriminated against for practicing a perfectly legal activity? Should an LEO have to leave his gun outside if he stops at a store on his way home? I could see if the wearing of the weapon really disrupted the place. Trumpet playing is a legal activity, but I could see where people wouldn't want to be there, with a trumpet sounding. ( or heaven forbid, rap music ). Nothing against a trumpet, but it could be disruptive. I have never walked into a place and had the carrying of my sidearm disrupt anything. Never a person tugging on the arm of the manager while pointing at me. Never seen anybody running out screaming. No disruption,whatsoever! Do any of the OCers here have any stories of any major interruptions they have caused while OCing into a place? Just curious.

MyWifeSaidYes

Logan 5, you are missing one very basic concept of desiring to be armed, whether open or concealed.

Self-defense.

If there is a store which has something I need and I can not reasonably get elsewhere (due to time, distance, etc.), I will go there. If that store does not allow guns, then I may choose to disarm.

If I do and get killed because of it, I would just feel silly! :banana:

IF, however, I choose to enter such a business while carrying concealed, I would be commiting a crime or civil violation. I would also have the ability to defend myself, if needed. I would not display my gun, on purpose, unless needed. The store wouldn't know. The sheep in the store wouldn't know. I wouldn't tell.

This is the reason there is 'pushback' against no guns policies at private businesses. Being robbed is not a hazardous condition they have to protect you from. Even if it was, what's the outcome if they don't do a good job?

If I fail to protect myself, I have only myself to blame.

XD4ME

Ok , here is a question.

You enter a store within a mall while you OC. You are asked to leave because of that . But, the mall has no rule against OC . Do you need to leave? The store is a renter , not an owner , so do they have "property rights"?

Take that one step further . WalMart stores are generally NOT owned by Walmart . They are owned by a real estate company and rented to them . Do THEY (Walmart) have private property rights?

I do know if an apartment renter calls the police because someone will not get off of the property their building is on , the police call the owner of the building . (here in Maine anyway, from what I have seen) . The owner , not the renter , has the private property rights . Although , the renter is secure in their domain that they rent for habitation . But they are not "open to the public" .

I think private property rights have been extended beyond what they were meant to do , at the detriment to others and their own individual rights .

Logan 5

In a thread here at OpenCarry.org that is the very subject - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...res-and-shops-with-quot-No-Weapons-quot-signs
Some people feel they're right to OC or CC trumps the rights of the property owner. Well, let's see here. I think my right to get some poontang prevails over your wife's right to retain her privacy. Would that justify me ignoring her wishes and demands? Yes, very extreme. But accurate.
Just as no man has any right to remove your wife's privacy against her will in such a manner, neither can anyone OC or CC on property that is listed as "no weapons".

And likewise, the idicoy and carelessness of a few numbskulls is going to come back and bite the entire community.

XD4ME

Interesting analogy Logan ....... and completely off base . Associating rape with OC is specious at best .

Lthrnck

There is no greater right....

There is NO GREATER RIGHT.. then the RIGHT TO SELF DEFENSE.

This right TRUMPS... all other rights, hands down, without a doubt.

BECAUSE.... if we can't defend ourselves and be able to protect all the other rights, they won't matter.

We have to be here to do that... if we can't defend ourselves... There will be no one left to protect them...

Now how you go about that is your .....CHOICE....!!!

Some will agree with you some won't.

But this crap about person property rights being as important as my right to self defense is bull pucky.

Last edited:

OC for ME

This should clear up any confusion for the wording of the perfect "No Weapons Allowed' sign?
ATTENTION: NO WEAPONS ALLOWED

Prior notice for trespassing.

Your right to defend yourself stops at my property line unless I give you permission to be able to defend yourself. You don't like this rule go some place else. You get caught with a weapon on my property, by violating the 'NO WEAPONS ALLOWED' rule on my private property, you will be charged with trespass and any other crime I can get LE to charge you with.

So....respect the sign on 'private property'.