• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The art of telling it like it isn't

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/socie...f-telling-it-like-it-isnt-20120526-1zbir.html

Kate Burridge said:
[ ... ]No matter what population group you look at, past or present, you'll find them. In classical times, nasty verbs such as die and kill were avoided. Instead, people curled up, they went to sleep or on a journey - or they were described as having lived. Nineteenth-century moral code prevented those in polite society from uttering words such as legs, trousers and underclothing. In their place were invisible words such as inexpressibles and unmentionables (you might compare the smalls and foundation garments of last century). Another invisible word in Victorian times was the monosyllable - these days it's the C-word. Many people associate euphemisms with deliberately befuddling language, weasel words and puffery - the sort of doublespeak that turns the loss of human life into collateral damage, and lies into terminological inexactitudes. However, the underlying motives are not always malign. Besides, there will be times when upfront language isn't appropriate. Say you have the inner urge to swear, but it's not the right moment for a full-blown obscenity. Euphemism provides the ''out'' in the form of remodellings such as ''Sugar!'' or ''Shucks!''
[ ... ]
Professor Kate Burridge occupies the chair of linguistics in the school of languages, cultures and linguistics at Monash University. She was a speaker at the TEDx conference in Sydney yesterday.
And then, of course, there is rank political correct speech.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Can we have a contest to see who knows the most euthemisims for ___? Can we? Can we? Heck, we could even keep it limited to firearms stuff. Can we? Can we? [/jumping up & down like a Chihuahua on speed]

stay safe.

DrakeZ07

Sometimes when I wish to swear in referance to someone standing before me, in a place where swearing wouldn't be so fond, especially while OC'ing, I'll just say "Bless your lil heart", which I've come to known from others in my neck of the words, to be one of those termological swear thingies, and insult, xD.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not so much a substitute for the good words as it is a comment on the characteristics of the person whose heart is being blessed.

Wish I could remember which Kipling short story it was in which the Seargant Major (or was it the Drum Sargeant?) expressed his displeasure. Reportedly (by one of those on the receiving end) went on for half an hour without ever repeating himself or uttering one blasphemy. Now there was a man with a vocabulary!

stay safe.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

My Navy boot company (NRTC San Diego, 1969) put ourselves through bootcamp (Bill Murray's Stripes?) without much attention from our BMCM CC. His wife died about the time he picked us up and he crawled into a bottle. He could swear in rhyme and meter for most of a minute without hesitation or repetition! He was a dear old soul that didn't much outlast her - a la Memorial Day and John Milton's "they also serve who stand and wait."

The first observation I would make about this article is that there are three 'swearings', obscenity, profanity and vulgarity, and the failure to appreciate the differences among them has allowed debasement of our language. The Bible prohibits the profane vain use of the Name. Culture demands avoidance of obscenity and vulgar language is just that, common (the words are synonymous from different linguistic roots - vulgar Latin, common French and Greek demotic).