• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun safety tables at Seattle police open house picnics.

jsanchez

Since Mayor McGinn dosen't like open carry, because we quote " scare the public and the police." I was wonder if there is any interest in doing a gun safety table at the Seattle police open house picnics. There are I think 6 precincts. The best ones to do to talk to the most people would be East Precinct, North Precinct, and South Precinct. My favorite is Harbor Patrol, down by Gas Works park, nice setting but not alot of people. They usually do the picnics on different days, but I've heard a rumor that this year they are going to do them all on the same day. Great thing about it, is the police dept. feeds us! Hot dogs, chips, drinks, fruit, ice cream, good eats! Would this be something anyone would be interested in doing?

Schlepnier

jsanchez
you have the law enforcement background and i know you have already had your run-in with ignorance up in the SPD. i think it is a great idea, i am a bit to far south to be running to seattle but we do have a good set of people in the area that do a fine job inforimng the public.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
We were discussing a similar idea last sunday at the Whatcom County Starbucks meet. There will be a "Second Annual Bloedel Donovan OCDO Picnic in July (Bastille Day). The plan is to conduct a weapons safety class once an hour during the picnic to anyone who wishes to listen. This (imho) is an extremely positive way to "take it to the people". By doing it in seattle with LEO support, it could be even more positive.

rapgood

Since Mayor McGinn dosen't like open carry, because we quote " scare the public and the police." I was wonder if there is any interest in doing a gun safety table at the Seattle police open house picnics. There are I think 6 precincts. The best ones to do to talk to the most people would be East Precinct, North Precinct, and South Precinct. My favorite is Harbor Patrol, down by Gas Works park, nice setting but not alot of people. They usually do the picnics on different days, but I've heard a rumor that this year they are going to do them all on the same day. Great thing about it, is the police dept. feeds us! Hot dogs, chips, drinks, fruit, ice cream, good eats! Would this be something anyone would be interested in doing?

Date? Time? Place?

07Altima

I would love to take part

Seattle is not to far away, and by Aug, things should be rock solid in my life. I am ready to be there, and take part 100% I am open to listen, and be apart of the group. I want to know if we should OC though. I look forward to taking part. I may even get my wife to go with.

rapgood

Seattle is not to far away, and by Aug, things should be rock solid in my life. I am ready to be there, and take part 100% I am open to listen, and be apart of the group. I want to know if we should OC though. I look forward to taking part. I may even get my wife to go with.

Oh, yes. Definitely OC.

07Altima

Hoping this will give us a good rep with the city police :)

I really am optimistic about this hoping it gives us good PR :)

jsanchez

So what should we have on our tables?

I think we should of course have the open carry flier, and some coloring books and stuff for the kids, I was thinking Eddy the Eagle stuff from the NRA. I don't know if we have to supply the table and canopy like the other tables had, or if the dept. supplies it. I will find out. Maybe some pictures of a revolver and semi auto handgun, so we can explain the differeces and how they work. It would be nice to have some push button lock boxes to show people how to store a loaded gun in the home. It would be nice to have information about local gun instructor and ladies nite at Wade's. What else guys...?

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Personally I think that's enough information. Don't want to overwhelm them. Too much stuff might just be viewed as clutter and turn people away thinking that you're just a "gun nut." I think you should keep it simple and to the point.

Now if you had the resources for multiple tables I'd say spread out and have as much as you can.

07Altima

perhaps

Maybe a couple gun locks, trigger locks for the pistol's, and I can bring my Weatherby breach lock. I would like to take a few pics of my firearm so that I can demo the Taurus safety system. Stickers or Balloons are a great thing as well. more than willing to bring a few pictures of my shotgun, and pistol numbers blocked out of course ;) but bring pics of them. I may see about laminating them so they can be used several times over, the more we can recycle for the next year the better
I would like to see something maybe about safety in terms of night encounters as that is the most dangerous situation one can be in, it has been shown that more safety accidents occur in the middle of the night. I think we have all heard the horror stories of the man who accidentally shoots his wife while investigating a noise down stairs. I think that addressing this may be a good thing just get some stuff out there about how one can handle a night time investigation safely.

Trigger Dr

07Altima;1764891 I would like to see something maybe about safety in terms of night encounters as that is the most dangerous situation one can be in said:
This could be good as long as one does not get into the use of tactics. That could be misconstrued as an aggressive rather than defensive or safety issue.
Focus on the safety issue and pass out the OCDO flyer. Recommend the FREE NRA home safety class put on by WAC for the rest of it. YEAH,YEAH, YEAH, I know you would not go to WAC even for a free class that is open to NON members.

07Altima

yeah I agree

The safety side of it was more the focus on my statement, such as make sure you can give yourself good lighting, ensure some one is going to be able to have 911 on the line if it turns out to be a home invasion. make sure you have areas of ingress egress well lit to help dissuade some one from trying to enter your home in the middle of the night, never assume that the sounds are hostile, unless you hear some one kicking down your door, or breaking out a window. it appears that many sad accidents have occurred because of poor trigger control, having been frightened to the point of grabbing your firearm for self defense one should not have their finger automatically on the trigger this has resulted in needless injury, and death. I know there are good ways to address this issue. I hope that we can come up with some good stuff. :) The more proactive we are as a group the more accepted we will be as individuals within the circles that disagree with us.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Project Childsafe will give you all the locks you want BUT you have to get them from your local police department as they won't give them to anyone else in bulk.