• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michelle Obama Sponsors a female Submarine, the USS Illinois. Why are subs tapered?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It may not be disarmed, but it better have a current FOID, and those missle & torpedo tubes better not be concealed.

stay safe.

DrakeZ07

Looks like it'll be a Hunter-Killer. Bleh, SSN's are boring.

Off topic, We need to bring Battleships back. It's not all that fun to have a sub named after one's state, if 99% of the time it's hidden under water, though having a boomer named after your state -is- fun. Haha! another reason Kentucky owns Illinois, other than gun freedoms; USS Kentucky, SSBN-737 24 × Trident II D-5 ballistic missiles, beat that Illinois :3

Griz

As a former Submarine Sailor (fast-attack... thank you) I am so very ill on so very many levels : (

No problem with all women crew, boats should not be co-ed anyway, but Michelle... Illinois...

H

Herr Heckler Koch

As a former Submarine Sailor (fast-attack... thank you) I am so very ill on so very many levels : (No problem with all women crew, boats should not be co-ed anyway, but Michelle... Illinois...
Where did the (female) nukes get the sea time to be qualified engineroom supervisory stations - critical underweigh operation? Or will it be wo-manned by prototype commandos or, maybe worse, from surfaced targets?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This is not an all-female crew. It is the boat with the first female submariners. As such, I doubt they are yet the ones in positions requiring the experience they don't yet have.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

"Michelle Obama sponsors first-ever ALL-FEMALE nuclear submarine"... DailyMail.co.uk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arine-named-home-state-Illinois.html?ITO=1490
Snejana Farberov said:
First Lady Michelle Obama has agreed to sponsor a future submarine named after her home state that will be staffed by an all-female crew.
My previous comments on squidettes acquiring sea-time were entirely ironic. I worked with squadrons that were struggling with the conflicts of finding sea billets for advancement of their female personnel but that were objectives and rewards earned by crewmen at sea. Don't make the error of thinking one must be at sea to earn sea-time.

Submarine Squadron Eighteen assigned my PreOverhaul Test Program a nuclear qualified female for her relief from the tension of being in a sea billet ashore. Her senior NCO's and JO's did not make it easy for her. She did a good job for me. The Squadron Engineer got a good letter from my office thanking him for his assisting personnel.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

OK a submarine with a all female crew confined in small quarters with pmsing at any given time. Maybe name it the USS Midol...

Considering this is Michelle's idea will this be a wide body sub?

twoskinsonemanns

This one of the dumbest things ever. This type thinking shows our own stupidity as a nation. Instead of looking for the best people to do a job, regardless of race,sex,etc, etc... We want to make history.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
From the first link on this thread:
UPDATE: This post has been updated to reflect the fact that there are no plans to make the USS Illinois an all female submarine.

Someone made an assumption somewhere and ran with it. Looks like not all the stories have been corrected.

Last edited:

Lurchiron

OK a submarine with a all female crew confined in small quarters with pmsing at any given time. Maybe name it the USS Midol...

Considering this is Michelle's idea will this be a wide body sub?

Dah...so they don't fill up with sand when you "dry-dock" them...