• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memorial Day Route 9 in central Connecticut University police open carry detainment

KIX

I am sure this is not the case. This is not a revocable offense in any way, shape or form.

Yes, but that hasn't stopped them before. Remember the day you were with me at the BFPE, one citizen had his permit yanked for having an unregistered firearm. A firearm that goes back pre-1996 registration requirements. He wasn't legally required to register, yet firearm and license were pulled.

He got it back, but still......
Jonathan

davidmcbeth

Banned
Do you have an example case where a permit was revoked for the infraction of not carrying a permit?

That's a tall order Rich ... the Board does not issue written rulings so that one can understand why a revocation occurred ... so to find a case if not immediately recalled would require listening to all the audio transcripts, an almost impossible task.

But hey, if the OP writes back we'll know in his specific instance. Given that many revocations are not appropriate (because people who still have their gun rights for ownership should still have a permit ~ suitability should now be seen as a non-issue) nothing the PDs do would surprise me.

Rich B

But hey, if the OP writes back we'll know in his specific instance. Given that many revocations are not appropriate (because people who still have their gun rights for ownership should still have a permit ~ suitability should now be seen as a non-issue) nothing the PDs do would surprise me.

Again, we already know that the OP's permit was not revoked. There is no speculation involved.

The OP has not had his day in court. Posting information about his case in public should not be encouraged.

KIX

Do you have an example case where a permit was revoked for the infraction of not carrying a permit?

Dozens, probably hundreds if I took the time to look at all my case notes.

I've posted this BFPE statement before on open carrying and breach of peace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9geV7WMxPw&feature=plcp

In the case of him open carrying on his property, his permit was revoked. Was eventually returned to him at hearing. But yeah, it has happened PLENTY and will happen again.

Jonathan

davidmcbeth

Banned
Don't waste your time with a FOIA request for the above items ... you will get none of them ... via a FOIA request in this state.

See 1-210(b)...

And the OP should stop posting on a public forum .. enough info is here to ID him...

Oh, wait, I just read an FIC case hearing officer report FIC 2011-371 .. cites Chief of Police, Hartford v. Freedom of Information Commission et al, 252 Conn. 277 (2000) ... says that FOIA is distinct from discovery ..

Very confusing .. as I have read several Supreme Ct rulings that appear to conflict .. but the FIC seems to say now that under the case cited, that documents must be revealed under FOIA

Rich B

Dozens, probably hundreds if I took the time to look at all my case notes.

I've posted this BFPE statement before on open carrying and breach of peace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9geV7WMxPw&feature=plcp

In the case of him open carrying on his property, his permit was revoked. Was eventually returned to him at hearing. But yeah, it has happened PLENTY and will happen again.

Jonathan

But you don't cite a case where an infraction (specifically carrying without a permit) resulted in revocation. If there exist 'dozens, probably hundred', where are they all?

Rich B

Oh, wait, I just read an FIC case hearing officer report FIC 2011-371 .. cites Chief of Police, Hartford v. Freedom of Information Commission et al, 252 Conn. 277 (2000) ... says that FOIA is distinct from discovery ..

Very confusing .. as I have read several Supreme Ct rulings that appear to conflict .. but the FIC seems to say now that under the case cited, that documents must be revealed under FOIA

I am not sure why this is an issue at all since we are already in possession of everything requested via FOI.

Spending out time worrying about whether we may have to fight for documents or not is not productive. When in doubt, request the documents and get moving.

For reference, I have never experienced a problem with FOI requests on cases that have yet to go to court.

KIX

Apologies.... I misread.

I didn't catch the "without permit" part..... just small infractions........

Jonathan