• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Road trip

Wbinsk

On my way to Texas to a wedding from Mo. I see that the law has been changed for open carry but doesn't take effect till Nov. How about carry in your vehicle both open or concealed?

hrdware

On my way to Texas to a wedding from Mo. I see that the law has been changed for open carry but doesn't take effect till Nov. How about carry in your vehicle both open or concealed?

If you have a MO concealed carry permit, then you can continue to carry concealed in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma does not have an open carry in car provision. In your car, your firearm would have to be unloaded, unless of course you have a MO concealed carry permit.

Oklahoma is also a shall notify state, so you are required to notify an officer if you are carrying a concealed weapon upon first contact of any arrest, detainment or routine traffic stop. Best to notify if you have any interaction as there have been reports of some officers not appreciating not being notified even though it wasn't a routine traffic stop, detainment, or arrest.

Here is the law as it relates to transportation of a firearm.

Title 21 Section 1289.7 said:
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle

Wbinsk

Me and my wife just took our MO. concealed carry course but haven't had the money to get the licences together. This road trip sprung up last minute and we don't go anywhere without our pistols. Thanks for the info cleared up what I needed to know.