• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Red Rock Canyon

A.M.D.

Does anyone know if you can OC a loaded firearm at Red Rock Canyon?
The Visitor Center and BLM said OC'ing a loaded firearm is illegal.
They said you can OC an unloaded firearm, but carrying unloaded makes no sense to me.
Who would be stupid enough to carry an unloaded firearm?
I felt they were not telling me the truth.
Does anybody know?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
They were correct. They are administered by the BLM, and were not a part of the law the converted National Parks to state laws. It was an oversight that still allows the BLM to enforce that rule.

Frantic84

Just a reminder in the few sections of Nevada law defining loaded it states loaded as a round in the chamber.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Just a reminder in the few sections of Nevada law defining loaded it states loaded as a round in the chamber.

And I think, think, that under this code that is federal that loaded meant ammo in the gun at all, Meaning a unchambered round in the mag is loaded. I think that is in the special rules for red rock, I will check again. And red rock down here south is a fed area. I think the north folks have a state red rock?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Yep. in this case, you have to use the BLM's definition of unloaded. If you ask Red Rock, they say no ammunition in the weapon.

A.M.D.

But that is so stupid and ridiculous!
Carrying unloaded makes no sense.
How is an unloaded firearm going to protect me and my family?

I mean, everyone knows you are supposed to carry loaded.
Common sense tells you a gun is supposed to be loaded, if it is not then it is worthless; making you basically defenseless.

Frantic84

Common sense tells you a gun is supposed to be loaded, if it is not then it is worthless; making you basically defenseless.

Boomerang / club?:banghead:

Last edited:

yegg57

"Loaded" is in the eye of the beholder....

And I think, think, that under this code that is federal that loaded meant ammo in the gun at all, Meaning a unchambered round in the mag is loaded. I think that is in the special rules for red rock, I will check again. And red rock down here south is a fed area. I think the north folks have a state red rock?

I'm not a lawyer and therefore cannot give legal advice.

My understanding of California law is that if you have a gun within your reach and ammunition separately within your reach, said gun is considered under California law to be loaded.

My >>other<< understanding of California law is that since it fires a projectile, a TASER is a firearm.

For what my "non-lawyer" opinion / knowledge is worth...

Have a BLESSED DAY!
Charley

yegg57

unloaded vs. loaded....

AGAIN, I'm not a lawyer, and therefore I cannot give legal advice.

I had a friend (until his untimely demise) who was very interested in this, and related, subjects.

Steve had once told me, and explained the rationale, which I shall relate, that if you are going to BEAT someone with a gun, it should ALWAYS be a loaded gun.

(Again >presumably< under CA >and perhaps other< law) The concept involves the application of the maximum potential force of the weapon in question VS less than maximum force. This is usually only useful if you are being charged with something, but it is useful knowledge nonetheless...

If you beat someone with an unloaded gun you are effectively using the maximum force of the weapon you have at your disposal. You will therefore be guilty of the maximum possible charge.

On the OTHER hand...

If you beat someone with a LOADED gun, you are using much less than the possible maximum force that your weapon may exert and therefore it shows that you are exercising reasonable restraint and if you are charged with something, the fact you were using less than the maximum force of the weapon you possessed may result in lesser charges or perhaps no charges. "Yes sir! I coulda blown him away, but I just smacked him upside the head!" can become a reasonable defense if your gun is LOADED.

This information to to be filed and considered "For what its worth!" (Paul Harvey, {God Bless} Good Day!)