• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Patrol doesnt like magazine carry

Tucker6900

I was heading home from Michigan yesterday, when we stopped at the South Holland travel stop. You know, the one with the McDonalds, a gas station, etc. Since Illinois doesnt like my sidearm, I stored it before crossing the border from Indiana. And, since its a pain to remove my belt to remove my holster and spare mag pouch, I left the two on, with a spare mag still in the pouch.

We ordered our food from McDonalds, sat down at a table, while the kids played in the play area. We were not there 2 minutes when a pair of ISP officers approached very cautiously. I turned and said hello, and one of them told me to keep my hand on the table, which wasnt a problem as I was enjoying my delicious Big Mac. Once they made their way around my left side, they realized I didnt have a gun in the holster, and chastized me for causing alarm. I ask "Is it illegal to carry this without a gun?" To which the answered no, but "you can understand that from a distance we couldnt tell either way". And I agreed, then they asked where the gun was at, which I then asked if I was being detained. They said no, but were checking the situation. I told them that if the conversation was going to continue, I needed to get my phone out of my pocket to record the situation. At that point, one of them started to cite the Illinois wire tapping law, and I shot him down the the Court block. The other officer then said, "just be safe sir, we dont need any other issues. Have a nice day."

After they left, that Big Mac tasted SOOOOOOOO much better!!:)

H

Herr Heckler Koch

A business opportunity

Kreamey Krispy Crow is better than Dunkan Doughnuts for cops.

Mark 1911

I live in Indiana, very close to the rest area in Illinois which the OP described in his post. If it wasn't for the fact that I work in downtown Chicago, I would never spend any time at all in Illionois except to pass through. Like the rest of us, I detest having to disarm when passing through IL, and for my daily commute from IN to IL. They will never get any of my money except for my taxes which I must pay.

Last edited:

MKEgal

If they can't tell the difference between magazines & a pistol grip, they both need glasses.
Or maybe binoculars.
:banghead: :cuss:
Sounds like you handled the intrusion just fine. :)

rushcreek2

I gather that encounter with the ISP was an example of the RTKBA in Illinois being-

".....SUBJECT TO THE POLICE POWER".

What if you had a folded issue of " Guns & Ammo" protruding from your hip pocket with a the bore of a handgun displayed ??? Probably would have required further "investigation" (intimidation) also.

There seems to be a "new horizon" developing within the scope of the law enforcement community care-taking function that apparently addresses otherwise legal conduct that may still be deemed "problematic", or may contribute to public "nervousness".

Last edited:

wolfgangmob

Maybe people should start to open carry their holsters and magazines/magazine holders? Effectively the same as the holster protests that have been done on college campuses (minus the ammo). Might do that a bit next time I go to IL.

Tucker6900

Maybe people should start to open carry their holsters and magazines/magazine holders? Effectively the same as the holster protests that have been done on college campuses (minus the ammo). Might do that a bit next time I go to IL.

Sounds like plan!!

wolfgangmob

Sounds like plan!!

I might have some free time to do it in Belleville IL tomorrow, probably the worst place to try it outside of Chicago area. I would also like to try recording the whole event, with audio, if anything does happen, though right now audio recording an on duty officer is a greyish area, the IL eavesdropping law was ruled unconstitutional for such an instance, but the law may not have been changed yet.

protias

I might have some free time to do it in Belleville IL tomorrow, probably the worst place to try it outside of Chicago area. I would also like to try recording the whole event, with audio, if anything does happen, though right now audio recording an on duty officer is a greyish area, the IL eavesdropping law was ruled unconstitutional for such an instance, but the law may not have been changed yet.

As soon as the gavel hit, that "law" for recording on duty police was struck down.

devildog24

I gather that encounter with the ISP was an example of the RTKBA in Illinois being-

".....SUBJECT TO THE POLICE POWER".

ISP have forgotten their oath. They carry guns and tell women to use car keys or rat-tail combs to fight off rapists and muggers. Cops in the Peoples republic of Illinois are paranoid of the possibility of citizens carrying a weapon.

davidmcbeth

Banned
In IL you can keep your gun in the trunk in a locked container w/o ammo.... must have been the I294 rest stop?

I would have just told them to contact their legislature if they wished the law changed because, clearly, you support carrying mags.

I never had too much issues with IL state police, they should just disband this organization though ... I did see one of their squads parked on a shoulder of I294 (to slow folks down I guess) and somebody taped a Dunkin Donuts box to their hood ... :D