• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portland, Maine - Illegal Stop

amzbrady

That is freaking awesome. I wish I could learn the law like that. I only hope if I ever have an encounter, that I could do half as well. If there were some kind of recourse for these meaningless MWAG calls, I would imagine there would be alot fewer of them.

Difdi

How does the cop know he's not a felon?

How does he know that cop isn't a police impersonator? How does he know the cop isn't a convicted felon who lied about his criminal record when applying for the job? How does he know this isn't the day a real cop has snapped from the pressure and is in the process of going postal?

If simply being armed in public and these facts not being known is RAS of a crime, then there is also RAS that the cop is a criminal too.

There's a nasty side-effect to that "I don't know you" statement cops love to toss out. The citizen doesn't know the cop either. Impersonating police is a crime, and resisting a criminal's unlawful actions against you is self-defense.

Last edited:

Knowledge

Awesome

Brass balls, he did very well but talked a bit too much IMHO.

I was thinking he talked a little too much as well but he stood his ground and gave no personal information so can't really hold it against him. It would have been better if he never let him take his gun.

Stretch

I like how he informs the officer that he pointed a loaded firearm at him, prior to the weapon being cleared.

Sent by Droid

Metalhead47

I was thinking he talked a little too much as well but he stood his ground and gave no personal information so can't really hold it against him. It would have been better if he never let him take his gun.

Little easier said than done there. Physical resistance is a real good way to bring down all sorts of hurt upon one's self.

Vitaeus

I hope he sues the city for illegal detention and violations of various 4th amendment issues. He has the LEO on tape saying "yes to "Did you stop me solely for carrying a firearm". I don't have the citation, but I thought there is a court case that basically listed that as a big no-no.

jbone

Public safety... and continues to repeat his reason after he carelessly points a loaded firearm at a member of the public. The officer was the public safety risk .