• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

home Dehydrating, and Storing in Mylars

Beretta92FSLady

I am picking-up a food dehydrator (Excalibur). I was going to purchase bulk Mylar bags because square-inch-wise they are way cheaper.

The question is: Is there anyone here that home dehydrates, and stores using mylar's? Also, if I purchase a vacu-sealer, would I be able to use smaller cc oxygen absorbers?

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I occasionally dry some fruits in the oven, but only during the winter. Once the fruit is dry, I toss a handful of dried fruit in a zip-lock back, chase it with a small desiccant, zip it 90% closed, then suck as much air out of it as I can before zipping it the rest of the way. After that, I toss them in a box in the freezer for long-term storage, thereby avoiding having to use nitrates/trites, or whatever other unhealthy preservatives are usually all over dried fruit you buy from the store.

I believe zip-loc bags are mylar. Perhaps not?

Beretta92FSLady

I occasionally dry some fruits in the oven, but only during the winter. Once the fruit is dry, I toss a handful of dried fruit in a zip-lock back, chase it with a small desiccant, zip it 90% closed, then suck as much air out of it as I can before zipping it the rest of the way. After that, I toss them in a box in the freezer for long-term storage, thereby avoiding having to use nitrates/trites, or whatever other unhealthy preservatives are usually all over dried fruit you buy from the store.

I believe zip-loc bags are mylar. Perhaps not?

I wish zip-locks were mylar.

gunns

Well now, where to start. I prep so I use a lot of mylar bags.

My wife picked up a Foodsaver sealer and I use it all the time. She got a stiff reusable plastic straw that fits over the accessory sealer hose thingie. I use a mylar bag sealer and seal about two thirds of the bag (after putting what ever I want into it of course), throw in an Ox absorber (300cc for 1 gallon all the way up to 2000cc for 5 or 6 gallons) then I seal all but a half inch of the bag.

I then stick in the straw, hold the bag around it and hit the accessory button on the sealer. I let it suck out as much as it can get, than I have my wife yank out the straw and seal the bag with her fingers, then I seal the last half inch. Works great.

Freedom1Man

I am picking-up a food dehydrator (Excalibur). I was going to purchase bulk Mylar bags because square-inch-wise they are way cheaper.

The question is: Is there anyone here that home dehydrates, and stores using mylar's? Also, if I purchase a vacu-sealer, would I be able to use smaller cc oxygen absorbers?

Best food dehydrator that I have used/found thus far. http://www.nesco.com/products/Dehydrators/ I can get a full batch done in a day. With my commercial sized one handling up to 30 trays and my home model handling 12. I can go through more than a flat/box of fruit and have it done in under 12 hours/over night normally.

Vacuum packing is mylar is the is the only way to go, as for smaller O2 absorbers I don't see why not when you vacuum pack in mylar.

Last edited: