• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just moved to Oregon from california

virginian45colt

Hey all, I just joined here and I don't know, just have a California mentality and am having weird issues exercising my 2nd amendment rights. I want to open carry and do in my truck but just i don't know don't have the guts to open carry outside my truck. I just moved from California and have Cali mentality. Any suggestions on how to get over it? I know weird question but I'm just worried about getting harassed by the PD with my cali plates and drivers license. I was getting harassed back home which is the reason I moved here.:cuss:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Only one way to find out. Depending on where you are living those fears could be somewhat justified, but even the bad cops here are equivalent to the good cops in CA. Read the Oregon brochure (at the top of the post listings in this forum), carry an audio recorder, and don't act like a moron and try it out. The vast majority of the time nobody is going to do anything more than glance at you, but occasionally you'll have somebody ask you about open carrying, and even less often than that you'll have a cop see you and either ignore you or hassle you.

4runman

Get you cc licence, so you have less legality issues. I don't know where your located, but find somewhere that's legal. Just go for it, the more you do the better it will get.

virginian45colt

Got stopped for the first time this morning. An uniformed officer asked why I was carrying, I told him for self defense and he said it was legal not advisable. Kind of cracked up, they always know or think they know the law but say they don't want you to use the law.:banghead:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Stopped the very first morning? That's some bad luck. I carried for seven months straight in Corvallis and had a cop talk to me once and was illegally detained once, and I would assume that Corvallis has many more gun fearing liberal types than Dallas. Did you have your recorder on you? Just as a heads up, in Oregon you have to inform others that you are audio recording them. You might consider filing a complaint against the officer for bothering you and for suggesting that carrying a firearm is not advisable, but be aware you'll likely have to disclose your address on the complaint form.

virginian45colt

Stopped the very first morning? That's some bad luck. I carried for seven months straight in Corvallis and had a cop talk to me once and was illegally detained once, and I would assume that Corvallis has many more gun fearing liberal types than Dallas. Did you have your recorder on you? Just as a heads up, in Oregon you have to inform others that you are audio recording them. You might consider filing a complaint against the officer for bothering you and for suggesting that carrying a firearm is not advisable, but be aware you'll likely have to disclose your address on the complaint form.

Not the first day here in Oregon, just the last couple of days I started open carrying.