• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

**VIDEO** of being stopped for OPEN CARRY in Louisiana

Breanne

I remained polite with the officer, in order to avoid escalating the situation.
I was on my bicycle riding around the neighborhood, headed home, when I heard sirens. Check out the video here:
http://youtu.be/g2dC8MDKKTE

Also, I will be calling the department as the officer stated that I "could not carry within the city limits". Ignorant.

Of course, she's also the same one who encouraged me to get a can of pepper spray.

Valerius

The officer in the video straight up LIED to you. There is no city ordinance against oc in pontchatoula, and even if there were, this state has pre-emption, meaning local laws are moot against state law. You should contact the Pontchatoula police chief IMMEDIATELY and file a complaint. She was using her assumption of your ignorance of La. law as leverage to enforce her agenda. DON'T LET THIS SLIDE. A TPSO deputy tried that same "city ordinance, then parish law", and finally Wal mart policy crap with me once and when he called his superior he had to apologize for his ignorance of the law. LEOs around here expect the masses to take what they say at face value as fact, when they are woefully ignorant of the laws they are supposed to enforce.

Last edited:

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Too much info

Hello officer am I being detained am I free to go? Is the only response needed. Great job on being able to video your encounter now delete all you personal details or you will be the victim of identity theft from the less unscrupulous out there. Carry on!

sraacke

I'd be interested in having her or someone from the department CITE the local ordinance she referred to.
and even if there were, this state has pre-emption, meaning local laws are moot against state law.
Actually, laws in effect before the preemption law went into effect are grandfathered. So we only have partial preemption. IF there is such an ordinance which was in place before 1985 when preemption started then it would be valid.

rmansu2

I'm sorry it had to happen so soon. As I said in the other thread know the law and that it is legal to carry. Your stop was much calmer than mine. But, she should know that it is legal and had no right to tell you how to carry your weapon. And to say you "must" have a CHP to carry us complete bull.

badey

Is a bike not considered a vehicle in LA? In some states (to the best of my knowledge) a bike is considered a vehicle, and OC on a bicycle without a permit is illegal...

sraacke

Pontchatoula Muni code sec 30-272 Illegal caring of a weapon there are 5 definitions,

none of which are of OCing. Look it up, read it and print it out.

Source-
http://www.cityofponchatoula.com/download/attachment/3424
Sec. 30-272. Illegal carrying of weapons.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to commit illegal carrying of weapons. Illegal
carrying of weapons is:
(1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used
or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person;
(2) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any firearm, or other instrumentality
customarily used as a dangerous weapon, at any time by an enemy alien;
(3) The ownership, possession, custody or use of any tools, or dynamite, or nitroglycerine,
or explosives, or other instrumentality customarily used by thieves or burglars at any
time by any person with the intent to commit a crime or violate an ordinance; or
(4) The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife,
spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be
automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button,
switch, latch, or similar contrivance.
(5) a. The intentional possession or use by any person of a dangerous weapon on a
school campus during regular school hours or on a school bus. The term "school"
means any elementary, secondary, high school, or vo-tech school in this state and
the term "campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the
school property. The term "school bus" means any motor bus being used to
transport children to and from school or in connection with school activities.
b. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to either:
1. A peace officer in the performance of his official duties. The term "peace
officer," as used in this section, means any constable, marshal, deputy
marshal, sheriff, deputy sheriff, local or state police officer, commissioned
wildlife enforcement agent, federal law enforcement officer, jail or prison
guard, parole officer, probation officer, judge, attorney general, assistant
attorney general, attorney general's investigator, district attorney, assistant
district attorney, or district attorney's investigator.
2. A school official or employee acting during the normal course of his
employment or a student acting under the direction of such school official or
employee.
3. Any person having the written permission of the principal or school board
and engaged in competition or in marksmanship or safety instruction.
(b) (1) The provisions of this section except subsection (a)(4) of this section shall not
apply to law enforcement officers when in the actual discharge of official duties,
or if not actually discharging official duties, when the law enforcement officers
are full-time, active, or retired from full-time active law enforcement service with
at least 16 years of service upon retirement, excluding medical retirees, and
certified by the council on peace officer standards and training and have on their
persons valid identification as duly commissioned law enforcement officers or
retired law enforcement officers. The retired law enforcement officer must be
retired from full-time active law enforcement service with at least 16 years
service upon retirement. The retired law enforcement officer must be certified
annually in the use of firearms by the council on peace officer standards and
training and have proof of such certification.
(2) a. The provisions of this section except subsection (a)(4) of this section shall not
apply to reserve or auxiliary law enforcement officers qualified annually by
the council on peace officer standards and training and who have on their
person valid identification as retired reserve law or auxiliary municipal
police officers. The retired reserve or auxiliary municipal police officer must
be qualified annually in the use of firearms by the council on peace officer
standards and training and have proof of such certification.
b. For the purposes of this subsection, a reserve or auxiliary municipal police
officer shall be defined as a volunteer, nonregular, sworn member of a law
enforcement agency who serves with or without compensation and has
regular police powers while functioning as such agency's representative,
and who participates on a regular basis in agency activities including but
not limited to those pertaining to crime prevention or control, and the
preservation of the peace and enforcement of the law.
(c) This section shall not prohibit active justices or judges of the supreme court, courts of
appeal, district courts, parish courts, juvenile courts, family courts, city courts, and traffic
courts, constables, justices of the peace, and full-time college or university police officers from
possessing and concealing on their person a properly registered firearm or handgun when
authorized by law.
(d)(1) This section shall not prohibit:
a. The ownership of rescue knives by commissioned full-time law enforcement
officers.
b. The carrying of rescue knives by commissioned full-time law enforcement
officers who are in the actual discharge of their official duties.
c. The sale of rescue knives to commissioned full-time law enforcement
officers.
d. The ownership or possession of rescue knives by merchants who own or
possess the knives solely as inventory to be offered for sale to commissioned
full-time law enforcement officers.
(2) As used in subsection (d)(1) d. of this section, a "rescue knife" is a folding knife,
which can be readily and easily opened with one hand and which has at least one
blade which is designed to be used to free individuals who are trapped by
automobile seat belts, or at least one blade which is designed for a similar
purpose. No blade of a rescue knife shall exceed five inches in length.
State law reference—Similar provisions, R.S. 14:95.

Hunterdave

Is a bike not considered a vehicle in LA? In some states (to the best of my knowledge) a bike is considered a vehicle, and OC on a bicycle without a permit is illegal...

In Louisiana, a vehicle is considered an extension of your home and a weapon can be carried concealed or openly in that vehicle.(without ANY permit)

Last edited:

georg jetson

In Louisiana, a vehicle is considered an extension of your home and a weapon can be carried concealed or openly in that vehicle.(without ANY permit)

This is incorrect and a dangerous propagation of rumor. The concealed firearm law is contained in RS 14:95. There is no exception for your vehicle or home.

If you feel I'm in error, please post the relevant law or jurisprudence.

Edit - Because 14:95 contains the "on one's person" clause, a firearm concealed "not on one's person" is not regulated. However, I recommend doing some research on what is considered "on one's person".

Last edited:

Breanne

This is incorrect and a dangerous propagation of rumor. The concealed firearm law is contained in RS 14:95. There is no exception for your vehicle or home.

Edit - Because 14:95 contains the "on one's person" clause, a firearm concealed "not on one's person" is not regulated. However, I recommend doing some research on what is considered "on one's person".

Wait so are you saying I can't open carry on a bike then??

georg jetson

Wait so are you saying I can't open carry on a bike then??

No ma'am. Sometimes threads can get a bit off topic and sometimes it's difficult to talk about OC without bringing up CC.

According to state law, OC is a protected right regardless of your mode of transportation. However, there are some local governments (parishes/cities) that may have enacted anti-OC legislation prior to 1985. These have to be fixed on a case by case basis. You need to verify that Ponchatoula has no such code. I can tell you for sure that Tangipahoa Parish has no such anti-OC ordinances.

I can tell by your video(s) that you're a very enthusiastic and outgoing person. You'll find that when it comes to OC, those traits should be balanced with an equal portion of patience and forethought. :)

We're having an OC meeting next Wednesday on the 6th. You should definitely try to make it.

Last edited:

georg jetson

I've looked through the Ponchatoula code at the link Steve provided and I agree with Hunterdave. There appears to be nothing anti-OC.

Last edited:

sraacke

Here's a link to the sticky at the top of the Louisiana thread. I suppose Steve will be updating the sticky for next week's meeting. I would but, I don't know how. :)

http://forum.opencarry.com/forums/s...meetings-May-2-2012-in-LaPlace-and-Shreveport
I'll be posting an update soon. Basically, the SouthEast Chapter of LOCAL meets at the IHOP in LaPlace, La on the first Wednesday night of each month at 6:30pm.
The guys in Shreveport, the NorthWest Chapter, have been meeting at the IHOP up there but are discussing having their June meeting at another resturant.
The meetings are open to nonmembers as well so feel free to drop by.

Daylen

only if a permit is required when in a vehicle... last I checked that's not the case in LA.

Hunterdave

I should have said "concealed within the vehicle, but not on one's person" without a permit, as that is what I meant.

Did not mean to propagate any misconceptions.

Last edited: