• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first Oh, crap moment!

Bowesmobile

Outside taking care of my chickens at about 9pm last night. Almost finished when I heard something big fall down in the woods. I sounded like it fell out of a tree or something. But by the time I heard it I had my gun in my hand and pointing in the direction of the sound. I never got a glimpse of what it was. I know we have Coyote, racoons and I've heard we have bear. So I was not taking chances. I reached over and grabbed my phone to get my son out there with a flashlight to look into the woods where I heard the sound. But didn't see anything. So after training tonight I'll be going out into the woods to check the area out. It was close, withing 50 yards of me from the sound. Anyways, just thought I'd share.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
zombie-resurrection-zombie-in-woods.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I expect I know what it was Bowes. It WASN'T a bear. They are unbelievably quiet and really don't climb much unless they're after honey.

I expect it was a coon. I've seen it happen dozens of time this time of year and really don't understand why, but the stupid things will fall out of a 40 foot tree, dust themselves off and go on like nothing happened.

They sound like someone dropped a 50 pound sack of feed through every dead branch in the forest.

Shoobee

Whenever I am camping out in the night, in the mountains and forests, I often hear big noises.

I automatically just assume it is black bears.

I sleep with my 44 rem mag and a flashlight inside a big tent, and I don't even worry about it.

Once I heard footfalls in my camp, so I got the flashlight and I shined it in the direction of the noise, and it was a doe.

Lots of animals are up and about at night. Nothing to worry about.

If you pee in a square pattern around your camp, that will normally keep animals away. It tells the animals this area is occupied.

The doe must have thought I was a buck.

:D

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

I expect I know what it was Bowes. It WASN'T a bear. They are unbelievably quiet and really don't climb much unless they're after honey.

I expect it was a coon. I've seen it happen dozens of time this time of year and really don't understand why, but the stupid things will fall out of a 40 foot tree, dust themselves off and go on like nothing happened.

They sound like someone dropped a 50 pound sack of feed through every dead branch in the forest.

You know Peter I think you are right. I was out last night and I found a Racoon in my garbage. By the time I got out to where I could shoot safely it saw me and booked outta my back yard. It then returned to try and finish what it started much later in the night. Got into my chicken feed through the lid. I need to get a little faster on the draw.

I do understand there are a lot of non-vicious animals in the woods at night. I'm not going to let it stop me from going out. But my first reaction to draw my gun was the right one. That Racoon is going to meet his end very soon...

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You know Peter I think you are right. I was out last night and I found a Racoon in my garbage. By the time I got out to where I could shoot safely it saw me and booked outta my back yard. It then returned to try and finish what it started much later in the night. Got into my chicken feed through the lid. I need to get a little faster on the draw.

I do understand there are a lot of non-vicious animals in the woods at night. I'm not going to let it stop me from going out. But my first reaction to draw my gun was the right one. That Racoon is going to meet his end very soon...

They make good hats!:lol:

Shooting them is a good idea. I worry more about the coons than anything else this time of year. I have to kill at least three with rabies every summer. They're social butterflies right now and when one is rabid, a bunch get it.

Listen at night for a really pretty bird call. What that really is are the babies calling to keep track of mama. When you hear that, start looking for them.

Bowesmobile

They make good hats!:lol:

Shooting them is a good idea. I worry more about the coons than anything else this time of year. I have to kill at least three with rabies every summer. They're social butterflies right now and when one is rabid, a bunch get it.

Listen at night for a really pretty bird call. What that really is are the babies calling to keep track of mama. When you hear that, start looking for them.

Thanks for the tip! I dont need a permit because its a nuisance animal right? Should I inform Animal control or someone so they dont send out a patrol car? Something I was thinking about for tonight.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for the tip! I dont need a permit because its a nuisance animal right? Should I inform Animal control or someone so they dont send out a patrol car? Something I was thinking about for tonight.

Animal control isn't the one to watch out for. It's the Game Warden.
I just shoot them and bury them. The hides aren't any good this time of year.
If anyone says anything, just remember The Southpark show..."He was coming right for us":lol:

southpark_ep103_1.jpg

Bowesmobile

Animal control isn't the one to watch out for. It's the Game Warden.
I just shoot them and bury them. The hides aren't any good this time of year.
If anyone says anything, just remember The Southpark show..."He was coming right for us":lol:

southpark_ep103_1.jpg

ROFL! I remember that episode! Classic! Good enough for me!

mk4

^^^

are you sure she din't tangle with the wrong end of the gator tail at bass pro shop's restaurant?? :shocker::shocker::shocker:

Last edited: