Thread: I let my NRA membership expire.

I let my NRA membership expire.

I decided not to renew my NRA membership this time around. I understand the NRA is still the largest and most well funded pro-gun (not pro-2A necessarily) organization, but I just don't feel they are working for what I believe is important in Wisconsin. Besides, I don't need another key chain. I am not advocating the exodus of the NRA, just wanted to share.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Herr Heckler Koch
    I just now recycled an anti-Barrett flyer from the NRA. How'n the hell did they get this address?!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    I decided not to renew my NRA membership this time around. I understand the NRA is still the largest and most well funded pro-gun (not pro-2A necessarily) organization, but I just don't feel they are working for what I believe is important in Wisconsin. Besides, I don't need another key chain. I am not advocating the exodus of the NRA, just wanted to share.
    I recommend joining Gun Owners of America. Much less spam and they work for every dollar. Larry Pratt doesn't pay himself $2,000,000 a year like WL.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Thumbs up

After I let my membership lapse, I didn't feel dirty inside anymore.

I started feeling dirty again when I registered as a Republican because of a change in our primary rules (but only to vote for Ron Paul...) .
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Why We Should Belong To Gun Rights Organizations-7 Anti-Gun Bills You Didn't Know...

I certainly don't agree with everything every "gun rights" group does but I do recognize the NRA is the big boy in the house. Instead of leaving one rights group how about supporting as many as we can?

Link to some very bad anti-gun bills: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/05/2...pid=1402#image

Support Gun Owners of America, The Second Amendment Foundation, Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership, the National Rifle Association, Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms, Wisconsin Carry, Inc. and so on.

It may cost $125 a year to be a member of all of these gun rights groups but it's worth it.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    I certainly don't agree with everything every "gun rights" group does but I do recognize the NRA is the big boy in the house. Instead of leaving one rights group how about supporting as many as we can?

Link to some very bad anti-gun bills: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/05/2...pid=1402#image

Support Gun Owners of America, The Second Amendment Foundation, Jews For The Preservation Of Firearms Ownership, the National Rifle Association, Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms, Wisconsin Carry, Inc. and so on.

It may cost $125 a year to be a member of all of these gun rights groups but it's worth it.
    +1. If you don't feel you can support one or another, find one you can. Gun owners are up against the Joyce Foundation, three-quarters of a billion dollars in assets and Bloomberg with God knows how many billions in assets. Compared to them, the NRA is in poverty status.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Right on brother! Who needs DC v Heller or Chicago v MacDonald? The NRA does nothing of importance for any gun owners anymore.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    Right on brother! Who needs DC v Heller or Chicago v MacDonald? The NRA does nothing of importance for any gun owners anymore.
    DC v Heller was privately financed by Robert Levy, a senior fellow at the libertarian-leaning Cato Institute (although they did not participate). The NRA was initially against the lawsuit because they feared a loss that would set bad precedent.

Chicago v. McDonald was filed by the Second Amendment Foundation. Although the NRA had a simultaneous case, it was not as broadly-based, seeking only the "right" to register handguns in Chicago.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 05-29-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Same here

Skipped NRA for a while now. Too many compromising positions they take in the political bed.

GOA

JPFO

WCI

The incrementalism that the NRA deals in gives too much ground to anti's. GOA et al deals on principle and calls a spade a spade.

Would respond but I just laid my bike down coming around a corner on a slick spot. Time to rest up.

never had any interest n the NRA

but thanks to wisconsin carry inc I have become very interested in all gun groups across the nation, but the dane county motto is keep your money local, so I do.

WoW this app is horribly painful on the samsung galaxy tab Won't do this again took me 20 minutes to type this
    "In a court trial half the lawyers are wrong." - Captain Nemo

"[There is] a duty in refusing to cooperate in any undertaking that violates the Constitutional rights of the individual. This holds in particular for all inquisitions that are concerned with the private life and the political affiliations of the citizens." - Albert Einstein

gunowners.org ~ lp.org ~ downsizedc.org ~ oathkeepers.org ~ campaignforliberty.com/usa/WI/ ~ goooh.com

If memory serves, the NRA didnt get involved with MacDonald VS Chicago until it looked like the case was all but won and stuck their nose into it for the publicity.

If memory serves, the NRA didnt get involved with MacDonald VS Chicago until it looked like the case was all but won and stuck their nose into it for the publicity.
    Yup.

I keep a base membership at the NRA, with specific instructions to not send me any monthly "renewal notice" solicitations, nor any hat/bag/keychain junk, nor any marketing crap, except a once-a-year renewal letter.

I give my big annual donation to the SAF, as they seem to be the most effective group actually doing things in the litigation arena.
    Last edited by amaixner; 05-31-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Would respond but I just laid my bike down coming around a corner on a slick spot. Time to rest up.
    Hope your ok