• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm as a gift - shipping to Ohio

SAMI

I'm toying with sending by brother a rifle from our childhood, and I need to know if it is required to be transfered through an FFL, or if I can just send it to his house. He is in Ohio, and I am in Utah. He's been whining that I have our Dad's 1959 Remington Fieldmaster Model 572-CWB; a gun that we both grew up shooting and that I put time & money into to have it brought back from the dead. Anyways, I was in a local gunshop and saw a much newer 572 (manf date of Jan 1991) that's a fraction of what the '59 572 costs that I'm sure he would still be stoked about.. He's not as nearly into firearms as I am, so I really think he'd love the nostalgia of it for his upcoming birthday.

Anyways.. What are my options on sending it his way?

Thanks,

-Jason

Just for kicks, here's the 1959 572-CWB Fieldmaster
DSC_2365.jpg

Last edited:

N605TW

Activist Member
I did some very lite looking around on Google. It looks like the answer is no. You will have to ship it to a FFL.

Nice rifle by the way.

Taken from http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html
nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922(a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Blk97F150

And even more reading, from the ATF:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
What you described is Dad's 1959 Remington Fieldmaster Model 572-CWB. If your dad has passed did he will it to your brother? It sounds like he did.

18 USC 922
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(5) for any person...to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person...who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in...the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to
(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence...

Last edited: