Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Have you ever been glad you DIDN'T have your gun?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sedro Woolley, Skagit County
    Posts
    23

    Have you ever been glad you DIDN'T have your gun?

    I don't mean it in a way like as in you'd of done something stupid, that's immature. I'll share my story today that made me wonder..

    Was on vacation last week, and off holiday on Monday so today was my first day back. Figured I'd leave to work an hour early to get some stuff done. Was leaving town on a main road to get to I5 and saw a sheriff going the other way. I was only going 5 over so when I saw him flip around down the road and hit his lights I thought maybe it was my cracked windshield or something. Turns out it was my front plate being in my dash instead of mounted, oh well.

    Normally when driving somewhere I know I'm not allowed to carry (ie work) I leave it wedged between the passenger seat and the console in the IWB holster because I'll be leaving it in the car for the day (not there of course). I knew I was coming straight home from work today so opted to leave it home instead. The officer was very friendly and I left without issue but I don't know if he was the type who doesn't like armed citizens etc. I was super pissed I chose to leave early on my first day back and had gotten pulled over in the first place (even though it turned into a non issue) but I continued to work thinking I was kind of glad I didn't carry today.

    Anyone else got a odd instance where they were glad they weren't carrying? Most CANT and say they feel naked without.. so it's an odd situation indeed.

    PS: I realize I wouldn't of been doing anything wrong had I carried in that fashion today, I was just happy it wasn't a headache as it was.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Set View Post
    I don't mean it in a way like as in you'd of done something stupid, that's immature. I'll share my story today that made me wonder..

    Was on vacation last week, and off holiday on Monday so today was my first day back. Figured I'd leave to work an hour early to get some stuff done. Was leaving town on a main road to get to I5 and saw a sheriff going the other way. I was only going 5 over so when I saw him flip around down the road and hit his lights I thought maybe it was my cracked windshield or something. Turns out it was my front plate being in my dash instead of mounted, oh well.

    Normally when driving somewhere I know I'm not allowed to carry (ie work) I leave it wedged between the passenger seat and the console in the IWB holster because I'll be leaving it in the car for the day (not there of course). I knew I was coming straight home from work today so opted to leave it home instead. The officer was very friendly and I left without issue but I don't know if he was the type who doesn't like armed citizens etc. I was super pissed I chose to leave early on my first day back and had gotten pulled over in the first place (even though it turned into a non issue) but I continued to work thinking I was kind of glad I didn't carry today.

    Anyone else got a odd instance where they were glad they weren't carrying? Most CANT and say they feel naked without.. so it's an odd situation indeed.

    PS: I realize I wouldn't of been doing anything wrong had I carried in that fashion today, I was just happy it wasn't a headache as it was.
    No.

    I'd rather carry and know that I can protect my life than not.

    I can deal with the 'headache' of LEO, I am confident of that. I would suggest that you elevate your ability to deal with LEO, the 4th amendemnt, the 5th amendment, etc...
    Live Free or Die!

  3. #3
    Regular Member acmariner99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Renton, Wa
    Posts
    662
    As a matter of fact, yes. I will only say that there has been a recent situation where the risk of my firearm potentially being used inappropriately far outweighed the risk of a potential attack. Due to the continued risk in this situation, I either carefully conceal or I leave my firearm under lock and key - or simply don't bring it with me. I don't even wear my OC holster and I make no mention of firearms whatsoever. If you want clarification, PM me.

    In other news, I have had rather immature comments made where I was glad my firearm was under my immediate control and not the other persons. I no longer associate myself with these individuals.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    No.

  5. #5
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    Never. I don't like being unarmed. I'm confident in my hand to hand capabilities but criminals don't fight fair, do they?
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sedro Woolley, Skagit County
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    but criminals don't fight fair, do they?

    I don't think they do anything fair.

    gogodawgs, I understand where you come from.

    Because my work forbids it and the nature of my job would make doing it anyways near 100% impossible not to get caught I actually don't carry very often at all when going solely to work and back. I know it could be needed, but I don't like leaving it locked in the car away from myself all day just to have it with me while walking to my car in the morning and walking from the car to my house at night. This is a risk I take. But I work in a sketchy part of town and don't trust to leave anything worth more than 50$ or so in my car whether it's visible or not, heh. So today was not anything unusual for me, but being so frustrated on my return day to work itself (sucks to go back) and then getting pulled over just made me think I was glad I didn't have it, whether it "should" of caused problems or not (it shouldn't, I know this).

  7. #7
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Set View Post
    But I work in a sketchy part of town and don't trust to leave anything worth more than 50$ or so in my car whether it's visible or not, heh.
    So what do you do to keep your car from being stolen, being a "sketchy part of town" and all?

    Sounds like maybe one would want to be armed just going back and forth from work to the car.

    As for being armed when stopped, since I started carrying in 1964, I've been stopped a couple of times and never been disarmed, or had an officer worry about my firearm. Only words usually spoken were "where?", "Just leave it where it is", and once, "just leave your hands where I can see them".

    Why all the paranoia about being stopped while armed? You ARE going about your business legally, right?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,201
    No. I carry as much as I can, even though that's concealed most of the time. At least I have it with me if I need it. I ride the bus and have witnessed a couple of assaults at the Burien transit center; I don't have the option of not going there because of my work. I also practice good situational awareness that is just about automatic now. I do not read, wear headphones, etc.; I pay attention to what and who is around me.

    I was stopped by a LEO while OC a couple of years ago. He was polite, professional, and didn't seem to have a problem with OC. He did disarm me, which I didn't like, but they are supposedly allowed to do that for "officer safety". I was nervous of course, my first time stopped OC, but it went well and I didn't get a ticket. (Turned without signaling).
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead


    Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    Regular Member Vitaeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington
    Posts
    593
    Not so far, in about a year of carrying. Wife and I just finished a road trip to Montana and we both carried our sig's damn near 24 hours a day for 4 days, except for sleeping. Of course WA, ID, and MT are very open carry friendly.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sedro Woolley, Skagit County
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    So what do you do to keep your car from being stolen, being a "sketchy part of town" and all?

    Sounds like maybe one would want to be armed just going back and forth from work to the car.
    Drive a piece of crap and hope no one wants it? Some things cannot be avoided and I've got to go to work. I've not heard of anyones car getting stolen during day hours in the parking lot. It's quite big and shares parking with the 7 other businesses on a strip mall. I have heard, several times however, of peoples cars getting opened and their stuff getting stolen/gone through. I don't know if they just left them unlocked or anything, those details aren't my business. Either way I don't like leaving it in the car.

    As for being armed then it's not so bad when we leave at night and the lot is mostly empty. We leave at the time (7 employees) and all are mandated to park in reserved spots next to each other. I'm far more worried during the day when the lot is full of cars and people coming and going all the time to have a break-in then I am going to my car at the end of the day. As previously mentioned taking it in is not an option so going to and from the car unarmed is not something that can change, either way.


    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Why all the paranoia about being stopped while armed? You ARE going about your business legally, right?
    If you read what I mentioned at least two times before of course I was going about everything legally. I wouldn't call it paranoia because I say that ONE TIME I was glad I didn't have it. Paranoia would be like jumping in the bushes every time a LEO walked by or something dumb like that. You've heard stories about leo having negative/illegal reactions to legally armed citizens, right? Well that could potentially make a stop turn into a headache, and this onnnneee time I thought to myself that the day was going so horribly already I was glad I wasn't carrying. End of story.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,137
    I do not go about unarmed. I have had only one incident while OCing in Bellingham. The offending officer was Officer Allen Bass of Bellingham PD. During his attempt to intimidate me he implied that he was going to "take" my weapon. I strongly commented that he had no authority to take my weapon and he did not have my permission to either search or seizure. Do not take this encounter as atypical of LEOs, this officer was just acting like a thug, not a LEO
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  12. #12
    Regular Member Difdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    So what do you do to keep your car from being stolen, being a "sketchy part of town" and all?
    It's not hard to install a kill switch, which would be my suggestion for anyone, whether they leave a gun locked in their car or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •