Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've noticed a trend..

I've noticed a trend..

While sitting at Denny's reading or shooting the sh*t I'll get up to walk outside or to the bathroom etc. While doing this more than a few times people notice my OCed sidearm and I hear "That's that new concealed carry I heard about.". I always chuckle in my head and when I return I occasionally get the "Are you a cop or security or is that the new conceal carry thing?" I start with the difference between OC and CC and then explain OC has been legal in WI over a decade now to which I get moon eyes.

Anyone else having this happen?

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    i have gotten a few dirty looks at the kwik trip in new lisbon while waiting in line from other customers other than that no one really notices and i OC more than i CC
    i did have one almost bad experience at said gas station i was walking thru with my kids getting some drinks and this guy followed me thru the store and looked like cat ready to pounce at the first sight of trouble i think he may have thought i was going to rob the place or something i was OCing he kind of had a crazed MMA fighter look on his face
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 05-30-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

McX
    i've noticed carry somewhere into a store, and the clerks will fall over themselves to help you. it's nice to be loved.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    .... I start with the difference between OC and CC and then explain OC has been legal in WI over a decade now to which I get moon eyes.
    I am not aware of OC ever being prohibited by State law which is to say that it has always been legal. Perhaps you were thinking about the fact that local ordinances have been prohibited since November 30th 1995.

I was in Lizzy's waiting for others to show up, so as I was sitting at the counter reading the paper, some other patrons were talking amongst themselves how carry is now legal. They never asked me any questions, so I minded my own business and went on reading the paper.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I was in Lizzy's waiting for others to show up, so as I was sitting at the counter reading the paper, some other patrons were talking amongst themselves how carry is now legal. They never asked me any questions, so I minded my own business and went on reading the paper.
    With all of your experience and knowledge, I am somewhat suprised, that you did not at least look scary, or threatening.

At least a growl?
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    I am not aware of OC ever being prohibited by State law which is to say that it has always been legal. Perhaps you were thinking about the fact that local ordinances have been prohibited since November 30th 1995.
    Yup.

ive never had anyone say anything to me i have had people walk past me a second time at woodmans to see if it really was a gun they saw but other than that i dont have any problems i do tend to conceal more than open just because when im at work i cant carry and my iwb holster is easiest to take off and put on but on weekends i generally open carry as far as not being able to carry at work - yes it sucks but i am a mechanic so it would end up getting ruined or something so it doesnt bother me too much

Oddly with me OCing around MKE as much as I do I have only been asked questions a handful of times
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

At woodmans a couple of months ago, I got passed by the same guy 3 times, and he was eyeballing my holstered XD45 everytime.

Other than ol' Norman, nobody has commented on it, or at least that I could hear.

I had to get gas on the way home from the Delavan event today. As I was cleaning my windows, a guy pulls into the gas station and walks up to me to ask where something was. I told him I didn't know. I have my bright orange WCI shirt and OCing. Seems like he was real afraid of me right WAVE?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I'll be walking and see people's heads go straight to my hip. Or sometimes I'll be minding my own business and look at someone who then tries their hardest to ignore or avoid me instead of being caught catching a glimpse of me. People are so funny. Its just a tool. How come you don't care about my pocket knife or multitool?

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    i did have one almost bad experience at said gas station i was walking thru with my kids getting some drinks and this guy followed me thru the store and looked like cat ready to pounce at the first sight of trouble i think he may have thought i was going to rob the place or something i was OCing he kind of had a crazed MMA fighter look on his face
    Understandable. Lots of criminals rob gas stations with their kids along.

just today garage saleing in new lisbon i got a "hey is that one of those concealed carry guns" i covered it with my shirt and said now it is then i explained the difference all while standing across the street from a grade school which i also graciously explained to her and her husband
    SCOTT

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

I just had this happen at the gas station. "Concealed carry"?"

"Nope this is called open carry."

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    Understandable. Lots of criminals rob gas stations with their kids along.
    Gotta have a getaway driver

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    my 3 year old is the best get away driver but he wanted a bug juice so he went in with me
    SCOTT

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    And a getaway car with child-safety seats.

just one of mine needs a seat so im all good
    SCOTT

Must of the time people ignore me when I am OC. However a couple of weeks ago I stopped at a Brat fry and the guy behind the counter saw the 1911 I was carrying. His eyes were kind of big and he was nervous but the funny part he would look any where but at the gun. I thought for sure he was going to say something but he did not.

McX
    being polite, courteous, and quiet drives them nuts. i guess they expect us all to be gun slingers of old. i dont see any spit-toons in any of the places i go to, so i cant fit the stereo type. Plus i dont recall any robbers paying for their goods at the checkout.

so far one disparaging look, some conversations, and a fair amount of 'Moon-Eyes'.
    Last edited by McX; 06-12-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Spit-toons have been replaced by buttkits/asstrays that will soon go the way of snuffboxes and buggy whips.

I'm constantly educating people when they ask about my gun. And it seems there's a lot of uneducated people cause I constantly get asked about it. I just tell them that I love my family enough to protect them, or that I have a wife and 3 kids under 5 years old and in any altercation I'm automatically at a disadventage. To which I usually get the "but they're not with you at the moment, so why do you have it", my reply is simply "to make sure I get to go home to them at the end of the day". Done. I don't get too many strange looks, but I guess it's an attention grabber so I constantly get glances.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Personally, I don't ever OC.....don't want the trouble or hassle.......really do not want to attract attention to myself....I don't have anything against it, I just prefer to stay incognito.

Last night I was walking back from the bathroom at Denny's and a few low 20s ladies were walking up to pay their tab. One hid behind her friend and I could hear her say "oh my god he has a gun!! LOOK!" I chuckled and the waitress kinda laughed too. Her friend told her it was "legal and to chill". Then later I was out side talking and another patron asked if I would unholster so she could see it. I looked at her a bit dumbfounded and then explained what brandishing meant as well as safety issues of showing random strangers my sidearm. She understood and went to her car. Some people I swear. "Yeah sure you can see it. Let me know if you need help aiming or anything." Sigh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast