• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

non-resident carrying in Michigan

allens2

Hello all, I am new to opencarry.org, but have already found some great information here! I recently got a job in Michigan and will be commuting up there every week from Ohio (where I am a resident). I have a Florida non-resident ccw permit and know that Michigan will not honor it for concealed carry. However, I seem to remember reading something about how the non-resident florida permit will allow me to open carry in Michigan... is this correct? Also, will it allow me to merely posses a handgun in my part-time apartment I will be renting (I plan on keeping my Ohio residency). I know this has already been covered in other posts, but I am still very confused on these laws, hopefully someone can help me clarify. It would be very appreciated!!

Michigander

Yes, it will allow open carrying.

Do however bear in mind that the federal gun free school zones act prevents you from carrying within 1,000 feet of a school without a license to carry in the state you are carrying in. The only real exception is on private property. Also, you won't be able to carry in a car.

The solutions you have available are to switch your residence to Michigan and register one or more handguns. Each registered handgun, by Michigan law, is "licensed" to carry, according to the wording of the law. This covers only legal OC in a defined set of circumstances. However, the "licence" never expires. This "license" requirement of registration is the same thing you'd be satisfying with your florida permit, the difference is that the Michigan registration satisfies the GFSZA's 1000 foot rule.

Alternatively, you could get an ohio CCW type license, and assuming you keep it lawfully concealed according to state law, you aren't likely to have a problem with the GFSZA. Essentially, the cops here are often us against them thugs, and any time they feel their masculinity is threatened, they'll get nasty. So any time you want to OC, make good and sure all your bases are covered.

Cruise around the Michigan forum to find out more.

Last edited:

Jared

Hello all, I am new to opencarry.org, but have already found some great information here! I recently got a job in Michigan and will be commuting up there every week from Ohio (where I am a resident). I have a Florida non-resident ccw permit and know that Michigan will not honor it for concealed carry. However, I seem to remember reading something about how the non-resident florida permit will allow me to open carry in Michigan... is this correct? Also, will it allow me to merely posses a handgun in my part-time apartment I will be renting (I plan on keeping my Ohio residency). I know this has already been covered in other posts, but I am still very confused on these laws, hopefully someone can help me clarify. It would be very appreciated!!

With a part time residence, just get a Michigan State ID card, then get a license to purchase and register one of your handguns so you are considered licenses for the Gun Free Schools Act. Then just carry on your Ohio CHL.

GONZO!!!

WWW.USACARRY.COM has a map of the U.S. ...click on each state and it will tell you what other states they recognize and to what degree. I live in Indiana and as far as I know (wit the exception of the schools) I can carry in Michigan now. Lately a lot of states are updating their policies regarding other states' CCW. I would never open carry in another state (just my personal preference).

GONZO!!!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
With a part time residence, just get a Michigan State ID card, then get a license to purchase and register one of your handguns so you are considered licenses for the Gun Free Schools Act. Then just carry on your Ohio CHL.
Based on his first post, I don't think he has an Ohio CHL, he mentioned have a non-resident license from another state.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
WWW.USACARRY.COM has a map of the U.S. ...click on each state and it will tell you what other states they recognize and to what degree. I live in Indiana and as far as I know (wit the exception of the schools) I can carry in Michigan now. Lately a lot of states are updating their policies regarding other states' CCW. I would never open carry in another state (just my personal preference).

GONZO!!!
I OCed all the way back and forth, from Michigan, to Indiana, until the Illinois border where things got put away before I crossed, then back again. Indiana honors my MI CPL, of course, the Peoples' Republic of Illinois doesn't allow it's non-LEO and non-Chicago Aldermen to protect themselves. Nor anyone else for that matter.