Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Legality of me having a handgun?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Orleans/Hammond Louisiana
    Posts
    2

    Legality of me having a handgun?

    Hi everyone, just to start off I'd like to say my name is Dillon and I'm from New Orleans I'm 18, love hunting and love guns. Well I have a Colt mk iv series 80 1911 and a Smith and Wesson M&P40 pro series. They usually stay in my safe unless I am going hunting or going to the range, but I am moving to Hammond this summer and plan on keeping one gun in my truck with me. I did some research and talk to some cops, but I feel like cops barely know the law anyway. Well I found this law....

    RS 14:95.8
    A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen to knowingly possess any handgun on his person.


    So I am pretty sure this means I am allowed to posses a handgun in my truck.

    What do you guys think? I was planning on making a copy of that law and keeping it in my truck in case I get stopped. Also when I get stopped should I go ahead and just tell them I have a weapon in the vehicle even if it is not on me.

    Thanks for all yalls help.

  2. #2
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMP40 View Post
    Hi everyone, just to start off I'd like to say my name is Dillon and I'm from New Orleans I'm 18, love hunting and love guns. Well I have a Colt mk iv series 80 1911 and a Smith and Wesson M&P40 pro series. They usually stay in my safe unless I am going hunting or going to the range, but I am moving to Hammond this summer and plan on keeping one gun in my truck with me. I did some research and talk to some cops, but I feel like cops barely know the law anyway. Well I found this law....

    RS 14:95.8
    A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen to knowingly possess any handgun on his person.


    So I am pretty sure this means I am allowed to posses a handgun in my truck.

    What do you guys think? I was planning on making a copy of that law and keeping it in my truck in case I get stopped. Also when I get stopped should I go ahead and just tell them I have a weapon in the vehicle even if it is not on me.

    Thanks for all yalls help.
    Dillon, you are over 18 so, barring any other restrictions such as you being a felon or a wife beater, you should be legally able to carry a firearm on your person as long as you don't try to conceal it or break any other laws such as carry it into a school zone, a government building or place which serves alcohol.
    Some LEOs will not be aware of the law and will try to tell you that you have to be 21 to have a weapon. They tried to tell my neice this when she called the police regarding a neighbor verbally threating her (neice was 20 yo). Even if they know the law they will often try to mislead or misinform you.
    Educate yourself, carry responsibly and carry safely.

    Usual disclaimer applies...I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. I'm a guy on the internet giving you advice. Take it for what it's worth and do your own research. The last thing your defense lawyer wants to hear is that, as you were being arrested for something you stated "But, Officer, some guy on the interwebz told be I could."
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Since you found the code I won't direct you there. As you don't understand the law you should consult a lawyer and/or legal guardian.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Orleans/Hammond Louisiana
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by sraacke View Post
    Dillon, you are over 18 so, barring any other restrictions such as you being a felon or a wife beater, you should be legally able to carry a firearm on your person as long as you don't try to conceal it or break any other laws such as carry it into a school zone, a government building or place which serves alcohol.
    Some LEOs will not be aware of the law and will try to tell you that you have to be 21 to have a weapon. They tried to tell my neice this when she called the police regarding a neighbor verbally threating her (neice was 20 yo). Even if they know the law they will often try to mislead or misinform you.
    Educate yourself, carry responsibly and carry safely.

    Usual disclaimer applies...I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. I'm a guy on the internet giving you advice. Take it for what it's worth and do your own research. The last thing your defense lawyer wants to hear is that, as you were being arrested for something you stated "But, Officer, some guy on the interwebz told be I could."
    Haha thanks for the help man. I just figured I would double check. I guess I should shoot my attorney an email and get her to look up every law I should memorize in case I do get stopped.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMP40 View Post
    Haha thanks for the help man. I just figured I would double check. I guess I should shoot my attorney an email and get her to look up every law I should memorize in case I do get stopped.
    You should spend as much time learning the laws relevant to weapons carry as you do training for its use. They are both important... terribly important.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 05-30-2012 at 08:11 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    you should spend as much time learning the laws relevant to weapons carry as you do training for its use. They are both important... Terribly important.
    so true.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    You should spend as much time learning the laws relevant to weapons carry as you do training for its use. They are both important... terribly important.
    and have a recorder that can hold at least 24 hours. When you leave the house OC the recorder should start.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •