• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of me having a handgun?

SWMP40

Hi everyone, just to start off I'd like to say my name is Dillon and I'm from New Orleans I'm 18, love hunting and love guns. Well I have a Colt mk iv series 80 1911 and a Smith and Wesson M&P40 pro series. They usually stay in my safe unless I am going hunting or going to the range, but I am moving to Hammond this summer and plan on keeping one gun in my truck with me. I did some research and talk to some cops, but I feel like cops barely know the law anyway. Well I found this law....

RS 14:95.8
A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen to knowingly possess any handgun on his person.

So I am pretty sure this means I am allowed to posses a handgun in my truck.

What do you guys think? I was planning on making a copy of that law and keeping it in my truck in case I get stopped. Also when I get stopped should I go ahead and just tell them I have a weapon in the vehicle even if it is not on me.

Thanks for all yalls help.

sraacke

Hi everyone, just to start off I'd like to say my name is Dillon and I'm from New Orleans I'm 18, love hunting and love guns. Well I have a Colt mk iv series 80 1911 and a Smith and Wesson M&P40 pro series. They usually stay in my safe unless I am going hunting or going to the range, but I am moving to Hammond this summer and plan on keeping one gun in my truck with me. I did some research and talk to some cops, but I feel like cops barely know the law anyway. Well I found this law....

RS 14:95.8
A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen to knowingly possess any handgun on his person.

So I am pretty sure this means I am allowed to posses a handgun in my truck.

What do you guys think? I was planning on making a copy of that law and keeping it in my truck in case I get stopped. Also when I get stopped should I go ahead and just tell them I have a weapon in the vehicle even if it is not on me.

Thanks for all yalls help.

Dillon, you are over 18 so, barring any other restrictions such as you being a felon or a wife beater, you should be legally able to carry a firearm on your person as long as you don't try to conceal it or break any other laws such as carry it into a school zone, a government building or place which serves alcohol.
Some LEOs will not be aware of the law and will try to tell you that you have to be 21 to have a weapon. They tried to tell my neice this when she called the police regarding a neighbor verbally threating her (neice was 20 yo). Even if they know the law they will often try to mislead or misinform you.
Educate yourself, carry responsibly and carry safely.

Usual disclaimer applies...I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. I'm a guy on the internet giving you advice. Take it for what it's worth and do your own research. The last thing your defense lawyer wants to hear is that, as you were being arrested for something you stated "But, Officer, some guy on the interwebz told be I could." :)

Daylen

Since you found the code I won't direct you there. As you don't understand the law you should consult a lawyer and/or legal guardian.

SWMP40

Dillon, you are over 18 so, barring any other restrictions such as you being a felon or a wife beater, you should be legally able to carry a firearm on your person as long as you don't try to conceal it or break any other laws such as carry it into a school zone, a government building or place which serves alcohol.
Some LEOs will not be aware of the law and will try to tell you that you have to be 21 to have a weapon. They tried to tell my neice this when she called the police regarding a neighbor verbally threating her (neice was 20 yo). Even if they know the law they will often try to mislead or misinform you.
Educate yourself, carry responsibly and carry safely.

Usual disclaimer applies...I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. I'm a guy on the internet giving you advice. Take it for what it's worth and do your own research. The last thing your defense lawyer wants to hear is that, as you were being arrested for something you stated "But, Officer, some guy on the interwebz told be I could." :)

Haha thanks for the help man. I just figured I would double check. I guess I should shoot my attorney an email and get her to look up every law I should memorize in case I do get stopped.

georg jetson

Haha thanks for the help man. I just figured I would double check. I guess I should shoot my attorney an email and get her to look up every law I should memorize in case I do get stopped.

You should spend as much time learning the laws relevant to weapons carry as you do training for its use. They are both important... terribly important.

Last edited:

Daylen

You should spend as much time learning the laws relevant to weapons carry as you do training for its use. They are both important... terribly important.

and have a recorder that can hold at least 24 hours. When you leave the house OC the recorder should start.