Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 120

Thread: Why are we knocking the CHP?

  1. #1
    Regular Member Lincoln7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Isle of Wight County, Virginia
    Posts
    143

    Why are we knocking the CHP?

    I know some of it may be humor. Some of it is a friendly reminder. But I am continually reading posts giving discussions about CHP's a difficult time. I understand that the name of the forum is Opencarry.org. But everyone else has to understand that CHP's allow individuals to better exercise their open carry rights.

    -Without a CHP I could not open carry within 1000' of school property in our state. (This would make life difficult for someone like me who lives within 1000' of school property.)
    -Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol with a magazine >20 rounds in certain localities that I frequent.
    -Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol that has a threaded barrel in certain localities that I frequent.
    -Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol inside of the Virginia Assembly building located in our state's capitol.
    -Without a CHP I could not purchase >1 FFL transferred handgun per 30 days which I intended to open carry(I know, not for long).

    I just felt I had to remind the individuals who frown upon CHP discussion here and that CHP's often hold their place among many of us on this forum. I am not bashing anyone here (and I hope not to be bashed ). You are, of course, allowed to disagree with me.

    *ETA: The answer to my question is post #106 (page 5 for me)*
    Last edited by Lincoln7; 06-04-2012 at 08:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    1,929
    Peter Nap, where are you?

  3. #3
    Regular Member Doogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    W. Hanover
    Posts
    34
    I was going to tell you to go create your own site, concealedcarry.org but it's taken.

    Here's an alternative for you but you probably already know: http://forum.carryconcealed.net/index.php

    <sigh>

  4. #4
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    you make some valid points. of course some i had to scratch my head on . but just remember that carrying a fire arm is a right being able to conceal it, is a privilege approved by the government
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  5. #5
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Peter Nap, where are you?
    I don't think peter nap knocks the CHP itself. My understanding (and I could be wrong, I'm sure he'll correct me if I am) is that his dislike is for the people who think that having a CHP makes them special.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Lincoln7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Isle of Wight County, Virginia
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    but just remember that carrying a fire arm is a right being able to conceal it, is a privilege approved by the government
    Agreed, but so are all the other firearm laws we deal with everyday.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    182
    You forgot one:

    With a CHP, I can remain armed when I drive unto school property to pick up my kids so long as I stay in the car, the car stays in the paved area, and the gun stays concealed.

    Would I like it to be legal to OP in a school parking lot? Yes.

    I would also like it to be legal to exit my vehicle and enter the school while remaining armed. But this was not even pushed this session.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    I don't think peter nap knocks the CHP itself. My understanding (and I could be wrong, I'm sure he'll correct me if I am) is that his dislike is for the people who think that having a CHP makes them special.
    That and he (and I.. a few others).. think that we should be able to do all those things WITHOUT a permission slip. And the more they give P4P "Perks4Permit holders, the further (maybe) we get away from Constitutional Carry.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Peter Nap was open carrying at bike night.
    Fenris, you're full of ****.

    I open carry within 1000 feet of a school every day and in fact, you didn't make one valid point at all.

    If you want a CHP, there's nothing wrong with that. If you want it to somehow make you better than those of us that don't want a permit state like Mary Land, you're going to have to live with getting bashed because you're worse than the anti's.

    Everything you listed is a perk for permit holders. Some I went along with over the years but arguments like you just posted have cured that. They will be a lot harder to come by from now on.

    This board is Opencarry.org and supposedly, it's dedicated to exercising our right to open carry, not the privilege of concealing with permission. Go somewhere that specializes in selling your soul to whine. I'm not interested.

  10. #10
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    That and he (and I.. a few others).. think that we should be able to do all those things WITHOUT a permission slip. And the more they give P4P "Perks4Permit holders, the further (maybe) we get away from Constitutional Carry.
    Right. Anytime you are required to ask permission of our employees to do something that is a fundamental and inherent right, it becomes a controlled right by virtue of the fact that it is now a privilege.

    Few could imagine a state requiring citizens to submit an application and receive a permit to freely practice their religion or to write letters to the editor of a newspaper or to lobby other employees for redress of grievances, but these same people have no problem with doing this to those who choose to carry arms. Strange and a bit queer. Where is the difference?
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    I was going to tell you to go create your own site, concealedcarry.org but it's taken.

    Here's an alternative for you but you probably already know: http://forum.carryconcealed.net/index.php

    <sigh>
    Thanks!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    I know some of it may be humor. Some of it is a friendly reminder. But I am continually reading posts giving discussions about CHP's a difficult time. I understand that the name of the forum is Opencarry.org. But everyone else has to understand that CHP's allow individuals to better exercise their open carry rights.

    -Without a CHP I could not open carry within 1000' of school property in our state. (This would make life difficult for someone like me who lives within 1000' of school property.)
    -Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol with a magazine >20 rounds in certain localities that I frequent.
    -Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol that has a threaded barrel in certain localities that I frequent.
    -Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol inside of the Virginia Assembly building located in our state's capitol.
    -Without a CHP I could not purchase >1 FFL transferred handgun per 30 days which I intended to open carry(I know, not for long).

    I just felt I had to remind the individuals who frown upon CHP discussion here and that CHP's often hold their place among many of us on this forum. I am not bashing anyone here (and I hope not to be bashed ). You are, of course, allowed to disagree with me.
    I don't know why all the bashing? maybe they have done something to prevent them from obtaining a permit and there super jealousJ/K
    I know I enjoy having a permit as there are just some places it's just not appropriate to have a gun on your hip plain as day around peoples children at the park for example. So yea I enjoy being able to cover it up with no worry about being arrested!

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    I don't know why all the bashing? maybe they have done something to prevent them from obtaining a permit and there super jealousJ/K
    I know I enjoy having a permit as there are just some places it's just not appropriate to have a gun on your hip plain as day around peoples children at the park for example. So yea I enjoy being able to cover it up with no worry about being arrested!
    Then why don't you make your 17th post somewhere else!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Then why don't you make your 17th post somewhere else!
    I could...... but I probably won't! I really am shocked by the way some people on here act though, sort of reminds me of high school "clicks" pretty stupid really! but thankfully not to many! You know how it goes, you got to wade through a sea of ***** to find a friend in this world!
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 05-31-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: language

  15. #15
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    I could...... but I probably won't! I really am shocked by the way some people on here act though, sort of reminds me of high school "clicks" pretty stupid really! but thankfully not to many! You know how it goes, you got to wade through a sea of d!cks to find a friend in this world!
    Keep looking, you might find a few stupid enough to buddy up!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Keep looking, you might find a few stupid enough to buddy up!
    Man I hope so!

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    Man I hope so!
    You joined VCDL yet?

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    I don't know why all the bashing? maybe they have done something to prevent them from obtaining a permit and there super jealousJ/K
    I know I enjoy having a permit as there are just some places it's just not appropriate to have a gun on your hip plain as day around peoples children at the park for example. So yea I enjoy being able to cover it up with no worry about being arrested!
    So just who, then, are we trying to convince that OCing is normal, non-threatening, and as legal as breathing in and out? Why is it not appropriate to OC around them? (That's a rhetorical question, unless you ant to both prove how foolish you are and get dope-slapped in a reply to any answer you provide.)

    Either it is a right and I can exercise that right anywhere there are not "reasonable restrictions" <hack, spit, curse> or it is not a right but a privilege that can be controlled by the whims, desires and feelings of anybody who gets all butt-hurt at seeing someone else taking responsibility for their life. I may have missed the memo saying that GroupThink was going to determine how we all behave, but I somehow think that it was not sent out at all.

    I'm not going to thrust my hip at folks at the park, walking down the sidewalk, at the grocery store or anywhere else so that they cannot help but notice that mot only am I thrusting my hip at them but that it has a handgun hanging off it. But I'm not going to hide that handgun just because somebody's panties might get wadded up if they saw my handgun on my hip.

    Your comment is about the same as someone saying "I'm all for the Second Amendment, and I'm even a member of the NRA, but ...." It's that "but" that we have to worry about. Which means that as long as you continue to maintain your stated position you are someone I (we) neeed to watch out for.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    So just who, then, are we trying to convince that OCing is normal, non-threatening, and as legal as breathing in and out? Why is it not appropriate to OC around them? (That's a rhetorical question, unless you ant to both prove how foolish you are and get dope-slapped in a reply to any answer you provide.)

    Either it is a right and I can exercise that right anywhere there are not "reasonable restrictions" <hack, spit, curse> or it is not a right but a privilege that can be controlled by the whims, desires and feelings of anybody who gets all butt-hurt at seeing someone else taking responsibility for their life. I may have missed the memo saying that GroupThink was going to determine how we all behave, but I somehow think that it was not sent out at all.

    I'm not going to thrust my hip at folks at the park, walking down the sidewalk, at the grocery store or anywhere else so that they cannot help but notice that mot only am I thrusting my hip at them but that it has a handgun hanging off it. But I'm not going to hide that handgun just because somebody's panties might get wadded up if they saw my handgun on my hip.

    Your comment is about the same as someone saying "I'm all for the Second Amendment, and I'm even a member of the NRA, but ...." It's that "but" that we have to worry about. Which means that as long as you continue to maintain your stated position you are someone I (we) neeed to watch out for.

    stay safe.
    I believe that is a right that "most" of us should have have(to carry period cc or oc), but I have received some ODD looks when taking my kids to the park(from mothers mainly) I enjoy open carry as much as the next guy! as I love the look of my firearm/holster and the conversations that always seem to arise when oc'ing! I got my permit because I could and sometimes I feel more comfortable cc'ing then oc'ing I just don't understand what everyone's pantie's get all bunched up whenever someone mentions cc'ing? maybe someone can inform me a little further.

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    I believe that is a right that "most" of us should have have(to carry period cc or oc), but I have received some ODD looks when taking my kids to the park(from mothers mainly) I enjoy open carry as much as the next guy! as I love the look of my firearm/holster and the conversations that always seem to arise when oc'ing! I got my permit because I could and sometimes I feel more comfortable cc'ing then oc'ing I just don't understand what everyone's pantie's get all bunched up whenever someone mentions cc'ing? maybe someone can inform me a little further.
    OK, I'll be happy to.

    First, there is no click, just people that believe in keeping Virginia a free state. Once that's lost and a permit is needed, it's damn hard to get back. Many of us spend a lot of money and time lobbying the General Assembly every year to insure it stays that way. I strongly suspect you're a transplant which is OK, as long as you respect the heritage of our state.

    Second, your smart assed remark about not being able to get one and we are jealous is so far off the mark it's absurd. A similar statement was made by one of the Tea Party people a few years ago. He didn't last long in the TP.
    Most here have a CHP. I let mine expire years ago and don't plan to ever renew it.
    There is nothing wrong with having one if you feel the need, but when you start expecting to be treated as a superior, it erodes the natural right we have.

    Now why the uproar over CHIPPERS....this is an Open Carry Site. Sure CHP's get discussed but as they relate to Open Carry.

    • (8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.


    I don't go to sites that are dedicated to knitting and expect to talk about auto repair.

    That pretty much sums it up!

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    I believe that is a right that "most" of us should have have(to carry period cc or oc), but I have received some ODD looks when taking my kids to the park(from mothers mainly) I enjoy open carry as much as the next guy! as I love the look of my firearm/holster and the conversations that always seem to arise when oc'ing! I got my permit because I could and sometimes I feel more comfortable cc'ing then oc'ing I just don't understand what everyone's pantie's get all bunched up whenever someone mentions cc'ing? maybe someone can inform me a little further.
    And I receive some odd looks because I am old, and more odd looks because I am crippled, and more odd looks when folks learn (especially first-hand) about my moral, philosophical and political beliefs. Some folks who, unlike me, do not glow in the dark, receive odd looks because of the color of their skin. Others receive odd looks because of the fact that they have (ur, depending on the locale, do not have) tattoos. Need I go on?

    Allowing the way others feel about you is surrending your freedom to those people. And many of them feel the way they do about firearms and people who have firearms for some of the most irrational and absurd reasons. Pwersonally, I will not be controlled by wjat others feel.

    If those mommies at the park see you on a regular basis, amd see that in spite of the fact that you have a gun openly carried on your hip you play with your kids just like they do, and hold conversations with folks just like they do, and generally behave just like they do except you wear a gun, the fact that you wear a gun stops being the main thing they notice/think.feel about you. It's what we refere to as "normalization".

    Your current behavior and attitude are working in direct opposition to that.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    OK, I'll be happy to.

    First, there is no click, just people that believe in keeping Virginia a free state. Once that's lost and a permit is needed, it's damn hard to get back. Many of us spend a lot of money and time lobbying the General Assembly every year to insure it stays that way. I strongly suspect you're a transplant which is OK, as long as you respect the heritage of our state.

    Second, your smart assed remark about not being able to get one and we are jealous is so far off the mark it's absurd. A similar statement was made by one of the Tea Party people a few years ago. He didn't last long in the TP.
    Most here have a CHP. I let mine expire years ago and don't plan to ever renew it.
    There is nothing wrong with having one if you feel the need, but when you start expecting to be treated as a superior, it erodes the natural right we have.

    Now why the uproar over CHIPPERS....this is an Open Carry Site. Sure CHP's get discussed but as they relate to Open Carry.

    • (8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.


    I don't go to sites that are dedicated to knitting and expect to talk about auto repair.

    That pretty much sums it up!

    well first off not a transplant, born here raised here married here had both my children here! second off about my "remark" IT WAS A JOKE hence the J/K at the end as I would think if you had lost the right to conceal you have probably lost the right to posses! As for keeping this state free I sure as hell hope so and NO I feel far from superior having a permit the only thing it does for me is help me feel a little more at ease about uppity LEO's and weather my shirt is covering too much of the butt of my weapon, I love OC'ing and that's the only way my wife carry's unless she has no belt on then her permit comes in handy as she just shoves it in her purse but I don't think she feels very superior either, but you must admit if you read after the first post on this thread it sounds like the taunting that occurs just before a schoolyard fight at recess!

    also I can not control the placement of this thread as I did not start it!
    Last edited by Goingdef; 05-31-2012 at 12:31 AM.

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Goingdef View Post
    well first off not a transplant, born here raised here married here had both my children here! second off about my "remark" IT WAS A JOKE hence the J/K at the end as I would think if you had lost the right to conceal you have probably lost the right to posses! As for keeping this state free I sure as hell hope so and NO I feel far from superior having a permit the only thing it does for me is help me feel a little more at ease about uppity LEO's and weather my shirt is covering too much of the butt of my weapon, I love OC'ing and that's the only way my wife carry's unless she has no belt on then her permit comes in handy as she just shoves it in her purse but I don't think she feels very superior either, but you must admit if you read after the first post on this thread it sounds like the taunting that occurs just before a schoolyard fight at recess!

    also I can not control the placement of this thread as I did not start it!
    Then....why are we having this discussion?

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Then....why are we having this discussion?
    I really don't know honestly?
    Have a Good rest of your Day!

  25. #25
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    OK, I'll be happy to.

    First, there is no click, just people that believe in keeping Virginia a free state. Once that's lost and a permit is needed, it's damn hard to get back. Many of us spend a lot of money and time lobbying the General Assembly every year to insure it stays that way. I strongly suspect you're a transplant which is OK, as long as you respect the heritage of our state.

    Second, your smart assed remark about not being able to get one and we are jealous is so far off the mark it's absurd. A similar statement was made by one of the Tea Party people a few years ago. He didn't last long in the TP.
    Most here have a CHP. I let mine expire years ago and don't plan to ever renew it.
    There is nothing wrong with having one if you feel the need, but when you start expecting to be treated as a superior, it erodes the natural right we have.

    Now why the uproar over CHIPPERS....this is an Open Carry Site. Sure CHP's get discussed but as they relate to Open Carry.

    • (8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.


    I don't go to sites that are dedicated to knitting and expect to talk about auto repair.

    That pretty much sums it up!
    Man have I been crying about this one for years. It's real bug in my craw when people come here from other parts of the country, or world, and expect Virginia to accommodate their ideas, culture, and traditions. Do this long enough and Virginia will cease to exist as Virginia.


    To Goingdef;

    I have a CHP and have had one since 1995 (was the second person to be issued one in the county in which I then lived when the state went shall issue). The reason I have the permit is, like you, for those times when I deem it to be in my better interests to conceal my little friend. Under the current law, that means I must have a CHP, though I would much prefer constitution carry.

    How we choose to carry is our business. What you might be seeing on these forums is due to the one-sided bias that CC'ers tend to hold against those who OC. This is something I do not understand since we are all in this together. But visit any CC website and you can bet you'll run across people blasting OC'ers and decrying them for potentially ruining it for everyone. And since this is an OC website, naturally we tend to defend that right. You will find that OC'ers are far more accepting of CC'ers than the other way around.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 05-31-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •