• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are we knocking the CHP?

Lincoln7

I know some of it may be humor. Some of it is a friendly reminder. But I am continually reading posts giving discussions about CHP's a difficult time. I understand that the name of the forum is Opencarry.org. But everyone else has to understand that CHP's allow individuals to better exercise their open carry rights.

-Without a CHP I could not open carry within 1000' of school property in our state. (This would make life difficult for someone like me who lives within 1000' of school property.)
-Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol with a magazine >20 rounds in certain localities that I frequent.
-Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol that has a threaded barrel in certain localities that I frequent.
-Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol inside of the Virginia Assembly building located in our state's capitol.
-Without a CHP I could not purchase >1 FFL transferred handgun per 30 days which I intended to open carry(I know, not for long).

I just felt I had to remind the individuals who frown upon CHP discussion here and that CHP's often hold their place among many of us on this forum. I am not bashing anyone here (and I hope not to be bashed :) ). You are, of course, allowed to disagree with me.

*ETA: The answer to my question is post #106 (page 5 for me)*

Last edited:

papa bear

you make some valid points. of course some i had to scratch my head on :confused:. but just remember that carrying a fire arm is a right being able to conceal it, is a privilege approved by the government

scouser

Peter Nap, where are you? :banana:

I don't think peter nap knocks the CHP itself. My understanding (and I could be wrong, I'm sure he'll correct me if I am) is that his dislike is for the people who think that having a CHP makes them special.

Fenris

You forgot one:

With a CHP, I can remain armed when I drive unto school property to pick up my kids so long as I stay in the car, the car stays in the paved area, and the gun stays concealed.

Would I like it to be legal to OP in a school parking lot? Yes.

I would also like it to be legal to exit my vehicle and enter the school while remaining armed. But this was not even pushed this session.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
I don't think peter nap knocks the CHP itself. My understanding (and I could be wrong, I'm sure he'll correct me if I am) is that his dislike is for the people who think that having a CHP makes them special.

That and he (and I.. a few others).. think that we should be able to do all those things WITHOUT a permission slip. And the more they give P4P "Perks4Permit holders, the further (maybe) we get away from Constitutional Carry.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter Nap was open carrying at bike night.
Fenris, you're full of ****.

I open carry within 1000 feet of a school every day and in fact, you didn't make one valid point at all.

If you want a CHP, there's nothing wrong with that. If you want it to somehow make you better than those of us that don't want a permit state like Mary Land, you're going to have to live with getting bashed because you're worse than the anti's.

Everything you listed is a perk for permit holders. Some I went along with over the years but arguments like you just posted have cured that. They will be a lot harder to come by from now on.

This board is Opencarry.org and supposedly, it's dedicated to exercising our right to open carry, not the privilege of concealing with permission. Go somewhere that specializes in selling your soul to whine. I'm not interested.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
That and he (and I.. a few others).. think that we should be able to do all those things WITHOUT a permission slip. And the more they give P4P "Perks4Permit holders, the further (maybe) we get away from Constitutional Carry.

Right. Anytime you are required to ask permission of our employees to do something that is a fundamental and inherent right, it becomes a controlled right by virtue of the fact that it is now a privilege.

Few could imagine a state requiring citizens to submit an application and receive a permit to freely practice their religion or to write letters to the editor of a newspaper or to lobby other employees for redress of grievances, but these same people have no problem with doing this to those who choose to carry arms. Strange and a bit queer. Where is the difference?

Goingdef

I know some of it may be humor. Some of it is a friendly reminder. But I am continually reading posts giving discussions about CHP's a difficult time. I understand that the name of the forum is Opencarry.org. But everyone else has to understand that CHP's allow individuals to better exercise their open carry rights.

-Without a CHP I could not open carry within 1000' of school property in our state. (This would make life difficult for someone like me who lives within 1000' of school property.)
-Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol with a magazine >20 rounds in certain localities that I frequent.
-Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol that has a threaded barrel in certain localities that I frequent.
-Without a CHP I could not open carry my pistol inside of the Virginia Assembly building located in our state's capitol.
-Without a CHP I could not purchase >1 FFL transferred handgun per 30 days which I intended to open carry(I know, not for long).

I just felt I had to remind the individuals who frown upon CHP discussion here and that CHP's often hold their place among many of us on this forum. I am not bashing anyone here (and I hope not to be bashed :) ). You are, of course, allowed to disagree with me.

I don't know why all the bashing? maybe they have done something to prevent them from obtaining a permit and there super jealous:cry:J/K
I know I enjoy having a permit as there are just some places it's just not appropriate to have a gun on your hip plain as day around peoples children at the park for example. So yea I enjoy being able to cover it up with no worry about being arrested!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know why all the bashing? maybe they have done something to prevent them from obtaining a permit and there super jealous:cry:J/K
I know I enjoy having a permit as there are just some places it's just not appropriate to have a gun on your hip plain as day around peoples children at the park for example. So yea I enjoy being able to cover it up with no worry about being arrested!

Then why don't you make your 17th post somewhere else!

Goingdef

Then why don't you make your 17th post somewhere else!

I could...... but I probably won't! I really am shocked by the way some people on here act though, sort of reminds me of high school "clicks" pretty stupid really! but thankfully not to many! You know how it goes, you got to wade through a sea of ***** to find a friend in this world!

Last edited by a moderator:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I could...... but I probably won't! I really am shocked by the way some people on here act though, sort of reminds me of high school "clicks" pretty stupid really! but thankfully not to many! You know how it goes, you got to wade through a sea of d!cks to find a friend in this world!

Keep looking, you might find a few stupid enough to buddy up!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

So just who, then, are we trying to convince that OCing is normal, non-threatening, and as legal as breathing in and out? Why is it not appropriate to OC around them? (That's a rhetorical question, unless you ant to both prove how foolish you are and get dope-slapped in a reply to any answer you provide.)

Either it is a right and I can exercise that right anywhere there are not "reasonable restrictions" <hack, spit, curse> or it is not a right but a privilege that can be controlled by the whims, desires and feelings of anybody who gets all butt-hurt at seeing someone else taking responsibility for their life. I may have missed the memo saying that GroupThink was going to determine how we all behave, but I somehow think that it was not sent out at all.

I'm not going to thrust my hip at folks at the park, walking down the sidewalk, at the grocery store or anywhere else so that they cannot help but notice that mot only am I thrusting my hip at them but that it has a handgun hanging off it. But I'm not going to hide that handgun just because somebody's panties might get wadded up if they saw my handgun on my hip.

Your comment is about the same as someone saying "I'm all for the Second Amendment, and I'm even a member of the NRA, but ...." It's that "but" that we have to worry about. Which means that as long as you continue to maintain your stated position you are someone I (we) neeed to watch out for.:uhoh:

stay safe.

Goingdef

So just who, then, are we trying to convince that OCing is normal, non-threatening, and as legal as breathing in and out? Why is it not appropriate to OC around them? (That's a rhetorical question, unless you ant to both prove how foolish you are and get dope-slapped in a reply to any answer you provide.)

Either it is a right and I can exercise that right anywhere there are not "reasonable restrictions" <hack, spit, curse> or it is not a right but a privilege that can be controlled by the whims, desires and feelings of anybody who gets all butt-hurt at seeing someone else taking responsibility for their life. I may have missed the memo saying that GroupThink was going to determine how we all behave, but I somehow think that it was not sent out at all.

I'm not going to thrust my hip at folks at the park, walking down the sidewalk, at the grocery store or anywhere else so that they cannot help but notice that mot only am I thrusting my hip at them but that it has a handgun hanging off it. But I'm not going to hide that handgun just because somebody's panties might get wadded up if they saw my handgun on my hip.

Your comment is about the same as someone saying "I'm all for the Second Amendment, and I'm even a member of the NRA, but ...." It's that "but" that we have to worry about. Which means that as long as you continue to maintain your stated position you are someone I (we) neeed to watch out for.:uhoh:

stay safe.

I believe that is a right that "most" of us should have have(to carry period cc or oc), but I have received some ODD looks when taking my kids to the park(from mothers mainly) I enjoy open carry as much as the next guy! as I love the look of my firearm/holster and the conversations that always seem to arise when oc'ing! I got my permit because I could and sometimes I feel more comfortable cc'ing then oc'ing I just don't understand what everyone's pantie's get all bunched up whenever someone mentions cc'ing? maybe someone can inform me a little further.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I believe that is a right that "most" of us should have have(to carry period cc or oc), but I have received some ODD looks when taking my kids to the park(from mothers mainly) I enjoy open carry as much as the next guy! as I love the look of my firearm/holster and the conversations that always seem to arise when oc'ing! I got my permit because I could and sometimes I feel more comfortable cc'ing then oc'ing I just don't understand what everyone's pantie's get all bunched up whenever someone mentions cc'ing? maybe someone can inform me a little further.

OK, I'll be happy to.

First, there is no click, just people that believe in keeping Virginia a free state. Once that's lost and a permit is needed, it's damn hard to get back. Many of us spend a lot of money and time lobbying the General Assembly every year to insure it stays that way. I strongly suspect you're a transplant which is OK, as long as you respect the heritage of our state.

Second, your smart assed remark about not being able to get one and we are jealous is so far off the mark it's absurd. A similar statement was made by one of the Tea Party people a few years ago. He didn't last long in the TP.
Most here have a CHP. I let mine expire years ago and don't plan to ever renew it.
There is nothing wrong with having one if you feel the need, but when you start expecting to be treated as a superior, it erodes the natural right we have.

Now why the uproar over CHIPPERS....this is an Open Carry Site. Sure CHP's get discussed but as they relate to Open Carry.

• (8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

I don't go to sites that are dedicated to knitting and expect to talk about auto repair.

That pretty much sums it up!