• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you think open carrying makes you more or less of a target?

OC for ME

agreed - kind of

it is the people that never train but just think all they have to do is put it in their pocket should not be carrying

if you are going to carry then at least do the world a favor and train how to use it and keep regular training schedules

this is why you never see the military just hand you a gun and put you in the field and say good luck

either take the time to properly train or never carry

as for the being a target thing - i see when i carry my ak 47 bayonet even these drunks that pan handle will leave me alone and a lot use asking for a cigarette or dollar as the get close to you excuse to rob you

when not carrying my bayonet i never get far and it is one pan handle after another
We once a quarter maintained proficency. Not really what I'd call 'regular training'. Sling a gunbelt on the hip to stand watch and that is about all we did. Only time the pistol or shotgun was loaded was on the range and then for only the minimum number of rounds to stay qualified. Most folks in the military get the same exposure to guns.

If you know how to load, point, fire and then clean without killing yourself or another unitentionally you are just as qualified as most cops and most soldiers/sailors/airmen.

I'm glad folks choose to carry at all. Then again, most folks are prepared for the home but choose to go unprotected once they leave the home. No biggie this is what liberty and personal responsibility is all about.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
agreed - kind of

it is the people that never train but just think all they have to do is put it in their pocket should not be carrying

if you are going to carry then at least do the world a favor and train how to use it and keep regular training schedules

this is why you never see the military just hand you a gun and put you in the field and say good luck

either take the time to properly train or never carry

as for the being a target thing - i see when i carry my ak 47 bayonet even these drunks that pan handle will leave me alone and a lot use asking for a cigarette or dollar as the get close to you excuse to rob you

when not carrying my bayonet i never get far and it is one pan handle after another

Training is good. A lot of training is better.

HOWEVER - the right to defend your life should not be limited to a higher standard. Will you be held accountable for how you conduct yourself and where any shots go? Of course.

No need to answer - should a person have to receive training with a bayonet before being allowed to carry one? hmmmm?

twoskinsonemanns

HOWEVER - the right to defend your life should not be limited to a higher standard

Excellent. I do get a little tired of hearing the question posed "Do you want untrained people carrying guns?"

Yes get as much training as you can afford and feel you need. But it should not be part of a 2A discussion.
It may be ill advised, but if some one wants to buy a mouse gun, put it in their purse/pocket and the first time they shoot it is at someone trying to rape/kill them..... That's their right.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Excellent. I do get a little tired of hearing the question posed "Do you want untrained people carrying guns?"

Yes get as much training as you can afford and feel you need. But it should not be part of a 2A discussion.
It may be ill advised, but if some one wants to buy a mouse gun, put it in their purse/pocket and the first time they shoot it is at someone trying to rape/kill them..... That's their right.

The goal, my goal, is quite simply Constitutional Carry from sea to shining sea. I think best accomplished each state individually - the momentum is building.

jamieg

HOWEVER - the right to defend your life should not be limited to a higher standard. Will you be held accountable for how you conduct yourself and where any shots go? Of course.

No need to answer - should a person have to receive training with a bayonet before being allowed to carry one? hmmmm?

there is a difference in a bayonet and a gun

you can kill a person accidentally a lot easier with a gun

the training is really to not have these people that do all kinds of stupid things and do not even know how to use their gun but go around thinking they are the complete navy seals

people do stupid things - period and training is the way to get the stupid thinking out of their way of doing things

does not need to be a full military training but a regular practice and actually know how to use it and hit what you want

even training every few months is better than a leave the store and 15 minutes after buying the gun you think you can be rambo to stop a robbery

it is when you do not know how to use your gun and not ever practice to hit what you want is where you are the danger -

not trying to troll but i like to know a person around me has at least basic training for how to use what they carry - even if it is a class from a gun store and going to the range for practice every couple weeks or so

people think all people are responsible but there are stupid people that go around being rambo and think they know how to use it just because they buy a gun - those are the people that should not be carrying

and yes these are also the kinds of people that go out and do stupid dangerous crap for fun - like shooting stuff bets while drunk

we just need a balance of people with common sense carry but not even basic common sense then a lot more than guns to keep you away from

this is not anti gun but anti arming the common sense impaired

WalkingWolf

there is a difference in a bayonet and a gun

you can kill a person accidentally a lot easier with a gun

the training is really to not have these people that do all kinds of stupid things and do not even know how to use their gun but go around thinking they are the complete navy seals

people do stupid things - period and training is the way to get the stupid thinking out of their way of doing things

does not need to be a full military training but a regular practice and actually know how to use it and hit what you want

even training every few months is better than a leave the store and 15 minutes after buying the gun you think you can be rambo to stop a robbery

it is when you do not know how to use your gun and not ever practice to hit what you want is where you are the danger -

not trying to troll but i like to know a person around me has at least basic training for how to use what they carry - even if it is a class from a gun store and going to the range for practice every couple weeks or so

people think all people are responsible but there are stupid people that go around being rambo and think they know how to use it just because they buy a gun - those are the people that should not be carrying

and yes these are also the kinds of people that go out and do stupid dangerous crap for fun - like shooting stuff bets while drunk

we just need a balance of people with common sense carry but not even basic common sense then a lot more than guns to keep you away from

this is not anti gun but anti arming the common sense impaired

Have you thought about just staying home all the time... Then you know who is around you, and their training.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When someone introduces lack of training and correlates it with "Rambo" like responses, I have to question the entire argument as being built on extreme maybe/might be's. Personally I deal in facts, not hoplophobic feelings.

I have never met a real life Rambo. How many of them do you think are out there? :uhoh: Thousands? Hundreds? Ten? One?

jamieg

Have you thought about just staying home all the time... Then you know who is around you, and their training.

staying home does not work either

i am not wanting to argue - only make a point

people --- forget --- about the common sense impaired

those people are the ones that think they are the navy seals just because they have a gun

no arguing

seems convenient to ignore the fact there is people that like to get drunk and do stupid stunts with guns and other stuff

carrying a gun is ok - just do like other things and take away that ability for those that do not even show basic common sense and go around thinking just owning a gun makes them a commando on a mission

again - no arguing and not trolling --- just making a point about people are generally stupid

if you have common sense then you should be able to carry but if you are a danger because basic common sense is a thing you do not have then you are a danger even by owning a car --- let a opinion be a opinion and drop it

adding - it is a right to drive a car but to be allowed then you have to show you learned how to drive and you have things that happen when you do stupid stuff that takes away your right to drive --- your lack of common sense takes driving away and weapons should be the same way

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

those people are the ones that think they are the navy seals just because they have a gun

no arguing

seems convenient to ignore the fact there is people that like to get drunk and do stupid stunts with guns and other stuff

carrying a gun is ok - just do like other things and take away that ability for those that do not even show basic common sense and go around thinking just owning a gun makes them a commando on a mission

again - no arguing and not trolling --- just making a point about people are generally stupid

if you have common sense then you should be able to carry but if you are a danger because basic common sense is a thing you do not have then you are a danger even by owning a car --- let a opinion be a opinion and drop it

That sir is not a simply an opinion - it is an attack on the character of members of this site and on LAC everywhere. You make spurious accusations, inditing those you don't know and assigning to them your fears.

Before you require a "common sense" test for those that support the 2nd Amendment, perhaps you should more responsibly exercise your privilege here which IMO you are close to harming. I find this entire avenue, particularly the verbiage used, quite strange and repugnant.

cshoff

no arguing

adding - it is a right to drive a car but to be allowed then you have to show you learned how to drive and you have things that happen when you do stupid stuff that takes away your right to drive --- your lack of common sense takes driving away and weapons should be the same way

Jamie - I hate to break it to you, but neither you, nor I, nor anyone else gets to be the arbiter of what dictates enough "common sense" that others must have in order to be able to enjoy and exercise their God-given, Constitutionally protected rights. When we start advocating for our PERSONAL standards to be used as a dictate to what others may or may not do, we will quickly find ourselves the subject of the same treatment from others who don't feel we meet their personal standards.

The truth is, we already have plenty of laws in place to deal with folks who do something careless or negligent with a firearm. Instituting more red tape will do nothing more to deter bad behavior, that our existing laws haven't already done.

mwaterous

. First of all, FYI, I carry both ways....Second, this is an opinion blog...if you don't agree with other people's opinions, go to a cooking blog...you can disagree without putting your head in your......third...I belong to a gun club and have been to many ranges in my time, and know, that half the people out there talk a big game, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn......fourth....not all criminals are leps, some are professionals.....I would pity the day, if you were standing in a bank, or some other business that was being robbed by a professional or professionals.......they see YOU with a firearm at your side, and they will shoot you without hesitation right between your eyes before you could even think about drawing your weapon. I am not ripping OC'ing at all, I just take all situations into consideration. Do you have any depth of experience having a firearm pointed at you? If you do, I bow to your superiority, if not, think first before you talk. I have seen alot of OC'ers that talk alot, but they talk better than they shoot.

Never fear! Next time you're in a bank and men in clown masks rob it, first of all the bad a** bank manager is going to rock their worlds with his shotgun, and if that doesn't work for you, a couple days later Bruce Wayne will catch the only remaining survivor in what appears to be an abandoned construction project.

Yes, there are professionals out there. Know why they're professionals? They're not stupid. If you're in the one in 3,500,324 banks they rob every 12.3 years (because they were all unable to make the after hours robbery), then you MAY just be in trouble.

Ahhh, I'm an idjit. I just responded to a post from the 22nd of last month... oh well. My opinion, lowly as it is, still stands.

Last edited:

mwaterous

Really? He (gutshot) came up with a really well thought out and to the point post, and your best defense is accusing him of doing what a few of us suspect you of doing? No actual debate... no counterpoints, no citation of fact proving your case? You might want to skip the debate team next time. If you think concealed carry is the way to a peaceful world... well.. I've got news for you; until every single last weapon on this planet is destroyed I will carry one, and openly so that people know if they come at me they may have to work a little hard at it. Since lazyness is one of our worst sins, I have much less worry of ever finding myself in a position where I have to use it. Furthermore, if we manage to rid the world of projectile weapons, I will carry a sword. If we forget how to make blades, I will drag my club around with me. When we finally find this peaceful utopia we all would love to have, it won't be because we hid the weapons under our coats.

mwaterous

Wait, what? "You and gutshot" makes me wonder if you read either post before responding... or... anything for that matter. I'm new here, just like yourself. I don't know who gutshot is, I just know he (or she) made what I believe to be a valid statement in this particular thread. I believe your response was lacking in anything that supported your own opinion, it was merely an attack on his (or hers). I have no problem with you having an opinion, I just don't see you backing it up.

jamieg

Wait, what? "You and gutshot" makes me wonder if you read either post before responding... or... anything for that matter. I'm new here, just like yourself. I don't know who gutshot is, I just know he (or she) made what I believe to be a valid statement in this particular thread. I believe your response was lacking in anything that supported your own opinion, it was merely an attack on his (or hers). I have no problem with you having an opinion, I just don't see you backing it up.

i guess i need to a billion dollar study to have the facts to have a opinion in this world just to back up my --- opinion

i guess i also should have a study done to back up my opinion why i like to buy one candy bar over another

opinions are opinions and people need to get off it and quit with the we want proof to let you have a opinion crap

drop it

twisting my words out of context to prove his point is not a valid post

he is trying to take a original thing of some people think and some people have a kind of attitude to make me sound like saying to be true of all people

taking things out of context to argue with is not a valid point by any actual --- oh my never go there ever ever ever --- common sense

mwaterous

i guess i need to a billion dollar study to have the facts to have a opinion in this world just to back up my --- opinion

No, you don't. All you have to have is an opinion. All I'm saying is we should discuss the opinion, not the people. My opinion is that it doesn't make you any more of a target, and that conceal carry is an acceptable alternative for those who wish to defend themselves without announcing that they can, and I hope those that choose it over open carry never find themselves in need of that extra two tenths of a second (I mean that truly). If you have any questions about my opinion, or believe I am wrong in some way, please feel free to express why and I'll do my best to delve deeper.

bellyfat

cease fire

well i suppose none of you ever stopped to think that, alot of anti gun folks may be reading theese rants.
why dont you folks debate this in private email? ....tha laundry stinks.

twoskinsonemanns

I disagree. Defending yourself is a right. The founders of this country believed it to be a right given by god and so affirmed the right in the 2A.

People have to live with that. You can start qualifying and conditioning that right but you would be wrong. The training arguement is no more valid than all the other obsurd restrictions.... You can defend your self BUUUUTTT.... Not with a gun that holds more than 10 rounds, not with a gun with a removable magazine, not with a rifle whose barrel is shorter than 16", not with a gun that has a removable muzzle device, not with bullets deemed "cop killers", not if jamieg doesn't find your common sense up to par, not if you don't have regularly scheduled training....

Everyman has the right to defend.

tcox4freedom

I disagree. Defending yourself is a right. The founders of this country believed it to be a right given by god and so affirmed the right in the 2A.

People have to live with that. You can start qualifying and conditioning that right but you would be wrong. The training arguement is no more valid than all the other obsurd restrictions.... You can defend your self BUUUUTTT.... Not with a gun that holds more than 10 rounds, not with a gun with a removable magazine, not with a rifle whose barrel is shorter than 16", not with a gun that has a removable muzzle device, not with bullets deemed "cop killers", not if jamieg doesn't find your common sense up to par, not if you don't have regularly scheduled training....

Everyman has the right to defend.

Great Post!
Plus 1+

WalkingWolf

[video=youtube;yD8eAUl9tvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD8eAUl9tvc&feature=related[/video]

DISCLAIMER: No untrained firearms were used in the processing of McDonalds Chickens.

Hef

Predators tend to avoid attacking targets that are likely to fight back. There are exceptions to the rule, but the overwhelming majority of criminals will target small people, people who convey a lack of confidence, people who are not paying attention, sick people, old people, handicapped people, and women.

An openly carried firearm, combined with confidence and situational awareness, is likely to keep you from
becoming a target.