• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you think open carrying makes you more or less of a target?

UATKP

I resemble that remark!!! :eek:)

Bottom line......Those who don't want to OC are chick'n!!! :cool:

Enjoy life, OC and confuse a BG! :)

I'm not chick'n. I'm smart. I'm old... too old to fight anymore... so here's my 2 cents worth: I am certainly for both - Open Carry and Concealed Carry - do one or the other-- just be armed!
I live in Texas, so the only place I normally open carry is on my own property; otherwise I conceal carry. Now. If I go across the Red River into Oklahoma I could open carry, but I probably won't. If some young punk sees it, and decided to take my gun away from me, I might not be strong enough to keep him from it. That being said, I won't be frequenting places that might be more conducive to that event, but a lot of crap takes place in places like parking lots at Walmart and/or the mall. If I were younger and as much of a scrapper as I used to be, I'd be carrying openly when authorized... but I'm not. So, I'll just keep carrying concealed, and try to maintain my attitude of awareness. And I will be very happy to see others open carrying all the while. :eek:)

WalkingWolf

I'm not chick'n. I'm smart. I'm old... too old to fight anymore... so here's my 2 cents worth: I am certainly for both - Open Carry and Concealed Carry - do one or the other-- just be armed!
I live in Texas, so the only place I normally open carry is on my own property; otherwise I conceal carry. Now. If I go across the Red River into Oklahoma I could open carry, but I probably won't. If some young punk sees it, and decided to take my gun away from me, I might not be strong enough to keep him from it. That being said, I won't be frequenting places that might be more conducive to that event, but a lot of crap takes place in places like parking lots at Walmart and/or the mall. If I were younger and as much of a scrapper as I used to be, I'd be carrying openly when authorized... but I'm not. So, I'll just keep carrying concealed, and try to maintain my attitude of awareness. And I will be very happy to see others open carrying all the while. :eek:)
Could you please cite some instances of gun grabs in Walmart parking lots or the mall?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Could you please cite some instances of gun grabs in Walmart parking lots or the mall?

WalkingWolf, read what I wrote: I said, a lot of crap happens in WalMart and Mall parking lots. Exegete, man.

UATKP - Could you please cite some instances of gun grabs anywhere?

Only in modern times; in the USA; not LEO, security officer, or military; genuine BG snatching LAC gun.

I'm somewhat north of retirement age, OC 24/7 and have for a large number of years - never personally experienced this problem. Wonder why not?

Last edited:

NoTolerance

You OC while sleeping and showering? That's dedication, man! :lol:

To the original topic: While I think it's true that anyone could be a target, I do feel certain types of people are targeted more frequently. Could OCing make you less of an appealing target? I suppose one could reason that it should, but I think that relies on the supposition that criminals are a) smart and b) observant.

I would like to know how many people actually notice my firearm when I'm OCing. If I had to make a completely unscientific guess based purely on the number of stares and/or second-glances I personally notice, I'd guess less than 5%.

FreeInAZ

Since you must conceal when out and about doesn't that make you more of a target? Your state seems to prevent you from having the same level of protection it gives to law enforcement? Wow, that's not right! See there are always different ways at looking at things. If I was the type of Dirt-Bag you are talking about that stalks people at Wal-Mart ( yet to be cited), who do you think I am going to try and rob: the old guy who appears to be unarmed and helpless or the old guy who's wearing a colt commander and looks like he knows how to use it? In my opinion, CCing can make you just as much of a target, because the bad guy doesn't know your armed. When I OC I also CC that way should some goof try to grab the pistol in the Level II or Level III retention holster I can fall back to my CC pistol and send him/her it on their merry way to the hospital or the undertaker. :eek:

The short of these hypothetical scenarios is this - the vast majority of bad guys are just like you & I in the fact that most of them want to go home at the end of the day alive. The weak are their focus, not the strong in my life experience. Carry on safely. :D

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This is saying that it's technically impossible. If you introduce an argument that requires "infinite futures and universes" to happen, you have successfully stated that it's impossible. Until evidence arises that there are in fact infinite universes you are saying it cannot happen....

Forgive the hyperbole. I thought it was obvious. It is the mythical status of these arguments that is completely debunked while still acknowledging that one can win the lottery, twice.

snubbyfan

Welcome to the forum!

Spend as much time as you can perusing OCDO, particular your home state and maybe Virginia too if you travel here frequently. Please do read our Forum Rules - nothing terribly unusual there, but will help you avoid common pitfalls.

Yes, OC is not only legal here, but it works! OC advertises that you will NOT be a willing victim + educates others as to the legal condition. Then too, it is sooo liberating. :D

Did you notice that BGs hide their guns (conceal them) until they elect to threaten or harm someone and almost never (ever?) carry in a holster? hmmmm.

BTW - I don't care whether you OC, CC, or noC - that is your personal decision. Just do not willing allow anything that will negatively impact my/our ability to make the same personal choice.

The reason I'm leery of open carry is because years ago, I was hassled by the police and accused of being a drug trafficker because of my appearance, I'm of Native American descent so I have long hair and dark skin, I also wear a beaded necklace with a handcarved bone arrowhead and a small silver tomahawk earring. I could just imagine how unpleasant it would have been if I had a gun on my hip.
I do carry concealed now, due to threats made against me and my family by certain racist hate groups. I've got my permit so it's legal.
However, the threats and vandalism stopped the day after I told my neighbor of my problems and that I had armed myself against escalation. I then lifted my shirt and showed him my snubby. Word must have gotten around because people in town are so nice now. I still carry concealed around town but I don't try too hard to keep from printing.
Thinking of taking the next step and openly carrying a 4" stainless S&W .357 Magnum in a paddle holster. Or, will that cause too many hassles?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I still carry concealed around town but I don't try too hard to keep from printing.
Thinking of taking the next step and openly carrying a 4" stainless S&W .357 Magnum in a paddle holster. Or, will that cause too many hassles?

If you think about it; which looks more "criminal?" A concealed handgun that gets noticed, or an openly carried handgun?

WalkingWolf

The reason I'm leery of open carry is because years ago, I was hassled by the police and accused of being a drug trafficker because of my appearance, I'm of Native American descent so I have long hair and dark skin, I also wear a beaded necklace with a handcarved bone arrowhead and a small silver tomahawk earring. I could just imagine how unpleasant it would have been if I had a gun on my hip.
I do carry concealed now, due to threats made against me and my family by certain racist hate groups. I've got my permit so it's legal.
However, the threats and vandalism stopped the day after I told my neighbor of my problems and that I had armed myself against escalation. I then lifted my shirt and showed him my snubby. Word must have gotten around because people in town are so nice now. I still carry concealed around town but I don't try too hard to keep from printing.

Welcome to OCDO brother, if it helps take small steps OCing until you feel confident. I have been OCing most of my life, I too have long hair, dress in jeans, though I never wear jewelry even native. I never get a second look not even in places like Cary, or Fayetteville, towns with populations that are not from NC. As far as the .357 go for it. I usually carry a 51 Navy 5.5 inch 38 spl in a Tom Threepersons holster, with a J frame BUG in a crossdraw. I find it odd that you get grief for being NA, hold your head high.

snubbyfan

Welcome to OCDO brother, if it helps take small steps OCing until you feel confident. I have been OCing most of my life, I too have long hair, dress in jeans, though I never wear jewelry even native. I never get a second look not even in places like Cary, or Fayetteville, towns with populations that are not from NC. As far as the .357 go for it. I usually carry a 51 Navy 5.5 inch 38 spl in a Tom Threepersons holster, with a J frame BUG in a crossdraw. I find it odd that you get grief for being NA, hold your head high.
I think the grief comes more from the fact that I'm married to a white woman. Apparently, the Hillbillies don't approve.
I didn't wear any jewelry either until after 911. I lived in the Wash. DC area and if you weren't white, Latino, Asian or African American and you had dark skin you were treated like a terrorist. The jewelry was a way of showing racial identity.

Mac, I wondered that too. Which appears more criminal, an open carried Magnum or a concealed carried snubby peaking out from under a cover garment?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Mac, I wondered that too. Which appears more criminal, an open carried Magnum or a concealed carried snubby peaking out from under a cover garment?

The latter, by far. Not even in the movies do the bad guys stroll around with openly holstered sidearms.

And you're going to get so hooked on the comfort and security of carrying the former, that you'll want to change your username here.

Last edited:

eye95

OCDO is perfect for you. You can get together with carriers in your area and work into being confident about OC and what to do in the event of an unlawful stop. Don't feel like you have to OC. We support CC, OC, and no-C here. It's all about Liberty and choice. We want you to have the ability to choose OC if you wish. We want to help you overcome obstacles to that choice.

Welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OCDO is perfect for you. You can get together with carriers in your area and work into being confident about OC and what to do in the event of an unlawful stop. Don't feel like you have to OC. We support CC, OC, and no-C here. It's all about Liberty and choice. We want you to have the ability to choose OC if you wish. We want to help you overcome obstacles to that choice.

Well almost so Eye.

We promote and defend (support) OC here with exclusivity. CC even being off-topic generally. Not to say CC can't be mentioned or addressed though as that come under the RKBA umbrella.

What we are adamant about however, is that it is each individual's right to choose how they carry. It is not for us or anyone else to demand that everyone carry in the same manner. So to that degree we support OC, CC, & even noC equally.

UATKP

UATKP - Could you please cite some instances of gun grabs anywhere?

Only in modern times; in the USA; not LEO, security officer, or military; genuine BG snatching LAC gun.

I'm somewhat north of retirement age, OC 24/7 and have for a large number of years - never personally experienced this problem. Wonder why not?

Since you must conceal when out and about doesn't that make you more of a target? Your state seems to prevent you from having the same level of protection it gives to law enforcement? Wow, that's not right! See there are always different ways at looking at things. If I was the type of Dirt-Bag you are talking about that stalks people at Wal-Mart ( yet to be cited), who do you think I am going to try and rob: the old guy who appears to be unarmed and helpless or the old guy who's wearing a colt commander and looks like he knows how to use it? In my opinion, CCing can make you just as much of a target, because the bad guy doesn't know your armed. When I OC I also CC that way should some goof try to grab the pistol in the Level II or Level III retention holster I can fall back to my CC pistol and send him/her it on their merry way to the hospital or the undertaker. :eek:
The short of these hypothetical scenarios is this - the vast majority of bad guys are just like you & I in the fact that most of them want to go home at the end of the day alive. The weak are their focus, not the strong in my life experience. Carry on safely. :D

Look, people, I didn't write that I had seen, knew of, or read about anyone getting their gun grabbed, anywhere. I have read about and heard about different occurrences where people have been mugged in certain Walmart parking lots, but that's neither here nor there. As far as citing exact writings or tv announcements... you'll just have to take my word for it, or discount it. I don't really care which.
I just made a comment about why I don't Open Carry at this particular age in my life, and if you don't like the way I said it, or my reasoning for it, makes no difference to me. I just made a comment. Deal with it.

WalkingWolf

Look, people, I didn't write that I had seen, knew of, or read about anyone getting their gun grabbed, anywhere. I have read about and heard about different occurrences where people have been mugged in certain Walmart parking lots, but that's neither here nor there. As far as citing exact writings or tv announcements... you'll just have to take my word for it, or discount it. I don't really care which.
I just made a comment about why I don't Open Carry at this particular age in my life, and if you don't like the way I said it, or my reasoning for it, makes no difference to me. I just made a comment. Deal with it.

NO, we will not have to take your word for it~~citing is part of how we do things here, it is even in the rules. I suspect that a moderator will be along shortly to cite the rule for you.

eye95

"Discount it" is kinda weak.

Let me be blunt. I don't believe you. It's that simple. I've been here long enough to see poster after poster fail to document OCers being targeted or having their gun grabbed. So excuse me for saying, I just don't believe you.

<o>

UATKP

"Discount it" is kinda weak.

Let me be blunt. I don't believe you. It's that simple. I've been here long enough to see poster after poster fail to document OCers being targeted or having their gun grabbed. So excuse me for saying, I just don't believe you.

<o>
Do you know what exegete means? Read my original post. Read out of it. Don't read into it. I didn't say I'd seen any OCers being targeted, and I didn't say that I'd seen any OCers getting their gun grabbed, and therefore, I didn't need to document it.
And really... I don't care what you do or do not believe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

UATKP - no is telling you that you should or must OC - that is your personal choice and were are fine with that.

Still your allegorical/generic reasons are unsupported by facts. BGs will chose the weaker appearing victim. Doubt that many would say that OC makes anyone look weak. To the contrary, it makes a statement that the OCer is ready and able to put up a credible defense.

One should never be offended at a call to cite. That is what makes OCDO strong and yes it is in the rules.

Insofar as "deal with it" goes, you might want to take a breath and not lecture from your newly filled chair. If you expect to be taken seriously, it doesn't add to your value to say "I really don't care much."

I can tell you I do care and I do deal with things when they get out of hand, but at this point I think you are just a new guy that has suffered an imagined slight. Relax and go to the range, you'll feel better in the morning. :)

Last edited:

eye95

I have read your post. You said that you worried about some punk grabbing your gun and that you heard about things happening in Walmart parking lots, clearly implying that you heard about such things happening. BS got called and the back pedaling started. I still place zero credence in your posts. If something needs dealing with, I'd say that's it.

Moving on.

Last edited: