Thread: Open Carry in a Wedding Chapel

Open Carry in a Wedding Chapel

We are going to a wedding Saturday night at a chapel on the strip and of course want to carry. Are there any rules against carrying in a wedding chapel or special provisions that need to be taken into account? I know that if you want to carry at a church you need the pastors permission to carry there, do they consider the wedding chapel to be a church?

No restrictions "legally". You don't really need to ask the preacher for permission. But just as any other private property, they can ask you to lock your firearm in your car or leave.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 05-30-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    Hoka hey

There's no legal restriction on churches or chapels. Only restriction that might come up is if there's a licensed day care on premises.

Quote Originally Posted by DooFstersGirl View Post
    ...if you want to carry at a church you need the pastors permission to carry there...
    Only in the same way that you need the Wal-Mart manager's permission to carry while shopping. It is implied unless you are asked to leave.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Is it a shotgun wedding?

I have to ask how you think you need a pastors permission? Did a instructor tell you that?

That's how I was raised when growing up in Michigan. Before my father carried his gun in our home church, he (out of respect) got the pastor and the board's permission to have it in there... Plus I believe it is Michigan law to ask... Please don't quote me on it.
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by DooFster View Post
    That's how I was raised when growing up in Michigan. Before my father carried his gun in our home church, he (out of respect) got the pastor and the board's permission to have it in there.
    Back when respect was a two way street.

I've always been told you're supposed to ask the pastors permission, now that information could have been false of course. Thank you for all your input!

I think there are some states that do have the law referring to "places of worship" where you can't unless you have permission from either the Pastor or board of directors, dependent on the governmental structure of the church.

Quote Originally Posted by DooFstersGirl View Post
    I've always been told you're supposed to ask the pastors permission, now that information could have been false of course. Thank you for all your input!
    In Nevada it is false, yet in other states itbisvtrue. I just wanted to make sure that some instructor was not giving bad info again.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Back when respect was a two way street.
    When it comes to my family safety respect does not apply. Are people so naive to think the bad guys ask?

I greatly appreciate what you've said Vegassteve. I'm always willing to learn new things to further my knowledge.

I am not aware of any "place of worship" clauses in Nevada. But the point about the Licensed Daycare should not be overlooked.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    ---
    Carry On

I can understand the licensed daycare stand point, I don't think we'd have to worry about that in a wedding chapel tho would we?

Only if the chapel is a church, that has a child care section. If it's a chapel, like with Elvis, then probably not an issue.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    ---
    Carry On