• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in a Wedding Chapel

DooFstersGirl

We are going to a wedding Saturday night at a chapel on the strip and of course want to carry. Are there any rules against carrying in a wedding chapel or special provisions that need to be taken into account? I know that if you want to carry at a church you need the pastors permission to carry there, do they consider the wedding chapel to be a church?

FallonJeeper

No restrictions "legally". You don't really need to ask the preacher for permission. But just as any other private property, they can ask you to lock your firearm in your car or leave.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...if you want to carry at a church you need the pastors permission to carry there...

Only in the same way that you need the Wal-Mart manager's permission to carry while shopping. It is implied unless you are asked to leave.

DooFster

That's how I was raised when growing up in Michigan. Before my father carried his gun in our home church, he (out of respect) got the pastor and the board's permission to have it in there... Plus I believe it is Michigan law to ask... Please don't quote me on it.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

That's how I was raised when growing up in Michigan. Before my father carried his gun in our home church, he (out of respect) got the pastor and the board's permission to have it in there.
Back when respect was a two way street.

DooFstersGirl

I've always been told you're supposed to ask the pastors permission, now that information could have been false of course. Thank you for all your input!

jdholmes

I think there are some states that do have the law referring to "places of worship" where you can't unless you have permission from either the Pastor or board of directors, dependent on the governmental structure of the church.

Vegassteve

I've always been told you're supposed to ask the pastors permission, now that information could have been false of course. Thank you for all your input!

In Nevada it is false, yet in other states itbisvtrue. I just wanted to make sure that some instructor was not giving bad info again.

Merlin

I am not aware of any "place of worship" clauses in Nevada. But the point about the Licensed Daycare should not be overlooked.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

DooFstersGirl

I can understand the licensed daycare stand point, I don't think we'd have to worry about that in a wedding chapel tho would we?

Merlin

Only if the chapel is a church, that has a child care section. If it's a chapel, like with Elvis, then probably not an issue.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2